Remote Airline Checkin

beachfanatic

Has anyone tried this? I've read that Celebrity is offering it in FLL.

Supposedly you can checkin with the airline right on board and they will ship your luggage to the airport. Sounds too good to be true but a fabulous idea.

The airports are so jammed and I think it is wonderful of the Cruise line

to help alleviate it, if in fact true.

We used it this morning disembarking from Century in Ft Lauderdale. There were four of us with a total of five pieces of luggage. It was the best $40 I ever spent! I was anxious because the luggage tags we received were not the final airline tags (it was a Celebrity tag with my name, initial flight but not the final leg of the flight listed) and a bar code.

We received the tags and boarding passes on the final night. It was the smoothest trip home ever. When we arrived at FLL, there were the usual spring break check in lines, but we were able to go straight through to Security and within minutes we were watching the Masters in the Crown Room. When we arrived home, our bags were even the first ones on the baggage claim belt!

In summary, a definite home-run for Luggage Valet service!

Dan

We used it this morning disembarking from Century in Ft Lauderdale. There were four of us with a total of five pieces of luggage. It was the best $40 I ever spent! I was anxious because the luggage tags we received were not the final airline tags (it was a Celebrity tag with my name, initial flight but not the final leg of the flight listed) and a bar code.

We received the tags and boarding passes on the final night. It was the smoothest trip home ever. When we arrived at FLL, there were the usual spring break check in lines, but we were able to go straight through to Security and within minutes we were watching the Masters in the Crown Room. When we arrived home, our bags were even the first ones on the baggage claim belt!

In summary, a definite home-run for Luggage Valet service!

Dan

Hi Dan

Thanks for your info on this which sounds like a great perk! If you can direct me to where I can get more info -ie. how much does it cost, what is the Crown Room, etc. We will be debarking in FLL in Nov. & flying home at 4:30 in the afternoon. The last time we did this, (last Nov.) we had to wait with our luggage in the airport, until the USAir passenger service opened. So we were there from around 9:00 a.m. til flight time. This plan you had sounds like an enormous improvement! I have not been looking forward to this end of our vacation at all! Til your post!

Thanks for any additional info!

I believe it is only available if you are flying American Airlines, at least on Royal Caribbean last month that was the only airline it was offered through. I may be wrong though.

There were three airlines using the luggage valet system when we disembarked Century in Ft Lauderdale on 9 April: Delta, American and I think the last was United but I'm not sure. As I previously posted, I thought it was excellent for FLL travel. I'm sure its efficacy is at the mercy of the "locals" at other ports.

The Crown Room that I mentioned is the frequent travelers club with Delta and you must be a member or a Platinum AmEx cardholder (not a Delta Skymiles AmEx Platinum). Each airline has their own version. It is not a part of the Luggage Valet Service.

Dan

Used it a month or so ago in FLL:

$10, two bag maximum, Delta, American, US Air

Sat in SD:

$20, two bag max, Delta, American, US Air

Both places also have FEDX shipments available. A 20" X 20" X 12" box up to 30 lbs. Cost me $30 from FLL to Georgia and $45 SD to Georgia.

Archived