"Tie The Knot" wedding on the ship

Maustang

This is my first post so I hope I do this correctly. My fiance and I are hoping to be married by the captain on one of the Princess ships. We have a list of the ships where this is possible and now need to pick an itinerary. We've cruised the Caribbean a number of times and want to do something different this time. The only Hawaiian option is 15 days return from LA. There are lots of European options. Does anyone have any advice for us? We haven't picked a date yet....looking at prices and itineraries first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Moe

I'd go with whatever itinerary you'd most like to have associated with your wedding. I'd be more inclined to get married on a Europe cruise--sounds more romantic to me. I would guess that the weddings on the Hawaii trip would be on one of the many sea days coming or going--probably not when you'd atually be sailing between the Islands.

I just did a Hawaii round trip from LA on Celebrity. I don't think that I'd choose that way to go to Hawaii again--I'd fly, spend some time on one/more islands, and do an inter-island cruise on NCL.

I got married by the Captain on the Grand about 4 years ago, and am very glad I did. It's a great choice.

Congratulations.

I too was planning to do this till I found out that you get married in port, not at sea. I was not really keen on that idea. Make sure it will be exactly what you are looking for. We ended up getting married in Puerto Rico prior to our cruise and that was very nice as well.

According to the info we have from Princess they offer 3 different wedding packages. The "Tie The Knot At Sea" package is available on "at sea" days and performed by the Captain. The other 2 packages (haborside and ashore) say "a local officiant will perform the ceremony". We're wondering if "at sea" has to be an entire day without a port stop or can it be a day when the ship leaves the port earlier. For instance on the Greek Isles itinerary you board the ship in Venice, spend the night on the ship and leave Venice at 1 pm. Can we then plan to be married later that day once we're at sea? Maybe that still doesn't count as an "at sea" day???

Moe

We got married on Glory last June but i understand that you can get married at sea on Princess..it is the only cruise line you can. I would recommend the wedding boards they are a huge help. Maybe people can give you their experiences that might help you make a decision on what itinerary you want.

hi mustang i think tieing the knot at sea is romantic,very nice touch:))),as far as cruise,how about the british isles itinerary on the golden princess,which has a stop at paris!!! good idea huh?,well at least i think so lol,this is also a great cruise me and my wife loved this cruise and had a really good time,or you could do it also on the star i believe:))) anyway my best wishes to you and your new wife,may you have a super great time enjoy:)))):p ;)

I too was planning to do this till I found out that you get married in port, not at sea. I was not really keen on that idea. Make sure it will be exactly what you are looking for. We ended up getting married in Puerto Rico prior to our cruise and that was very nice as well.

We got married at sea by the Captain. As of about 4 years ago, Princess had 3 different packages that included getting married by the Captain at sea. They varied in the champagne (domestic, Moet, Dom Perignon) that was provided, the accompanyment (recorded music, piano, or string quartet), and other items (such as spa treatments included, number of photos included, etc.). As I recall, the prices (then) ranged from $1000 to $2400. We selected the highest level, primarily because we liked the idea of the string quartet. It is my understanding that there are a lot of cruise lines where you can get married in port, but only Princess can have the Captain do it at sea. Princess tapes the ceremony and gives you several copies. They also have a wedding cam that will allow you to make the ceremony available to anyone that wants to watch it live over the internet (but only if you want them to put it on the internet). They gave us a chart that shows the ships location when we got married.

I thought it was great, and would highly recommend it to anyone. One drawback is that if you want anyone there, they have to take the cruise with you. It's like having your whole wedding party with you on the honeymoon.

I was also married at sea on Grand Princess my Captain Giuseppe Romano back in 2003.

Wonderful program, I highly recommend talking to one of the wedding coordinators.

Nowdays they do digital pictures; we had to FedEx 40lbs of proofs and carry the negatives that we bought as part of the package (we own them all). Video is probably better now, DVD was new at the time.

Coolest thing was the wedding cake followed us all over the ship. Eat dinner in a dining room, and we could have the cake. Sabatini's? It's there. Painted Desert, yep. Covered in marzipan, so it's durable, and oh so delish!

For our party of 8, we had the Wheelhouse bar for 4 hours with a bar tender and a waitstaff. Plus the string quartet was there for an hour.

We ended up 6 months later doing the same ship again, this time without the wedding party. Captain Romano recognized us by face, it was really cool. :)

My DD was married in Miami aboard a RCCL ship. There were 30 friends and relatives sailing along with the happy couple. The newlyweds flew to St. Marten after the cruise, but they said they really missed all the fun and activities on the cruise.

Moe,

I have not attended nor were we married at sea. But our last cruise when we were eating in the buffet a couple was meeting with the consultant about their at sea wedding with the consultant. They were at the next table. The attention to detail to make their day perfect was nice to sorta of over hear.

That was one major wedding they had, we also after the event a day later saw the bridesmaids in their dresses having a snack in the buffet. Looked like Princess really does a nice job.

And yes on a cruise we spend a lot of time in the buffet. But then my husband and I met in the college cafeteria, we just like to graze through for snacks and such. A nice place to sit.

Archived