Food Quality Opinion pls?

dmk

I am just back from a 12 night cruise through Panama Canal, and I think that overall the food was fine. The last time we were on Galaxy, about 2 years ago, I found the food to much better- the food in The Orion could not be faulted, on a par with any London high class restaurant. This time, well, not quite what it was, but nothing to complain about.

We suffered an outbteak of the dreaded "cruise ship mystery virus" towards the end of our cruise. We were not struck down, but people we knew were, and boy, did they suffer. The ships crew did a total clean down, which was reassuring, spraying every surface and scrubbing everywhere. The cause- who knows. Celebrity state that it is not a food poisoning issue. I would tend to question this point- the buffet food served is always , always, not hot enough, quite often cool to luke warm.

In the UK it is a legal requirement for food to be held and served above a certain temperature- I can tell you that the buffet food on this trip was well below what would be considered to be in a safe temp. zone. Pathogenic bacteria just love these conditions, and will multiply to dangerous levels in a short space of time.

Celebrity- take notice, serve your buffet food piping hot, and help protect your passengers from days of illness and confinement to a stateroom for three days.

I am just back from a 12 night cruise through Panama Canal, and I think that overall the food was fine.

We board Galaxy may 6th. I hope the Norwalk is gone by then.

We have been sailing with Celebrity since 2002. I am sure those that sailed with them prior to the Millie class ships encountered a different operation. When Celebrity built the Millie class ships they obviously made a decision to go after a much wider market. That wider market seemed to be the portion of the center of the market that wanted a "touch of class" but at mass market prices. Thus they chose to no longer compete directly with Crystal, Oceania, etc. in the market they serve.

In our opinion, since the made that decision and our first Celebrity cruise in 2002 they have been true to that target market. While there may been menu items that change from time to time and they attempt to tweek their product like the revisions in the set up of the buffet restaurant, we see no meaningful negative changes indicating a trend. The food,for example, both in the dining room and buffet has been quite the same, in quality and quanity, since 2002, and that quality is excellent.

While some may wish to harken back to the days before the Millie class ships came on the scene I don't see that happening. Celebrity has attempted to offer a little bit of that through the introduction of the Concierage Class but if they did that ship wide they would have to raise prices across the board and they would be sailing with less than half empty ships.

Those that want that service and quality will have to go with Crystal, Oceania, etc. but so will they go with those prices as well.

I have no huge criticisms of the food aboard Celebrity. I have enjoyed it thoroughly for the past 8 cruises. The only thing that I found on my cruise to Hawaii last month was the poor quality of the beef. I had hoped it was just on my cruise but others have substantiated that they had also had tough cuts of meats.

My question to Celebrity is:

WHERE's THE BEEF:rolleyes:

All that being said this will not deter me from cruising with Celebrity.:D

Hi Everyone !

I was on Century about a month ago, and we thought the food was as good as ever. We even liked the updated menus. It was just the right amount of change... not too little, not too much.

Archived