Lunch taken off the ship

You can take water (in fact, they often sell it at the gangway), but you're not supposed to take food off the ship. I have a tendency to low blood sugar, so I usually carry a sealed package of peanut butter crackers with me. There can be stiff fines for taking unpackaged food (like from a dining room) off the ship. Some people chance it though.

You're not allowed to. There are signs posted at most gangways saying so.

Can you get away with it? Yes, they don't search your bags on the way out.

It isn't allowed and should you be searched (it does happen on occasion) you are at risk of a heavy fine or even worse sanctions. There are good reasons for the restrictions. Please observe them.

You're not allowed to. There are signs posted at most gangways saying so.

Can you get away with it? Yes, they don't search your bags on the way out.

It depends on the ship. When I was on Brilliance last month they were searching bags at a couple of the ports because a lot of people tried to take food off when we were in the Panama Canal.

I can hardly believe what I have just read!!! I hope I am never in the company of someone who would consider doing something as mean and tacky as taking lunch off the ship. Surely part of seeing other countries is experiencing something of their way of life and eating the local food.

This is my first cruise with this line, I wonder if i've made a big mistake .

I've had plenty of surprises on CC but this is the worst so far. Hope we never meet but happy cruising anyway.

I can hardly believe what I have just read!!! I hope I am never in the company of someone who would consider doing something as mean and tacky as taking lunch off the ship. Surely part of seeing other countries is experiencing something of their way of life and eating the local food.

I've had plenty of surprises on CC but this is the worst so far. Hope we never meet but happy cruising anyway.

Daff: :rolleyes: Oh please . . . spare us the dramatics. The OP had a valid question.

OP: I have wondered the same thing. We are doing an excursion with our DD3 from 10:30am - 1:30pm and since they are not offering lunch AND we will be on a boat - not be on dry land . . . it is quite impossible to eat local food at a normal lunch time. We will probably just bring some snacks from home for this "lunch" rather than take food from the ship. I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise and for your sake, I agree with Daff on one point . . . I hope you never meet one another!!!:D

If someone taking food off of the ship makes you that upset then please stay at home.:rolleyes: What drama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To the OP, I think that most have answered your question that it is not a good idea to take food off of the ship. Have a good cruise.

For the individual with the low blood sugar, you most likely won't run afoul of the food police by taking sealed packages of peanut butter crackers or something similar with you on an excursion. I often times will do that.

Here's something you might look into - if you don't have them already. They're called Glucose Tablets, they come in a couple different flavors. I got a couple tubes at a local drug store. They're made specifically to counteract an episode of low blood sugar when you're on the go & don't have access to a candy bar or orange juice.

WOW! Daffodil, who asked for your opinion anyway. Sorry I asked and FYI I was asking for some kind of a snack for small children not a five course meal. If you can't answer questions in a civilized manner then don't answer them at all. Thanks everybody for your support, appreciate it.

Karen,

If you're looking for a snack for small children, may I suggest taking an extra box or two of the individual cereals? My recollection is that they have them on room service breakfast orders, so I imagine they're available in the Windjammer at breakfast, too. I understand that taking that kind of packaged food off the ship is not a problem.

Happy sailing,

Susan

You can bring prepackaged foods off the ship with you, but no fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, cheeses, etc. I always bring granola bars, peanut butter crackers with me whenever I travel (usually by plane). When I go on an excursion, I always throw a couple of those into my bag, just in case. This is almost always allowed. But do not attempt to bring fruit from the Windjammer or a Sandwich as those aren't allowed.

Mean and tacky???? Spare us the drama, please! There was nothing wrong with that question.

To the OP, grab the little boxes of cereal from the Windjammer. We did it for our 3 year old. Not a problem at all.

In regard to eating the local food, that may not be advisable in all cases. On our recent trip to the Panama Canal my Dr relayed to us advise from the CDC in Atlanta not to eat any of the local food. If you choose to do so you may be taking some risks in some areas.

