Old Town San Juan & Bioiluminescent Bay ???

TravelWorks

Hello,

I have a group of 30-40 (includes some teens and children) that will only be in San Juan from 5pm -11pm on April 30th 2007~ next year!

We WANT TO see Old town San Juan...and then all go do the kayaking at Las Croabas de San Juan Reserve to see the bioiluminescent organisms light up in the water at night...

Is this possible...

Is there a private guide/tour operator that could do a custom tour for our large group????

Thanks in Advance.

Amy

The bay is over and hour drive away. There is no way a tour operator can go and come back in time. Best to just stay in the old city.

For more information ask the tourist board government certified tour operators,

http://travelandsports.com/cgi-bin/exp.cgi?lng=ENG&typ=TO&lk=to

Thanks for the linK!!!

I just sent them an email.

Carnival is offering the tour to the Bay that night...

I was hoping we could do it all!

I didn't realize it was that far...

Thanks again.

Amy

We just did the bay, on our own, in March. We were not sailing this time, just there for a week. My opinion...don't try the bay on your own, do it through the ship. Traffic was heavy and they were in no hurry to move us into the water once we were there. As posted above, the ride is a long one. I would only risk it through the ship so you are covered if you arrive back late. Just an FYI, we left our hotel in Condado at 6:20, picked up a few people, went to kayak and did not return until after midnight.

We just did the bay, on our own, in March. We were not sailing this time, just there for a week. My opinion...don't try the bay on your own, do it through the ship. Traffic was heavy and they were in no hurry to move us into the water once we were there. As posted above, the ride is a long one. I would only risk it through the ship so you are covered if you arrive back late. Just an FYI, we left our hotel in Condado at 6:20, picked up a few people, went to kayak and did not return until after midnight.

nerak...

Watcher in the Woods/ Betty Davis film/1978....Karen???

Love it if its true!

Anyway...

You were there for a week....can you please tell me...

IF we don't have time to do bio bay tour...what would be your recommendation...?

What is something great to see...?

Is old town cool?

Would you pay for a tour guide...do it on your own...

or do something else???

What was your favorite thing you did in San Juan...?

Thanks for your help.

Amy

TravelWorks...

I can't be a lot of help because we became beach bums. Old San Juan is good (don't know if I would say 'cool'), and no, don't pay for a tour. You can pick up a map if you want it. You can go for tours of the Governors Palace and gardens for free, but I think they end by 3:30. Take a walk around the sea wall, visit the gates. Go to El Morro. We sat out there and watched the ships come in beginning around 3:00 one day. There is an awesome cemetary there too. The view is amazing all around the fort. Check out the bricks on the streets, they are blue due to the process they went through to make them and time. Trolleys travel around OSJ for free. There ar esome very interesting statues throughout the ctown. Go to the bus terminal and catch a public bus to Condado or Isla Verde for 75 cents each way. Just remember on returning they do have a quitting time and do run on 'approximate' schedules. Another trip we did not do, but wanted to, was the caves. You just aren't going to have the right time of day. With your time, I would stay in OSJ...maybe eat at the Parrott Club (very good).

I would seriously look into the bio bay if you can book through the ship...it was an awesome experience. I would love to do it on a night with no moon next time.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more.

Karen :D

"Nerak" - We've booked the Bio Bay thru the ship and the moon calendar says it is the perfect time to go. The description of the tour isn't too specific. Can you give some more details so we'll know what to expect? Thanks so much!

Sorry to dispute the naysayers - we've done BIO BAY twice on two separate cruises. It's very easy - our favorite plan:

Rent a car from Charlies spend the afternoon at the rainforest - hike to LaMina Falls for a swim (long hike, but lots of fun)! Drive East have dinner(lots of restaurants along the way-everything from local to Pizza Hut).

Do the Bio Bay tour that departs at 7:00pm-kayak to the bay through the mangrove at dusk. This tour gets back about 8:30pm. Drive back(very little late evening traffic. Drop car at Charlie's-catch a cab to the ship - we got back both times around 10pm.

I've never done the bio bay through a ship tour but the people I talked to just didn't have the same experience. Being able to actually get in the water - it's AMAZING. Our 2 teens want to do it every time we are in PR.

Older teens are very hard to impress, but they just love the "glowing bay" - it's like nothing else we've ever done. Don't miss it-especially if the moon conditions are right at the time you will be there!

"Nerak" - We've booked the Bio Bay thru the ship and the moon calendar says it is the perfect time to go. The description of the tour isn't too specific. Can you give some more details so we'll know what to expect? Thanks so much!

Glad to hear it is a perfect time to go. Unfortunately we had 1/2 moon, right on the border of them not taking us...we did have cloud cover and some rain though.

