Category Guarantee

Rita1234

We are travelling to Alaska on Mercury July 14th. The price just dropped for an outside guarantee from $1499 to $1099. Only the guarantee dropped, not the specific cabins. The deal was too good to pass up, so I gave up my cabin on deck8 and went for a Cat 8 Outside guarantee. I know I could end up with the worst Outside cabin on the ship, and I am willing to take that risk for a $800 savings for my daughter and I. The question I have is, what is your experience with a guarantee? Did you get upgraded to a higher category, or was it a total disaster?

I've booked guarantees a few times, but only got upgraded once, from a cat 8 to a cat 7. Even without upgrades I've always been happy with the cabin. For that big a difference in price I would have done the same thing.

Terri

We had 2 guarantees on our first sailing for an oceanview. They gave us rooms side by side and they were decent. For future reference, on our Alaska cruise we had set veranda rooms and when the price dropped X went ahead and gave us the price difference, even without going to a guarantee. It's always worth asking, then if they say no, switch to the guarantee.

You will enjoy Alaska. Happy Sailing!

I have always been a little sceptical about the upgrade fairly as we've never experienced her good works until now.

We booked a short 3 night cruise last week on Century in June for ourselves and my partner's daugther. We booked a guarantee inside for her and her boyfriend. This morning we received a notification from our travel agent with her cabin number on. They now have an outside cabin which she is thrilled with. So, sometimes the upgrade fairy does come along after all. I guess you never know.

I have always been a little sceptical about the upgrade fairly as we've never experienced her good works until now.

We booked a short 3 night cruise last week on Century in June for ourselves and my partner's daugther. We booked a guarantee inside for her and her boyfriend. This morning we received a notification from our travel agent with her cabin number on. They now have an outside cabin which she is thrilled with. So, sometimes the upgrade fairy does come along after all. I guess you never know.

Thats great Ali! What a nice surprise for them.

I booked a Concierge guarantee and did just fine, but also knowing that catagory didn't really have a bad choice in cabins. I shouldn't tell, but I even called them after it was assigned and asked for and was granted a different cabin! This is not the norm, but I think since it was not a full sailing they had no problem.

Thank you for all the replies. I had originally booked a ocean view cabin next to the kids clubs, so I wouldn't have to walk to far with my daughter. But then I realized that Mercury is the smallest ship I have been on (went on Disney Magic, Wonder, and Voyager of the Seas before) so the walk wouldn't be too bad no matter which deck we ended up on. I am willing to walk quite far for $800 savings. Because I was on the opposite end of where the kids club was on Voyager I felt like I spent the whole cruise walking to and from the clubs. I don't think I will feel that way on this ship.

Hope the upgrade fairy is with us, if not I will be happy with a Category 8. As long as I don't have to cook, clean, work, I'm happy.

Archived