Help a canadian pick an American Airline!!!

muffin

On our flights both to and from two different ports we have many choices in airlines. We have travelled with only AA, and Delta . Can you let me know which of these airlines we may prefer, or ones we DON"T want to consider? Delta, AA,Alaska, Continental, United US airways. If possible can you say why you like the one you do? thx for the insider info.

They're all awful. If you have Air Canada Aeropoints or whatever their Frequent Flyer plan is, go on US Air or United because those are Star Alliance and will get you points for Air Canada.

Alaska Airlines used to have a great reputation, but then American Airlines bought them a few years ago so I don't know if they're still the same.

Oddly enough, I like Continental. The least surly flight attendants I've experienced in some time.

I usually fly United, though, because I live in a city that hubs international flights for United.

Continental seems to be the best to me, however we're stuck in a USAir rut usually due to our USAir visa card. They all seem pretty much the same to me these days. Delta however, last time we flew, gave us the worst in flight "meal", I've ever seen. To fly to California, we received 4 cracker sandwichs with what I think was artificial chive cream cheese in them. I believe it was called a uni-meal. I do not know if they still do this, but it really turned me off. I don't expect gourmet food by any means, but to say it is a meal flight, and give me crackers, that's not right in my book. That is really the only major difference in airlines I've noticed.

I would stay away from southwest however. They do not assign you seats, and it is on a first come- first serve basis. I've heard horror stories about this (esp about the people getting on later not having any room to check their luggage, and families with young kids being forced to separate). Hope it all works out for you :)

We usually fly Delta, but as teedee stated they're threatening to go on strike so I would avoid them right now. We've had great service on Delta in the past.

My aunt has flown Northwestern and she says they are very good.

Have you checked out Westjet? They are flying to some U.S. ports of call. We flew with them in February to Ft. Lauderdale. They were very good; although you have to either bring your food with you or buy it onboard ($5.00 for a sandwich).

We live in Tallahassee, Florida and Delta is really the only "game in town". We fly frequently and have Gold Medallion status with their frequent fliers program. Over the past few years their in-flight service has declined significantly. It really is no different than flying a no frills airline, domestically anyway. (even in first class). We used frequent flier points to fly first class from Tallahassee to Vail, Colorado in December. We had no food service the entire way. (with the exception of being offered a snack from their "enhanced" snack basket that contained vending machine type goodies).The flight from Atlanta to Vail was 3 and 1/2 hours during lunch time with no food service. On the way back, we purchased sandwiches at the airport to eat onboard. It seemed ridiculous to be boarding in the first class section bringing our own boxed lunches.

Anyway, I have a friend who flies very often and has access to a wider selection of airlines due to where she lives. She prefers Continental. They apparently still offer some meals in coach on domestic flights and the first class product is suppose to be very nice. (real china ...."old school" first class).

Best of Luck.

Nancy

My advice is to just pick an airline and go. They are all equally bad. International is a different story, but between Canada and the US they are not really international flights.

Do not expect great service or food and you will not be disappointed. I fly Delta a lot because of their schedules, and for the most part they are OK. I've had good and bad flights on just about every airline.

I'll fly pretty much any airline but I do stay away from Southwest. The whole cattle call approach to seating is just not for me.

enjoy,

Duane

i personally think Alaska Airlines is a cut above most US airlines. Following Alaska, American is pretty good - I don't care for the rest.

Southwest has some great prices, but they don't have interline baggage transfer agreements, and you have to schlep your own bags - which for me is too much hassle.

I agree they're all pretty much the same. Like another poster said, I've had good and bad on all the airlines.

I for one, happen to like the cattle call of Southwest. As long as you get there early or check in the night before online and stand in line at least 1/2 an hour before the flight, you won't have a problem finding the seat you want. I understand not everyone likes having to do this, but if you don't mind, they really are a good airline.

Delta is okay, but the problems they're having financially are a little too risky to be booking with them right now.

American is good. United okay. Continental would probably be my favorite out of all of these, but their schedules are severely lacking in my neck of the woods the past few years.

CONTINENTAL If you can get a direct flight to Newark NJ they have direct flights to most of the major cities in Europe. I would check out the cities you are heading to. A direct flight with no change in Europe is worth a lot to me.

That being said, you still have to change planes in Newark and I've never done that since I live here. Make sure you leave enough time because I believe you have to go through customs and security when you change planes in the U.S.

According to our limo driver in Rome, Continental is never late. Our daughters friend is an international flight attendant and she says they rarely delay international filights. When we took Continental last year they were early.

The planes have monitors in the back of the seats so you can choose from different movies, video games and music. They served dinner and breakfast along with the usual drink service.

I'm a fellow Canadian and have flown on both Continental and Delta. On my last Delta flight I was told by the attendant that if I didn't sit down and if I happened to fall on her then she would sue me. The weather was a little choppy at the time, but I had to use the washroom badly. I think she was embarrassed because later on she tried being extra nice, but I never forgot her first comment. On the other hand the various crew at Continental have always been very nice and we've used them several times going to our time-share in Mexico. We're flying Continental when we take our Galapagos cruise in June.

Archived