Galaxy: Did you do any of the ship's tours in Athens, Mykonos, Santorini or Rhodes?

mlbcruiser

I would like to hear input from anyone who did any of the tours offered in Athens, Santorini, Mykonos or Rhodes when on the Galaxy. A couple of them sound worthwhile but I am wondering if the tours are just cattle calls or boringly narrated bus tours or what? We have some independent tours booked for other ports but I am considering a couple offered by the ship in these ports. Mainly because I'm not sure we'd be able to see large areas without spending a fair amount trying to do it by ourselves. And, if anyone has any input about good things to see that are cheap and easy to do in these places on our own, please feel free to comment! Thanks for any replies.

We did a ship tour in Santorini while on the Galaxy last summer. It was several hours long, and included a stop at a winery where we enjoyed generous samples on a terrace with a spectacular view overlooking the water. We also had an hour or so explore to our own in Oia. We enjoyed the tour, though we would have liked more time in Oia. The tour ended in Fira, where we spent the afternoon on our own before returning to the ship. Yes, it was narrated. Whether or not it was boring depends what you like. We enjoy learning about the area from local guides. Yes, it was on bus. Cattle call? If a bus load of people is a cattle call you, then I guess that's what it was. We had a great time, but it doesn't sound like it is for you. Many people report taking the local bus, a taxi, or renting a car. Our tablemates rented motor scooters and had loads of fun. Santorini isn't very big (nor is Mykonos), so I don't think you need a ship's excursion in order to see a lot.

We did not do an excursion in Mykonos. I think the only one offered was to the ruins on the island of Delos. We simply wandered around town all day, shopping, taking photos, and sampling the local food and wine. Like Santorini, it's incredibly pictureseque. It was a delightful day.

Wew did not visit Athens or Rhodes.

Have a great cruise.

MLBcruiser

We took the Galaxy Eastern Med 09/05. You can read my review in this link.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=13190

You can do the ship's tours, but often booking on your own is best or just go into town as the other poster said and do your own. My review has some other links you might find interesting. you can email me if you have any further questions/

Wander over to the Europe board, search on Greek islands and you will find lots of info on your ports.

Have a great trip

Al

Joanne, your assessment of the tours sounded very fair. I did see that particular tour offered, but we have been to wineries in various places and that is not high at all on our list, so that one isn't for us. One bus full isn't such a cattle call. But I will say we are impatient types sometimes and, like you, would no doubt want more time in Oia. We also so want to spend time in Fira. BUT! We also like to hear about a place from someone who knows about it. (I try to read up, but there is just SO MUCH on this trip!) If it didn't sound so easy to do it ourselves, I guess we would do the ship's tour. We like the idea of scooters, even though I am CERTAIN they probably have a lot of wrecks from tourists! Guess we'll assess that once we are there. Prob. end up w/buses or cabs when we want to go someplace. I appreciate your input. Thank you!

KruzinAL, very interesting review! Lots of good info. We already have some independent tours for Kusadasi and Orienthouse (now you have me a bit worried over that one!) and there are a number of people from our C.C. roll call also going w/the same guide. He does incl. all admission fees and we have read he gets good seats at Orienthouse for his clients. Let's hope! I doubt what we pay for that is worth it either, but it looks so fun on the web!

We've never yet sailed Celebrity though this will be the 20th cruise for me, and 18th for my dh. The outdoor eating area in the back that you mention will no doubt be the place for us! (Tahitian Princess had that and so did the old Norway, and we used their outdoor area a lot!) I may have questions for you down the road (we are going in June, though). If so, I will email you.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...
I would like to hear input from anyone who did any of the tours offered in Athens, Santorini, Mykonos or Rhodes when on the Galaxy. A couple of them sound worthwhile but I am wondering if the tours are just cattle calls or boringly narrated bus tours or what? We have some independent tours booked for other ports but I am considering a couple offered by the ship in these ports. Mainly because I'm not sure we'd be able to see large areas without spending a fair amount trying to do it by ourselves. And, if anyone has any input about good things to see that are cheap and easy to do in these places on our own, please feel free to comment! Thanks for any replies.

I've been to all those places independantly but we are also sailing on the Galaxy in November. We are taking the Galaxy shore excursion in Athens for the Acropolis tour and Mykonos for the Delos Tour, Santorini and Rhodes we are doing on our own. Santorini and Rhodes you can easily do on your own and they are fun to explore. The old town of Rhodes is right off the pier and is wonderful to wonder around in. You can take a public bus to Lindos, Rhodes to see the ACROPOLIS the view is incredible. Santorini is easy to explore on your own and don't miss the black sand beach (just bring shoes if it's summer). Mykonos if you are into ancient history then don't miss Delos, otherwise it's another easy island to see on your own. Athens it's up to you. I'm traveling with a 12 and 8 year old so I'd rather make it easy in Athens without any hassels since the pier is not in Athens proper like Santorini, Rhodes and Mykonos.

The Galaxy Eastern Mediterranean was our favorite cruise of the 10 we have done (including 4 European). What a delight for the lovers of ancient history.

One of my favorite ship excursions was from Mykonos to Delos, entirely an archaeology site. Our guide was fantastic and the site very magical. We loved it; since we are into ancient archaeology, it was wonderful for us.

In Santorini the first time, we took an excursion around the island, wine tasting, and to the archaeology museum. It was too slow and inactive for us; we like a lot of exercise and not being constrained by a large group. We could have done the archaeology museum on our own -- it is right there in town. The excursion was okay, but I rather have had the time on our own. The second time in Santorini we took a cab to Oia and Akrotiri, the ancient Minoan site from around 1300-1500bc. Fira (town to which you tender) and Oia are absolutely beautiful towns. And Akrotiri (out of town -- around 30 min.) and the archaeology museum (in town) are very fascinating.

In Athens, we did the Acropolis and Cape Sounion tour. The Acropolis is very interesting and spectacular of course, but also very crowded. Cape Sounion was very beautiful although it is a long (& scenic) drive out there. We were pleased we took a tour that included Cape Sounion. The second time in Athens we took a private tour to Ancient Corinth and to Mycenae (1200-1500bc), which was absolutely fantastic.

In Rhodes, we walked around the town. It is a great walking town. We really enjoyed the archaeology museum there. Next time we'll go to Lindos and hopefully back to the archaeology museum.

Kathy

Archived