Mexican Riviera

carbon

We too have cruised RCCL - and decided to cruise Celebrity because it was always touted as a step above.

Unfortunately, we ended up on the infamous March 17 cruise on the Mercury.

I suggest that you seriously research the cabins on Mercury. They are decidedly smaller than similar cabins on RCCL ships (tho the bathrooms are bigger) and have less storage space.

Additionally, I would NEVER advocate anyone getting on this ship until it has been thru drydock! It looked rather shabby upon boarding and, by the end of the cruise it looked like a warzone! The tattered upholstery now displays bleach stains as well - doorknobs are pitted, the well-worn floors of the elevators are now impossible to walk on because the bleach has eaten thru the finish coats and are hopelessly sticky.

I could go on and on but each person sees what they want to see. I just know that I paid more for my "Celebrity Experience" than for any RCCL cruise and this ship is not worth the price!

Carbon ~ I'm a regular Celebrity and RCI cruiser (sailed both lines equally). We had one of our best cruises ever on Mercury on Feb. 3 (two months ago) to the Mexican Riviera. The service, the food, the ports, the staff.....everything was great.

But as you know, things can and do change from cruise to cruise. And unfortunately for Mercury, she is going through a very trying time fighting a recent outbreak of norovirus. From the stories of those who have disembarked her recently, I, too, would be hesitant to get onboard until this situation is cleared up and they have the ability to replace much of what has been damaged in the bleaching process.

When are you considering taking the cruise? I'd do some research on what Celebrity has in store for getting Mercury back in shape. Good luck.

You're most welcome. We really love Celebrity and before the virus outbreak, Mercury was one of our favorite ships. Keep a watchful eye out to see what happens in the next couple of months. You can count on Cruise Critic members to give you accurate updates of what is happening.

It is an enjoyable itinerary and we did have a great time.

I have been on the Mercury twice (The first 5 years ago and the second last October) and Vision of the Sea, RCC ( 3 years ago, to the Mexican Riviera).

Hands down, the Mercury. My husband and I were extremely disappointed in the overall cleaniness of the ship, the food and entertainment. The only reason why we didn't take the Mercury that time, was that it left a day earlier and we couldn't make the cruise. We love the Mercury, and by the time you take your cruise, the problems on the Mercury will be long gone, and some other line will probably be in the news with the same problem.

We did the Merc two years ago, and granted the carpet and door nobs may have worn since then, but to tell you the truth we couldn't find any thing at all to complain about on this crusie.

We loved the ship, atmosphere, decore, bands, entertainment. We felt every thing was first rate. As far as the room size goes, our Standard Outside cabin was 170 sqare feet. We didn't find it too small at all. ( We did the Infinity this year with the kids, to make 4 of us in the same cabin size. That awas a little tight, but for two, we did not feel like it was a problem)

We liked the Merc Mex Riviera so much we are going again on the same cruise this November.

Recently, there was a Norovirus outbreak and the containment measure greatly affected many passengers enjoyment of the cruise, but like a previous poster said, that is the exception, it is a great ship and a great cruise, and it will probably be some other ship having the problem next time.

Hello Carbon: My wife and I have cruised the west coast of Mex many times and our most recent was the 10 day cruise on Mercury last year. We had a great time to the point that we have just booked the 11 day cruise on Mercury for 8 Jan 07. Incidently we also did the w coast on RCCLs Vision and we were really not all that impressed. Someone wrote a similar remark above and we totally agree.

I really believe the norovirus problem will be history by the times of our cruises. The only concern I have is to agree with another poster who said Mercury is badly in need of some refurbishing. When we last sailed on her a year ago she was getting somewhat ratty and time-worn in spite of a great crew working their butts off to keep the ship clean and the customers happy. I trust she will see a refit before Jan 07. With regard to a comment which stated the cabins are small, all I can say is we were happy with our 172 sq ft and we had plenty of storage space. To each his own I guess. In any case, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 11 day Mex cruise on Mercury next March.

Archived