Galapagos - books to read before going?

CSloan

• 3 weeks later...

There is a very good natural history book on the Galapagos by a man called (and please believe me!) Michael Jackson.

He is actually a Briton teaching at university in Vancouver BC. He was on our flight from Baltra when we visited the islands, and very kindly signed our copy of his book.

If you want to pursue this, he has a website http://www.islandnet.com/~mjackson/homepage.html (or via Google galapagos michael jackson).

Hope this helps.

by Barry Boyce.

Excellent book by a very kind man. We booked our cruise with his company. He met our group in Quito before the cruise and when I mentioned that I had brought only one VCR battery, he loaned me one of his. What a lifesaver. I just mailed it back to him when we returned. It it always so nice to meet such kind people.

Enjoy your trip. Out of all our over 50 cruises, the Galapagos was my favorite. We were on a 16 passenger boat for two weeks so we saw most of the Islands. I would go back again if I won the Lottery!

Happy sailing,

Joanne, the chocoholic

• 4 weeks later...

We just got the bug to go to the Galapagos Islands and are looking at dates between September and November of 2007. One book I picked up is Moon Handbooks on Ecuador including the Galapagos Islands by Julian Smith. So, if you're planning and pre/post tours this book is an excellent resource as well as great info on the GI's.

By the way, why did you pick November? We're undecided which time to go and since I've just started my research any help would be appreciated.

Thanks ... Katie

Thanks, Katie. I'll check it out.

We really picked November, because at the time we made the reservation, it was one of the lowest priced dates. I think November is also part of the "dry season," so I'm hoping we don't get a lot of rain. From everything I've read and seen, this looks like a great trip. Lots of good threads on cc, especially:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=158948&page=11

Cathy

We just got the bug to go to the Galapagos Islands and are looking at dates between September and November of 2007. One book I picked up is Moon Handbooks on Ecuador including the Galapagos Islands by Julian Smith. So, if you're planning and pre/post tours this book is an excellent resource as well as great info on the GI's.

By the way, why did you pick November? We're undecided which time to go and since I've just started my research any help would be appreciated.

Thanks ... Katie

Hi Katie,

Thanks for the book suggestion. I'll check out Borders tonight.

We are booked for the Xpedition on an 11 nighter. 12/2 sail date with two days pre and one day post for next year. We leave on Nov.30th and return 12/12. It really filled up fast too, we booked it on the first day it opened and already it's almost sold out. Only insides left.

I am soooooooo excited about this trip I just can't stand it.

BTW: It looks like we have the same tastes in travel. We leave next month for Alaska on the Radiance.

Have fun everyone,

Peggy

Charles Darwin wrote his book "Origin of the Species" after visiting the Galapagos Islands and seeing how natural selection took place.

The Galapagos are amazing and I am so glad that we had the opportunity to visit them. We were so lucky with the weather as we were there in February and it was sunny every day.

Jennie

Charles Darwin wrote his book "Origin of the Species" after visiting the Galapagos Islands and seeing how natural selection took place.

The Galapagos are amazing and I am so glad that we had the opportunity to visit them. We were so lucky with the weather as we were there in February and it was sunny every day.

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

I was just informed that there is a 30lb per person luggage limit. How on Earth does one deal with that? I am an overpacker and this is going to be huge challenge for me. Was it is this limited when you went? If so, how did you manage?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peggy

Peggy,

We flew from Quito to Baltra with TAME Airlines which is Ecuador's National airline. We were stayed one night at the Swissotel before flying out and we repacked just one case between us with our clothes. We left the rest of our bags with the hotel as we were returning there for two nights before commencing our journey home.

You only need bathers, shorts and T.shirts during the day and at night I just changed into a pair of pants and a top. I think I also took one skirt. Beach towels were provided by our ship. Everyone was dressed in this way.

We had been away at that stage for over 5 weeks. We had been to Rio and the Iguazzu Falls, then had done a cruise for 21 days on the Regal Princess which went to Antarctica and finished in Valpariso and then we flew to Cusco and went to Machu Picchu. So you can imagine we had quite a bit of luggage including formal wear etc. to leave behind.

The Galapagos Island cruise is quite hard work. We were up every morning at 6.30am, breakfast at 7am and out into the zodiacs at 8am. We usually didn't return to the ship until around 12 noon. Had lunch and then at 3pm out again on to another island and not back on board until around 6.30pm. A quick shower and change and then we met in the lounge at 7.45pm to hear what was planned for the next day. Dinner was at 8pm and I think we just collapsed into bed after that.

It is not a cruise holiday for relaxing. You are going there to see the wonderful animals and birds which you will not be disappointed as there are thousands.

Remember to take your camera as you cannot stop photographing. It is so remarkable.

Jennie

Archived