Questions on Legend 8 day out of NY.

Jacquelyn11

We are thinking of booking this cruise for May/June 2007. DH and I in our mid 40's, 2 DS 13 & 14. We are going to try to book cabin 7301, a 9A quad. Going to add a land trip to see the sights in NYC. (could use help with this too!)

Has anyone who has been in this cabin know where the upper bed pulls down from? Is it over the sofa bed?

Does the balcony really have full size lounge chairs?

Anyone know about the teen club capers activities? Do they have the "all nighter party"?

What about the at sea activities? Triva/game shows, comedy shows, variety shows?

Best excursions at ports? I normally book "off ship" but still want to find the best ones!

Finally, THE FOOD! Buffets good? Nights not to miss at Truffels? Is the private restaurant worth the price?

What is FLEET WEEK? I understand it's near Memorial Day, the weekend we are thinking of leaving. Should I postpone by a week? Also, are there a lot of kids on the Memorial Day week cruise? I know most of the northern schools are not out yet, and the GA schools are already out.

Any info will be appreciated!

Happy Cruzin' All!

Jacquelyn :D

We hit clientel like that out of NY on the Miracle. I figured it was the reduced pricing when they were trying to fill up the ship, as the ports were pretty lame as well (Port Canaveral, Freeport, and Nassau).

Luckily, when we went on the legend last May, it wasn't like that at all.

We hit clientel like that out of NY on the Miracle. I figured it was the reduced pricing when they were trying to fill up the ship, as the ports were pretty lame as well (Port Canaveral, Freeport, and Nassau).

Thanks Pete, This was a 4th of July cruise, it departed on the 30th of June and was listed at 1640.00 pp for the 4A inside :confused:

Sorry for your bad experience!!!!

I am fron NJ, and do not behave the way some of the people on the ship did. Please do not let this discourage you from crusing out of NY again there are plenty of jerks here but many more good people. Most of the NY/NJ croud will also cruise out of FL also (see Snowbirds). I think you may have just had a bad group. We are not like the Sopranos nor do we all cary knives (as someone fron IL asked me when I lived there for 2 yrs lol) Show the love for NJ!!!!!!

Hi Jacquelyn - You're right, most of the Northern schools will still be in session past Memorial Day; New York generally goes to around June 24, New Jersey is generally a week earlier. We're booked on Legend this summer; in St. Thomas we've booked a tour with Godfrey for 2 hours shopping/walking around (sons aren't going to be interested in much shopping), 2 hours touring the island, and 2 hours beach time. There's lots of information on the St. Thomas board under Ports of Call. In Tortola, we booked the ship's Virgin Island Sailaway excursion - couldn't find a comparable private excursion. No plans in San Juan as of yet; we may walk around a bit, have dinner, and go back to the ship.

Here's a link to the Navy's site re Fleet Week: http://www.fleetweek.navy.mil/ Yes, it is over Memorial Day weekend.

As for passengers - I don't recall any obnoxious passengers when we sailed Victory out of NYC two years ago - but for that matter, I don't recall any when we sailed Conquest out of New Orleans. I know there are individual obnoxious folks out there, but I like to think they're the exception and not the rule. (Except the tour group we ran into in a restaurant in Montreal - they were so obnoxious the wait staff refused to speak to them in English!)

What are you interested in seeing in New York, and how long would you like to stay pre/post-cruise?

MrPete, I was hoping I could benefit from yours and other experince on the Legend! Wonderful Pic of you and your DD!

Being a GRITS (Girl Raised In The South!) I sometimes have a time of it trying to blend in with you Yanks from the North! I also have a "Never again" cruise time. We went on the NCL Majesty the end of July to Bermuda out of Boston. There were several unruly teens on board, but it was the outdoor cafe that got me. There were 5 of us trying to set our trays at a table for lunch. There were couples at a tablet for 6 just sitting there. If we asked if they were finished and leaving soon we either got a NO or were ignored. We had to crowd around a table for 2 one day!

I know all Northerners are not this way, and I've know a few Southern Rednecks that needed to be thrown overboard!! I'm sure I'll have a great cruise anyway!

Kathy, we will most likely plan a post cruise visit. Since the cruise is Sun-Mon we will most likely stay till the following Sat/Sun. I had been reading about a City Pass that had several attractions on it for 1 price. Want to do SOL, ESB, a double decker bus. Also want to get tickets for GMA and tour the ABC or NBC studios. Take in a broadway show. Since We have 2 teen boys, we will want to do a Coney Island day, see the Intrepid, other museums. OH, we have Hilton Honor points and we hope to stay somewhere near Times Square in one of their hotel brands, unless you have a better suggestion!

Any help is greatly appreciated! (I just LOVE cruise planning! Only one thing better, GOING!)