Maybe there is something I'm not getting. If you bring a sandwich off board and eat it - 'all' of it! - on the beach what is the big deal? What is the agricultural reasoning? I'm not bringing a peach, eating it, and planting the seed!!

I haven't done this but was next to a couple on a Cozumel beach a couple of years ago and they had brought one of those soft, collapsable coolers with a couple of sandwiches and drinks. I thought, 'what a good idea!' I fail to see the harm but maybe I'm missing something.

Don't come down to hard on me for this position. I'm getting up there so take that into consideration before 'flaming?' me!!

Maybe there is something I'm not getting. If you bring a sandwich off board and eat it - 'all' of it! - on the beach what is the big deal? What is the agricultural reasoning? I'm not bringing a peach, eating it, and planting the seed!!

I haven't done this but was next to a couple on a Cozumel beach a couple of years ago and they had brought one of those soft, collapsable coolers with a couple of sandwiches and drinks. I thought, 'what a good idea!' I fail to see the harm but maybe I'm missing something.

Don't come down to hard on me for this position. I'm getting up there so take that into consideration before 'flaming?' me!!

Okay say you've made your ham sandwich, for example. You don't see it but it has some kind of fly in it. That fly isn't native to the area. You get to the beach you take out your sandwich, that fly leaves, again you don't see it because it is so tiny. The fly then lands on the native plant really close to you and starts attacking it.

Same thing with fruit. You have that peach but you plan on taking all your trash back to the ship so it's okay, right? Wrong. You don't see it but in the center are little fruit flies that the second you cut into it they fly away. It's not whether you leave anything behind at all, it's what's in it that may fly off and infect the local eco-system.

The point really isn't whether or not there is something you or I are not getting. The point is that the regulations, agricultural, health, or whatever prohibit us from bringing that fruit or that sandwich into their country and they have attached sanctions, financial and otherwise for violating those rules. Most of the people who are failing to follow the rule probably are not doing it intentionally or do not see the harm in the practice. We can debate all day long whether or not the rule is realistic, fair, or whatever, but it is their rule, their country and we have an obligation to observe it.

The point really isn't whether or not there is something you or I are not getting. The point is that the regulations, agricultural, health, or whatever prohibit us from bringing that fruit or that sandwich into their country and they have attached sanctions, financial and otherwise for violating those rules. Most of the people who are failing to follow the rule probably are not doing it intentionally or do not see the harm in the practice. We can debate all day long whether or not the rule is realistic, fair, or whatever, but it is their rule, their country and we have an obligation to observe it.

Very well said. A lot of people either forget or don't realize that the US also have these same laws.

I thought that you used to be able to get boxed lunches to take with you if you wanted. Sometimes on those sailing excursions that last from 10-3 (like we did last year in Grand Cayman) you get hungry! What ever happened to them?

Last year on the Mariner they did search bags, going off and coming back on the ship...at the first port my poor ds had taken 3 bananas to eat as the day went on (teenager). We didn't realize that you couldn't take food off (as I said there used to be boxed lunches) Well, we saw the sign and realized he had to get rid of the bananas. So not wanting to throw them out he stood there and downed 3 bananas in 30 seconds. It was so funny. I don't think he had another banana all cruise.

When boxed lunches are provided at a port stop, they come from the port itself, or are prepackaged kinds of things (like a hermetically sealed sandwich), in my experience.

On my Brilliance cruise, for my all day Panama Canal excursion we were provided a box lunch by the tour company and the tour company was very careful to point out to us that they were providing it because nothing could be brought off the ship.

Very well said. A lot of people either forget or don't realize that the US also have these same laws.

Very true - I cannot take fruit to my sister's house in a different part of WA because of the apple maggot quarantine.

My DH always snags an individual cereal at the buffet and tucks it into his backpack so that he can produce it and earn hubby points when I get blood-sugary and surly :o

Archived