who is just off the Sun?

I know it is too early to expect a report from those who were on the Sun this past week, but you did the same itinerary we will do on the 15th. I am sure I am not the only one waiting for a review especially what you thought of Samana and if you did a tour, which one? I just read on the porta a call thread NCL may be in the process of not going there anymore because of the complaints. Anyone hear anything about this? NMnita

Just off the Sun today and back in Atlanta. In Samana do the Cayo Levantado Beach Escape. The island is terrific, beautiful and a perfect way to spend the day. Do not pay the extra money ($40) for food, floats (they weren't provided anyway) or snorkel gear. We loved the island. Thought it was great. The reports I heard about the Samana island tours or private cab rides weren't so great. No one wanted to do it again.

Just off the Sun today and back in Atlanta. In Samana do the Cayo Levantado Beach Escape. The island is terrific, beautiful and a perfect way to spend the day. Do not pay the extra money ($40) for food, floats (they weren't provided anyway) or snorkel gear. We loved the island. Thought it was great. The reports I heard about the Samana island tours or private cab rides weren't so great. No one wanted to do it again.
Golly lovetocruise, I didn't expect an answer so soon, but welcome back and now we want to hear all about your cruise. You gave me exactly the info I wanted. We booked the beach escape without the lunch; why I didn't book the lunch, I have no idea, but glad I didn't. Thanks again. NMnita

Hi,

We just returned from the Sun today. Had a wonderful time. We did the Cayo Levantado Beach Escape. It was a beautiful beach. We did not pay extra for anything. We talked to people who did the Jeep excursion and some who did the mangrove excursion they both had good things to say about their excursions. It is interesting tho....how people can be on the same cruise, but have totally different opinions.

Hi,

We just returned from the Sun today. Had a wonderful time. We did the Cayo Levantado Beach Escape. It was a beautiful beach. We did not pay extra for anything. We talked to people who did the Jeep excursion and some who did the mangrove excursion they both had good things to say about their excursions. It is interesting tho....how people can be on the same cruise, but have totally different opinions.

isn't that so true. it has to do with 1/2 full or 1/2 empty I think among othe things. I guess if the first night you have a bad restaurant experience followed by say, a cabin steward who isn't friendly or luggage that is delivered a little late, or even the booze you tried to bring on board got convescated your cruise would start out less then great and you may look for the worst not the best. I think about our cruise on the Jewel last Sept. 99% were totally in awe of everything but these were the complaints I heard: the food is way to spicey, I can't wait to go back to HAL: the food is so bland, why don't they learn how to cook with spices: we missed a port due to 60 mile an hour winds and fog, we were given extra ship activities, a one hour open bar and our port charges back, but there were some who claimed other lines do more when you miss ports and for those who don't drink what good is a one hour open bar? Everyone sees things differently, now let's have a review from you. NMNita

Hi

I just posted my photos from the Cayo Levantado Beach Escape at

http://www.familytravelfun.com/cayo-levantado-photos.html. (http://www.familytravelfun.com/cayo-levantado-photos.html).

Sorry, I don't know how to make a direct link here. I think you can copy and paste.

Great pics, thanks. I especially love the shopping area; can't wait, of course I am be a smart A##. Actually it is probably much like Roatan and the back streets of Belize, fun to wander around and pick up handcrafted (often by machines) LOL stuff.

Hi.

We leave on the same cruise as MNita and we are booked for the beach escape as well including the food. What is wrong with the food should we cancel the lunch? Thanks!

Yes it says 4 hours which isn't that long and I believe the $40.00 is for lunch, snorkel gear and floats. We have our own snorkel gear so not sure lunch and floats are worth it if we will be returning to the ship by 1:00 where we could eat lunch. There are 4 of us so that is an additional $160.00 we have added on maybe unnecessarily. Just wondering do they sell food on the island if you haven't purchased the lunch package? Would love to know for our teens. Thanks.

My DH said that he saw some food being sold. He was getting hungry and said it looked pretty good. I have seen someone post that they have had room service deliver some sandwiches to their room the night before. Not sure how they kept them cold unless they brought a cooler. We had brought some of the nabisco 100 calorie snacks with us on the trip just in case.

Not sure if anyone will have time to do multiple things but the market , the waterfall and the beach was nice. Sorry that I can't remember the name of it but the waterfall was a bit of a walk but was worth it. Bring water. We took a cab to it all as a $50 cab ride for all (myself/wife/2 kids). It appears to be the only waterfall worth mentioning in the area. Maybe 100+ feet straight up and you're able to touch the bottom as it splashes on the rocks. The market was nice, busy, kinda like a more disorganized Cozumel market of years back. Cuban cigars at great prices. More info if needed. The beach we went to was nice with a nice view of the Sun in the distance. Brush up on any Dominicana words / phrases as English is a tough one and Spanglish didn't cut it too well. Nice folks for sure. Take note of Samana now and I'd bet you won't recognize it in a few years. They are doing ok for just opening up in January '06.

I heard some people complaining that there were not any floats on Cayo Levantado even though it plainly states that floats are included in the Beach Party package. The extra $40 is not worth lunch and free snorkel gear since there isn't any coral so I don't think you will see any fish anyway. We weren't there very long...maybe three hours. Grab a few muffins from the breakfast buffet and stick them in a snack bag along with some water bottles. Save the money and eat lunch at the outdoor grill when you return to the ship.

Archived