Just noticed from your signature ... you're "jumping ship" to RCI this summer? Glad you were able to book something!

:) :) :)

Yup! I was gonna tell you, and retire the Legend Roll call, but I see you started another one.

It was either RCL, or the Victory, and the Victory lost only because I wanted to try something different.

I was actually getting depressed as 6/29 was getting closer. SO, I just put my deposit down today!

And of course, I'll be in Greenville the end of August!

MrPete, I was hoping I could benefit from yours and other experince on the Legend! Wonderful Pic of you and your DD!

Why thank you!

I was gonna jump at a response, when I saw you were in 7301, as I had been in 7302 on a sister ship, but I see they are no where near each other!

You enjoy the ship, and don't miss out on the supper club. It's well worth it to try at least once!

:) :) :)

Yup! I was gonna tell you, and retire the Legend Roll call, but I see you started another one.

It was either RCL, or the Victory, and the Victory lost only because I wanted to try something different.

I was actually getting depressed as 6/29 was getting closer. SO, I just put my deposit down today!

And of course, I'll be in Greenville the end of August!

The original roll call died a lonely death. We've picked up a few along the way, but I'm still sorry you won't be along for the ride.

We actually booked another cruise on Victory for Labor Day weekend. "Long weekend - I liked Halifax - Why not?" It's all five of us in a balcony cabin this time, but it's a good price.

Jacquelyn, one suggestion I have for a NYC "orientation" is Big Apple Greeters, which is a group of volunteers that will take you around for 2-4 hours if you have a specific neighborhood or area that interests you; no charge. Their website is http://travelwithkids.about.com/cs/newyork/a/bigapplegreeter.htm

You can get a pass for the double decker bus that will let you hop on, hop off at various sites; Times Square is a big stop for the tours. You might also enjoy one of the Circle Line cruises - there's a 3-hour cruise around Manhattan, as well as some shorter cruises.

For Broadway shows - If you're interested in a specific show and it's one that's somewhat difficult to get tickets for (e.g., Spamalot right now), I'd but tickets ahead of time. If you don't have a specific show in mind, you might want to but tickets at the TKTS booth in Times Square; they sell reduced-rate tickets for same-day showings.

Hope this helps!

Jacquelyn I would skip the coney island day, unless your only going for a little while its a waste... I live 5 minutes from coney island in bensonhurst.. its not what it used to be at all. Not the most friendly neighborhood either. The beach is dirty and the residents of coney island are mostly "slummers" Nathans is about the only good thing. The rides arent much better then what you would find at any carnival except the bigwheel which has a nice view.. Stay in manhatten experience broadway and enjoy yourself I promise you wont be dissapointed. Im living here for 20 years now and I goto a private beach club to avoid coney island

I have the "Titanic" movie pic in my mind's eye. I do remember reading it had gone downhill.

Are there any other "amusement park" type places near by? Anything in Central Park? I just want to avoid the chorus of "I'm Bored to my Gourd!" from 2 teen boys!

Thanks again!

PS. See you are on the Legend in July! Looking forward to your trip report!

I had read about the "Greeters" from another site. I thought we might try one! The subway at Grand Central Station is another "ride" we wanted to try! I think it was in one of the X-men movies!

Also read about the discount tickets and the pre-dinner specials at the local restaurants. They do something similar to that in Las Vegas (DH and I are headed there next weekend!) I'll have to scan the shows available a few months before we go. If "CATS" were still running I'd catch that, even though I've seen it 4 times in Atlanta. If you have any good restaurant suggestions I'll take those too!

Thanks again for all the great advice!

Jacquelyn I would skip the coney island day, unless your only going for a little while its a waste... I live 5 minutes from coney island in bensonhurst.. its not what it used to be at all. Not the most friendly neighborhood either. The beach is dirty and the residents of coney island are mostly "slummers" Nathans is about the only good thing. The rides arent much better then what you would find at any carnival except the bigwheel which has a nice view.. Stay in manhatten experience broadway and enjoy yourself I promise you wont be dissapointed. Im living here for 20 years now and I goto a private beach club to avoid coney island

BigGreg, many years back there was an Awesome show in the middle of Manhattan called The New York Experience, it showed how N.Y.C became to be from the begining of time. Not sure if that show is still on but it was a good show to see. Another favorite is taking a ride to the Statue of Liberty.

Hey Big Greg Im in Bensonhurst too! Coney Island is not so great..Nathans, the Wonder Wheel and the Cyclone are the best things. Brooklyn Cyclones baseball is good too!! Thats about it. I try to get over to Belle Harbor to swim.

