prickly pear island snorkel & lunch april 12th

flcruzer

Hi everyone:just booked with kelly for Wednesday April 12 for snorkeling, rum punch and lunch. 10 am to 4 pm/ see http://www.pricklypearisland.com/her phone number is 268/460-9978. all for 65pp, she's looking for more people if you are interested. They only take 25 people. I saw this excursion from fodor's 2006 caribbean book, They recommended it. looks good. come join us.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry everyone for the delay in posting this review but well worth the wait. Wow! what a beautiful little island, Terrence, Miquels' son had someone waiting at the pier to take us to his launching area about 15 minutes away.Then Terrence introduced his family and took us by boat for a 10 minute ride to his island, prickly pear, owned by his father and mother who I guess are now retired. They make you wonderful food like fried plantains, lobster salad, bbq conch, mahi mahi and all the drinks you would ever need. Lounge chairs are laid out for you with umbrellas and you can do nothing or go snorkeling, right there off the sand. We saw one large sea turtle, lots of fish and even a huge baracuda. You could stay for as long as you wanted normal time is 10am to 4pm but we stayed until 2:30 so we could have some shopping time in town. For $65.00 a person you can't beat it!!! We heard from fellow passengers that Dickenson beach was expensive, very crowed and dirty. P.S. If you have a large group he can accomodate up to 20.

I had 28 persons in my group that were there. Terrance made every request happen. They would have taken more persons if we had more so I believe they can handle even more.

The boat ride is a short one and they have 2 boats that can take up to 14 per.

Miguel, the father, is the most interesting person to speak with. He has so much history to offer and even the young adults in my group were interested in what he had to say.

I was so impressed that his entire family helps with this business. They just got the lease papers for the island after all these years so will now be improving the existing bar,kitchen area and adding more decking over the water.

One comment on their response time. Since this is a Mom & Pop operation from home, when they have computer problems it takes awhile to get it all taken care of. I paniced after not hearing back from then for over 2 weeks but all was well, the computer was being re-built. So no worries if you do not hear back, they will get in touch before you arrival date.

Archived