How many days for Rio??

Seal

We will be sailing from New Orleans January 2007 to Rio

Have not been to Rio--How many days would you think to see and enjoy Rio--We have one day on the ship and will book a hotel for the rest--Would love your advice

Thanks

Nancy:)

Hard call - depending upon your tastes, etc.

We've been to Rio once, just for the day (we were in transit on Royal Princess), and barely scratched the surface of things we wanted to see. It is located in a very pretty harbor setting.

Unfortunately, the crime rate is quite high, and we did not wander off by ourselves.

We took a guided tour to Christ the Redeemer Statue, which we enjoyed very much, even if we did pass "machine-gun toting" security personnel every dozen yards or so. Cogged-rail cars take you most of the way up the hill, but it is still a hard walk (climb) to the statue. Some wonderful vista viewing points up there - take a good camera.

I have a thing about heights, so didn't take the aerial cable car to the other famous mountain there (Sugarloaf?).

How long to properly visit NY or London? Rio is a huge city.

We did not do everything in 3 days, but honestly, it is not high on my list of places to return to in the future. Buenos Aires is, Rio is not.

jc

As Druke I stated, Rio has a VERY high crime rate. Please do not plan on staying in Rio without the benefit of a very good guide/driver.

Two days should be more than sufficient to see everything you want to see. So much of Rio that is interesting is bordered by the favelas (barrios) and it truly isn't safe to go there, even with a guide.

You can do the statue and Sugarloaf in one day. The cathedral and sambadrome are on every tour and usually take 1/2 day. Greyline (office in the Sheraton) does a pretty good tour.

The beaches are FILTHY. Trash and needles are found all over the beaches.

I go to South America four times per year on business and my associates have decided that we will have no more meetings in Rio. Just too dangerous and they are all from South America. Please be careful.

We spent five days in Rio in January 2005 and enjoyed every bit of it. We had a private guide for three of those days including a day trip to Petropolis which was extremely enjoyable.

The other two days we explored Rio's shopping areas on our own and every night taxied to various restaurants. During all of this we never had a hint of trouble. Our hotel was in the Leblon area. We dressed "down" and stayed out of remote areas and stayed in heavily trafficked areas. While Rio may be crime ridden, we didn't experience it and had a wonderful time.

Jim

How long to properly visit NY or London? Rio is a huge city.

We did not do everything in 3 days, but honestly, it is not high on my list of places to return to in the future. Buenos Aires is, Rio is not.

jc

I agree. I don't like Rio. Was there 15 years ago and only returned last year because our ship disembarked there.

A private tour to Sugarloaf, the Christ statue and the hippie market for souveniers and you're done. The guide will drive you along the beach road and you can buy a coconut drink and take a photo if someone stands guard so your camera isn't ripped out of your hands.

That's my $.02

Personally, I'd head back to Buenos Aires for a few days post cruise. Now THAT'S a terrific place!

i love rio, to watch the sun set up on pao de sucar( sugar loaf ) mt. was one of the most beautful thing i have ever seen . Yes there is crime, but there is crime every were. Rio's beaches arn't the best in Brasil - go to Natal , or port segruo, but it is still great for people watching, and the atmosphere. I would say 2- 3 days would be good enough for rio.

try to get to the football staduim, its the biggest in the world . and the tour there is amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

It is abolutely not true that trash and needles are found all over the beaches. Rio is very big and has a lot of clean beaches not really explored by tourists like "Recreio dos Bandeirantes" and "Barra da Tijuca".

I must agree that parts of Copacabana and Ipanema are dirty.

As Druke I stated, Rio has a VERY high crime rate. Please do not plan on staying in Rio without the benefit of a very good guide/driver.

Two days should be more than sufficient to see everything you want to see. So much of Rio that is interesting is bordered by the favelas (barrios) and it truly isn't safe to go there, even with a guide.

You can do the statue and Sugarloaf in one day. The cathedral and sambadrome are on every tour and usually take 1/2 day. Greyline (office in the Sheraton) does a pretty good tour.

The beaches are FILTHY. Trash and needles are found all over the beaches.

I go to South America four times per year on business and my associates have decided that we will have no more meetings in Rio. Just too dangerous and they are all from South America. Please be careful.

Archived