Question about Tenders to Cococay

MzItaly79

There were 3 tenders running last week while we were there. I never actually saw life vests but there were two large boxes at the front of the tender (I was on the top deck both trips) that clearly stated that life vests were located inside.

There were 3 tenders running last week while we were there. I never actually saw life vests but there were two large boxes at the front of the tender (I was on the top deck both trips) that clearly stated that life vests were located inside.

Well I might have to ask them to open their little box and let my DH wear one. He can't swim and he may want one even if he does look insane lol.

:eek:

I'm sure they won't mind. Everyone was SO friendly and accommodating.

If your DH sits on the top deck, have him sit in the middle. The tenders can really get 'wobbly' if the water is choppy and he might feel unsafe if he's sitting on the outside end. Just a word of advice...if you sit on the bottom deck, I wouldn't sit next to the edge if I were you. On one of the tenders a man got sick on the upper deck and threw up over the edge...you can just imagine where the vomit went. :eek: Everyone felt so badly for everyone involved.

All of the tenders have lifejackets stored under neath the seats. The tenders are actually lifeboats.

Not at CocoCay. They have two special-built high capacity double deck tenders for the island. I believe they were named "Coco-Cutter 1" and "Coco Cutter 2".

• 2 months later...

you are exactly right prc, Coco-Cutter 1 and Coco Cutter 2 and the life jackets are stored in boxes which are clearly marked. Sometimes the seas are a little rough but it's a short ride that's well worth it!! Go around to the very private side of the island. It's wonderful!!

So exactly how do you get to the private side of the island? Is it a long walk? Are there chairs and shade available there? Are there several places for the barbeque like on Labadee and is there close access to the food area from the private side?

max'smom, I don't know all of those answers but I'll tell you what I can.

I've read on here that to walk around the entire island is only approx. 1 mile, so you can tell it's not large. Once we started walking it was so peaceful that we were in a private area before we knew it. There's a volleyball area and hammocks over by the rental area (as well as hammocks being spread throughout the island). It wasn't busy there at all. Most everyone seems to stay in the area by the snorkeling and food area.

The food area consists of a couple of 'stands' with the meats, beans, rolls, fruits, drinks, etc. You just get what you want and take it wherever you want to eat it. They have several picnic tables in the area and when we were there everyone just shared tables and talked like old friends. The food is by the snorkeling shack/lounge chairs/restrooms so if you're on the other side of the island you'll have to walk back to get your food. In my opinion there was plenty of shady areas on the island.

Someone has posted a map of Coco Cay on here before. I'll see if I can find it for you. :)

Thanks for that info and map, gumbalz! We have been to Labadee a number of times, so I imagine it will be similar. I don't like to be around the crowds, but my husband can't walk a long way, so we'll have to see where we can park ourselves. Looks like there are two places for food. We will be there on Christmas Day! That should be special.

How fun! You'll love it. I've never been to Labadee, so I can't compare the two but if you read posts on here you'll see that some like Coco Cay better and some like Labadee better. Hardly anyone says they don't like either. :)

Just a thought, they had wheelchairs right off the tender that had very large tires to get through the sand. Maybe you could get one of those to help your DH get around the island. I don't know if they're reserved or you rent them or what...but I did see them.

I have photos of Coco Cay in my signature below, if you'd like to take a look. You can see the wheelchair I'm speaking of in this photo. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gumballzcruise/detail?.dir=6641scd&.dnm=3465scd.jpg&.src=ph

Thanks again, gumbalz. Great pictures. Yes, we've seen those wheelchairs. They are neat, but he's not quite ready for that yet. Looks really pretty there. Hope the hurricanes don't pound it this year. Labadee is very similar but there are mountains all around.....quite beautiful. Hopefully we can find a nice tree and a couple of chairs. I guess the trick is to get there early.

Archived