What to do in Port Canaveral?

bremmerh

• 2 weeks later...

Not too far from Kennedy Space Center is a place called Jungle Adventures. This is one of the best places we have been in Florida. You get to hold a baby alligator, pet other animals, tour the swamp (with many alligators!)- on a boat and on foot, learn about the indians that are from there, watch the gators being fed, etc. We were very impressed with this place and it was fairly inexpensive. The gift shop has some really neat items also. It takes a few hours so you would probably want to get into the area a day early.

Check this map

http://maps.google.com/?t=h&*****=1&ll=28.356057,-80.60257&spn=0.141396,0.228653

Port Canaveral is the area at top center - right were 528 ends @ A1A, and A1A turns south.

Cocoa Beach is ~ 5 miles south on A1A if talking about the town. the 'beach' actually starts right at the south side of the channel entrance, which is a state park: Jetty Park, and then runs south basically unbroken 'til south of Patrick AFB ...

We are beach people and Coca Beach sounds great.

Would it be time well spent to just do the NCL excursion to the beach?

How is the beach, water etc. Could we fit in something else or just veg on the beach since we love it?

We are beach people and Coca Beach sounds great.

Would it be time well spent to just do the NCL excursion to the beach?

How is the beach, water etc. Could we fit in something else or just veg on the beach since we love it?

Well, I think it is a great beach - at low tide, very shallow water and in many areas very hard sand facilitating bike riding and the such. A popular surfer area in some parts...and THE beach for the Orlando crowd beng about 1/2 the distance that the St Pete area is. From the main Cocoa Beach area, you can also walk right into the town...plenty of places to find lunch - buy tourist crud. And one must not forget Ron Jon's ... one simply does not visit Cape Canaveral / Cocoa Beach without getting a shirt from Ron Jon. It simply, is NOT done.

The other main attraction is Kennedy Space Ctr - but as I've posted b4, read that web site carefully. KSC tours can be sold out ahead of time and/or early in the day, locking you out of "the good stuff". IMHO, KSC MIGHT be a case where a ship tour is better that rolling your own. Shop carefully.

{past resident, shopping for my retirement home there now....}

I was also wondering about Kennedy Space Center. Is it worth it to do the up close tour for the extra money, or is touring the center and IMAX enough to do with a 7,8 and 11 year old,..the older two love science and would love everything but I would hate to be rushed for the rest. Any comments. We will be leaving in 8 weeks and I want to book the tour ahead of time in case it sells out but which one, which one. Any comments will be greatly appreciated!!!!

I was also wondering about Kennedy Space Center. Is it worth it to do the up close tour for the extra money, or is touring the center and IMAX enough to do with a 7,8 and 11 year old,..the older two love science and would love everything but I would hate to be rushed for the rest. Any comments. We will be leaving in 8 weeks and I want to book the tour ahead of time in case it sells out but which one, which one. Any comments will be greatly appreciated!!!!

I much prefer the bus tours - when I went and only did the visitor ctr stuff, I felt I'd missed 'the good stuff'. And you can do IMAX a lot of places....

But that's just my 2 cents - here's a link to the old site....the historical stuff, and it actually shows more than you see on the tour!

http://www.robsv.com/cape/index.html

• 3 weeks later...

Archived