I was on the Legend 2004 & 2005..in July. All I can say is Awesome! I loved the Legend. Ill be sailing out of Miami this July on the Valor. All the people were great. No A**holes, lol. I guess its the luck of the draw who you get sailing with you. My table mates were from the midewest somewhere, I cant remember, but I do remember the 2nd formal night when the lady dediced to wear farmer grey coveralls :eek: and her husband jeans & t shirt while their 13 yr old daughter wore a lovely skirt & blouse with dress shoes. She left midway throught the dinner after looking around and seeing everyone all dressed up except for her parents. She was upset. awwww.

There is so much to do in the city. The museums are awesome & the shows are the best. You can pick up a bus tour right on 42 st..the men are out there with the red jackets on selling the tickets for the double decker.

timesquare is a definite must to check out.. As for restaurants it depends where youll be staying.. anywhere in manhatten a meal for 2 can go from 20$ upwards of a few hundred.. in the city almost anywhere you are you can find a good selection of food within a few blocks distance. Chelsea peirs is the only other place I could think of that would be good for the teens, check hours and rates to see what they have going on while your in. Most of the shows that have been broadway for a while are Great shows.. new ones could always bomb read some reviews before you select what youd like to see. And you should definitly see if you could get discounts wether you purchase them at the box office or online..Dont pay full price it can get expensive. There are a million museums to visit none that fantastic. I would suggest the Museum of Natural History always has something new going on.. And the show in the solarium of the galaxy or milkyway I forget was pretty cool. You may also want to experience the imax theater depending whats playing its cool to feel as though your actually moving with the picture definitly a good idea not too expensive to kill an hour or 2. As I think of more i'll definitly add, but for the moment gotta go pick up the girlfriend at work in a few minutes.. Stupid rain outside =/

Oh and the trip to the statue of liberty is cool too. Since 9/11 they dont allow anyone on the island anymore though.. When I was a kid we even went into the steps of the statue. And Circle Line gives a good tour of the city's waterside. The empire state building observation deck is another awesome experience. Damn.. lol im sure ill have another 20-30 things to do by tomorrow lol Manhatten has so much to do.

And Ofcourse I forgot to have a great cruise, dont let the teens wreck the boat were leaving on the 7th and would like to enjoy it! im just playing Have an awesome time!

If you have any good restaurant suggestions I'll take those too!

Oh, Lordy, restaurants! If you go over to the United States board under Ports of Call, Jane110 (she's right in the city) has a number of very good recommendations of places that aren't necessarily on the beaten path. For Midtown, I loved The Sea Grill, which is at Rockefeller Center; it's not doable with younger kids, but teenagers (as long as they're open to things other than hamburgers and pizza) should do fine. (I have a soon-to-be 15 YO son who would be fine there.) The Marriott Marquis in Times Square has a revolving restaurant on the 46th floor, if you're into views. The food's good - nothing special (hey, it's a Marriott) but the view is great!

Downtown, 14 Wall Street is a neat place. In its former life, it was JP Morgan's private residence. http://www.lowermanhattan.info/history/didyouknow/did_you_know_86264.asp

As for the Legend itself - I'll let you know more in about 90 days!:D

I've been reading old Capers this evening! I'm hoping the 12-14yo group will be more appropriate for my boys! They will love the PS2 time, but the teen dances will be a bust! Do they do science/educational type activities? Bridge Tours? About 4 years ago they did an "all nighter party" on the Carnival Pride and my younger son loved it!

You son will be in the O2 club they have now! Let me know how he likes it!

On my house front we got some good news today! My DH and I bought 2 lots about 3 1/2 yrs ago. One was 2.22 acres and the easement is 3 acres. We decided to sell the 2 acre lot. We put signs around the neighborhood at noon friday....Someone called 2 hrs later! We have reached a negociated price and now will work the contract details out! We can then break ground on our house on the 3 acre lot. Hopefully sometime early June!

Since the move will put our DS's in a different school district, this cruise/NY trip is a "reward" for putting up with that. If our marriage survives the house building process, it will be a 15th anniversary trip for my DH and I! :o

I hope to finalize our cabin with the TA tomorrow! Wish me luck!

The Marriott Marquis in Times Square has a revolving restaurant on the 46th floor, if you're into views. The food's good - nothing special (hey, it's a Marriott) but the view is great!

Are you kiddin me, The place is gorgeous I had my highschool prom there it was nuts in Times square and the view is unbeleivable, the elevators inside the building alone are amazing.. It would definitly be a place to stay at and never be forgotton definitly thinking about spending a night or 2 there with my girlfriend this summer

i was on the same cruise on the miracle 7/10/04 and couldn't agree more.(were doing the legend in Sept)The worst out of Ny i ever saw was a group of russians on Labadee(rccl island)fighting over a noodle float to the pointwhere i thought they were going to draw pistols and have a duel.The kids were better behaved than most of the adults.

Archived