Vancouver taxis - accept U.S. dollars?

I'll be spending two days in Vancouver with my 12-year-old daughter, after a three-day coastal cruise on 4/18. We're staying on Robson Street and planning on doing the aquarium and Science Center over the two days.

I know I will need a taxi from the pier to the hotel (and from the hotel to the airport). Do the taxis readily accept U.S. dollars or should I exchange for Canadian for the cab fares? I don't mind if the exchange rate is not so hot if it saves me from having to get Canadian currency.

Also, I'm hoping there is easy public transportation to get to Stanley Park and to the Science Center...again, is this something I can use U.S. dollars for?

Thanks for any help! This board has been a great resource as I plan our little post-cruise stay in Vancouver. :)

I wouldn't dream of landing in LA and hoping the the Cabs take Canadian Dollars! You might luck out and find someone that will, but they're going to have to pay to change it to Canadian. Either get some before you leave California or stop at an ATM before you leave the airport.

The buses or skytrain that you'll need for Stanley Park or Science World do not take US.

Virtually all businesses in Canada that cater to the tourist trade will readily accept US currency, but as you seem to already know, they won't give you bank rates on the exchange.

Along Robson street there are bound to be currency exchanges, which will give you a better rate, and will charge a commission of about 1%. When I go to the US (which I do frequently), I always take US cash with me. Makes it a lot easier, and you don't look like an easy mark.

Thanks to both of you. I will definitely get Canadian currency here then, even though the tourist areas accept U.S. dollars. I do know Americans who used U.S. dollars in Vancouver over the course of a couple of days with no problem, but your advice makes sense and I will do the exchange in advance.

Appreciate the input. :)

You might want to use the http://www.tourismvancouver.com web site to search for currency exchange info. They also have a "Kid's Guide" which you can get at their offices at both cruise ship piers, or downtown. Of course, you could also use an ATM card--check with your bank about fees--to get cash.

BTW, a taxi is not the only way to get to your hotel or to the airport--check the shuttle services, too.

You can get a small amount of Canadian currency (no coins, usually), at Travelex or American Express here in SoCal before you go. Your DD might enjoy seeing the bills and you will be ready for whatever you do on debarkation. The rate isn't very good, but changing $50 or so won't matter much. There is information on public transportation--just do a Google search and you can get a map and ticket info.

Have a great time.

Thanks, gratefulguy, that's one of the main Vancouver sites I had bookmarked to help decide what we wanted to do for the two days. :) I know there are ATMs all over the place where I can get Canadian funds when I'm there...I think I'll just get enough before I go to cover transportation from the pier to our hotel, and figure it out from there.

My business partner is Canadian (from Ontario) so my daughter has seen quite a few "loonies" and "toonies" but I don't think she's seen any paper Canadian currency. ;)

Thanks again for all the info. :)

• 2 months later...
Guest cvbart
I wouldn't dream of landing in LA and hoping the the Cabs take Canadian Dollars! You might luck out and find someone that will, but they're going to have to pay to change it to Canadian. Either get some before you leave California or stop at an ATM before you leave the airport.

The buses or skytrain that you'll need for Stanley Park or Science World do not take US.

Wow, I never knew it was such a big deal.

I was in Vancouver last month and had no problem using US or Canadian money.

Here in San Diego just about everyone takes Mexican money with no problem.

I'll be back in Canada next year and I will exchange more money then what I did this year.

With the CDN dollar being so good-the rate is not that high anyway.

Take a few dollars with you-there are tons of ATM's and money exchanges around.

There is also a Limo service at the airport which will cost a few dollars more than a taxi and much more comfortable. Try and catch a Black Top/Checker cab if you can.

Archived