Okay...when we got there they gave us life jackets which were mandantory, then we got into a circle and they explained 'how' to paddle. BTW...don't take anything you do not want to get wet. We wore swim suits and flipflops. It was a little chilly at first with the rain, but the workout warmed us up. They did tell us that water cameras would not capture the glow. We walked over to the kayaks and stepped into the water. We took turns boarding and paddling in to the harbor. After a brief meeting there, they told us to go one by one and follow a certain color of glow stick on the kayaks. Okay, into the canal lined with mangroves. We were going against the current which took a little more effort than coming out. You also have to stay to the right as another group may be passing you on the other side. Yes, things are hanging from the trees. :eek: You couldn't really see it, but you could occasionally feel it. The canal is only abut 4 feet deep they said. You could stick your paddle into the sand to stop if need be. At some points, the canal is very dark due to a canopy...absolutely awesome as you will begin to see the glow while in there. At one place they made us completely stop, and then they physically gave us a big push to get us through a current. Guides are with you at all times and they do have lights they can turn on if necessary. Once you are through the canal...my guess is 25 minutes of paddling, you are in a lagoon. Again every one meets to talk, but most every one was too excited to listen very long. Then the big moment...you get in! It feels like bath water...very warm and just too cool to even describe. The hardest part was getting back into the kayak without flipping my daughter back out of it. They will help you and talk you through getting back in. Trust me though, I did not find it easy. I had to look like a beached whale trying to survive. After that, back through the canal and into the harbor...a much shorter trip as you are going with the current. In the harbor the paddling was tough due to the waves from the weather we were having. Every one made it just fine though.

Sorry this is so long, but that should cover it. Let me know if there is anything else.

serene56

Yes, kids can do it IF they have someone who can handle the kayak if they get tired. As I said above, you are going against the current going out and waves in the harbor. Other than that it is just a matter of being able to sychronize the paddling. We did see one kay from another group being 'towed' back by a guide. You might want to check to see if there is an age limit. I know there was a weight limit of something like 400 pounds per kayak.

Thanks so much for taking time to write back. Sounds a little scary in the dark and a little difficult to paddle. Did you really see the "glow"? Do you recommend the trip and think it's worthwhile? I can't tell if you liked it or not.

Bevard

Do the trip!!!!! It is a definite must, especially if you are going to have little moon. We plan to return to San Juan and if the conditions are great, I will do it again. Now my daughter on the other hand, who is 21, hated the really dark places on the trip and I know she would not be going with me. She is not real fond of the dark to begin with, then when things dangle in your hair and face (like in a haunted house) and fish are jumping like crazy in the canal, she wasn't having the best time. Don't get me wrong, she couldn't resist getting into the water at the bay for a very brief period.

As for the paddling, I will admitt that I started getting a little tired on the way into the bay, but about the time that hit we were there. Kayaking is not something that I am used to, but it is not hard. Like I said the way out was easy until we hit the harbor again, but I think it was only rough due to the waves from the weather.

Almost forgot....the glow, yes!!! It looks something like a lighted swimming pool at night as you stir up the plankton. When fish would jump, the rimg they leave was rings of blue. I can only imagine how intense it would be on an 'excellent' night.

Go!!!! I would love to have your opportunity.

Wow! This sounds great and is definitely something we've never done before. The details made all the difference to us in deciding whether or not to book this tour. We may even have a chance to see one of the forts in San Juan prior to the Bio Bay tour since we arrive in port at noon. Thanks so much for the good info!

bevard,

You should have plenty of time to check out a fort or OSU. I guess it depends on what time your excursion will leave. Depending on where you are docked, it could be a short walk to El Morro. There are also tours of the Governors Palace throughout the day....again walking distance if you are not ported at the Pan AM pier (RCI or Celebrity)...also close to the a city gate and the walk around the sea wall. I hope you really enjoy the trip.

Bevard...

You will be fine. Nothing happened to anyone on our trip. Remember the canal is very shallow. Just be prepared to go in rain, that was the worst part for me. Be sure to let me know how it goes, I'm always checking the boards. They're just too addictive.

I just booked the Crown Princess for this June, and was interested in the bioluminescent tour. I quickly checked a lunar calendar, and found out that I will be in San Juan the night after a new moon...so this trip should be perfect. Thanks for providing such a thorough summary...

Hello,

I have a group of 30-40 (includes some teens and children) that will only be in San Juan from 5pm -11pm on April 30th 2007~ next year!

We WANT TO see Old town San Juan...and then all go do the kayaking at Las Croabas de San Juan Reserve to see the bioiluminescent organisms light up in the water at night...

Is this possible...

Is there a private guide/tour operator that could do a custom tour for our large group????

Thanks in Advance.

Amy

Since there will be a full moon May 2, 2007, April 30th will not be a great time to go...

Archived