Miami, family of 6, 2 nights pre-cruise

cruzn06

We would appreciate hotel and transportation advice, as no one in my family has any experience with the Miami area.

Our family of two adults and four kids ages 6-16 plans to fly into Miami and rent a minivan, then stay at a hotel on the beach with a pool for two nights. We expect to have one adult drop off five of us plus luggage at the port, return the car and take a shuttle to the port. We plan to fly home the afternoon the cruise ends so we may take a ship-sponsored excursion that includes transportation to the airport. I hope this is a good plan for us.

Where can we get a room or suite that sleeps 6? Which places (or areas) can be recommended? We want to stay somewhere nice but not too expensive. I've spent hours looking at all sorts of websites and forums and can't figure out where is a good place to stay and also affordable, especially if we need to get two rooms. I noticed that many places charge for parking as well. We'd prefer not to deal with valet parking, and to have some places to eat nearby. Is there any reason to choose one rental car company ahead of any other?

Thanks in advance for any help. My head is spinning trying to plan the first cruise with kids. Still need to get plane tickets, reserve rooms in Miami, buy rolling luggage, buy more clothes, work on packing lists... We're going in July.

I think I may have found what we're looking for but need to do some more research. The Newport Beachside Resort in North Miami Beach has 2 bedroom units, it's on the beach and has a pool and costs under $200 a night.

Archived