feedback needed re: Galaxy Kusadasi/Ephesus excursion

Wide Open Sea

Greetings.

Does anyone have any feedback on the Celebrity Kusadasi (Ephesus) excursions? I'll be sailing E Med Galaxy departing 5/22.

Am particularly interested in feedback re: History and Religion of Roman Ephesus excursion.

Thanks!:)

WOS-

We did the Ephesus and the House of the Virgin Mary tour with Celebrity during the 8/15/05 sailing. It was very good, but hot. My kids and I learned a lot from our tour guide. We had enough time at the end of the tour to enjoy the beach north of the cruise ship dock. There is little or no shade in Ephesus, so bring water, hats and sunscreen. Ephesus, Athens and Istanbul were the high points of the cruise. Watch for the camel farm on the left on the way back to Kusasdasi.

'Miner

...but I am sure the experience is the same. It is a long bus ride to both Ephesus and the House of the Virgin Mary so recommend doing it through the cruise line. It was pretty reasonable as I remember. There was fairly large crowds at both places but we were able to move through, see everything, and still hear our guide. Also, as the previous poster mention we got back in time to tour the local marketplace.

Here is a picture to whet your appetite :)

Ephesus.jpg.ad7e4f6e0899346d40b33d3b604a2e8c.jpg

I did the Ephesus / Virgin Mary tour with Princess, and I have to tell you Ephesus is one of the BEST and informative tours I went on. Sure, it was bloody hot, and there were tons of people. HOWEVER, if you want to see an amazing amount of marble and the technology that the people of the time had, you won't be disappointed. This was a place I'd never even heard of until I went on the cruise. To me, it's one of the most under rated places to go. If you've ever been to Pompei, it is similar but different. The magnitude of the city is almost overwhelming for the time.

We went in mid summer, and like a previous post mentioned, there is no shade and it is very hot and full of people. We got there and headed off on our own because our guide didn't speak very good English and was difficult to understand.....We kept walking until we found a guide that we could understand better. The information the guide provided made all the difference in the world. I wouldn't have understood the "bath house" or the "library" or the "Sewage system" etc. without her.

Truly, just make sure you take a wide brimmed hat and lots of water.

This is a place not to miss.

Laurie

We sailed Galaxy 09/05. Read my cc review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=13190

Kusadasi is a very surprising modern city, many shops close to the ship etc. Ride to Ephesus is not that long. It is usually very hot, we hear, but comfortable in October.

There are many tour buses there as well so it is busy. Good walking shoes are a must. Some friends from our ship, took a taxi to Ephesus and booked a guide at the entrance. No problem. The Turkish guides tell you to watch out for these "unofficial guides" No license and no guarantee on the quality of the tour.

There are no washrooms nor water as you walk along the ruins to the bottom, so plan accordingly. ONly at the start and end. You walk downhill. I had to backtrack to locate my wife, only to find out she had walked ahead. It is quite a hike back up. We heard that the X trips from the ship, hit a high-pressure carpet outlet (Generally, the ship trips will always go to these sorts of places, we prefer to avoid these) Ask your tour guide where they will stop along the away or back and can change your stops, to avoid these irritating stops. We really enjoyed our guide and everyone on our private tour did as well. There are a few others that are also good. Our guide, Lale Kasogan, met us in Istanbul, we did lots there, she flew and met us again in Kusadasi. One of our group, told me she was the most informative and interesting guide he had met in his world of travels. Fiercely proud of her country.

In addition, do a search on Kusadasi on the Europe ports board and you will get many additional comments.

The ruins are not to be missed.

We also went Selcuk, saw an interesting museum, a local mosque, shopped some, also saw St. John church ruins. We didn't go the VM House. Others who went to the House of Virgin Mary, were disappointed. It is quite small and a further drive away. Check our the boards for additional comments on the VM house and others.

Have great trips people! We want to go again.

We also booked with Lale Kosagan for Kusadasi and Istanbul although we toured in the opposite order - Kusadasi first, then Istanbul. As it turned out, Lale had a medical emergency and her sister, Hale, was our tour guide. She was marvelous. They will customize your tour to your interests. I highly recommend either of them.

These are fascinating ports. ENJOY!

Archived