cold here, warm there?

howsthis

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has advice on cruising in May to Vanuatu etc. Is it still quite warm there then because it's probably going to be pretty cool when we leave. I imagine the first few days could be quite cool till we reach the islands. Any advice?

It is warm there all year round. We cruised in July and by the 2nd day of cruising we were in shorts and tshirts. The ship is airconditioned so it is only outside in the wind that you would be cold for those first couple of days and last couple.

Oh, and welcome to this wonderful site.

Hi Aussiedisneyfan

Was the weather conditions generally fine at that time of the year as my family and I are going at the end of June and are alittle worried about being cold. Is the water warm enough to swim in the islands and what was the pool temp like on the ship?

Cheers Keith

It is warm there all year round. We cruised in July and by the 2nd day of cruising we were in shorts and tshirts. The ship is airconditioned so it is only outside in the wind that you would be cold for those first couple of days and last couple.

Oh, and welcome to this wonderful site.

Thank you for info and for your welcome, it is a good site from what I have seen so far.

Hey Keith,

The water temp at the beaches and weather too was just fine. I swam at all the beaches with no problem. It is warm. Got sunburnt and sweated up a storm in Vila.

I didn't use the pool, thought the water in that was a bit cold but it didn't stop plenty of other people using it.

May I ask where you guys live?

Because I grew up in tassie and would swim in Nannas pool in Newcastle in May but now live in Queensland and can't even handle her pool in December :) I also wore shorts and singlets when on holiday in QLD in may years ago but you would now find me in jumpers and even coats at night in may :)

I live in Canberra, so yes it is all relative. I used to live in Newcastle and remember the May school holidays in QLD swimming away. When we were up there a few years back in March the water was too cold for me. Turning into a sook.

I will check my folder tonight about our July cruise. It has all the temps listed for each day. Trust me, if I went swimming then it wasn't cold.

The weather from my cruise was:

06/7/04 Sydney 19

07/7/04 Cruising 17

08/7/04 Cruising 20

09/7/04 Cruising 22

10/7/04 Lamen Bay 25

11/7/04 Vila 24

12/7/04 Lifou 22

13/7/04 Noumea 21

14/7/04 Cruising 19

15/7/04 Cruising 19

16/7/04 Sydney 18

If I remember correctly I wasn't boiling hot in any ports just found a lot more humid than what I am used to. In Canberra summer days are often over 30 but very little humidity. I think on the last couple of days we wore jeans with a tshirt and a jacket for outside.

Hi Sarze

I used to live in Qld and now live in Sydney (6 years now) I know what you mean, when I first came here I found it too cold to go to the beach however I have seemed to adjust and cant stand going back to Brissy to visit the family in Summer.

Cheers Keith

Thanks Aussiedisneyfan

I think i'll be able to bear it if the water temp is arounf 24 degrees. My kids have no feeling when it comes to cold water in pools so I suspect they will be on the water slide no matter what the temp is outside. Did you find it too cool out on the deck for the first couple of days leaving Sydney? I would expect from what you have posted that the days would have been sensational on the islands. I went to Asia on the Fairstar in May and the temp and humidity were horendus with the airconditioning barley able to cope as it was 36 - 38 outside and the ocean temp was 30 degrees. I managed to maintain my weight throughout the cruise as I was sweating it out.

Do you have any tips for cruising that time of the year?

Cheers Keith

Archived