Belly Button Rings - Fashionable?

bjboothman

Okay, so this is a jewelry question, not a clothing question and I'm not sure that piercings fall into the category of items that can be considered in or out of style.

A friend of mine mentioned to me the other day that her 16 y.o. daughter wanted her navel pierced. My first thought, though I kept it to myself, was that I thought that was a trend whose day had passed. Or maybe it's just more popular in some parts of the country/world than others.

If I picked up a fashion magazine would I see models wearing navel jewelry?

What do you think? This is just to satisfy my curiousity - I am certainly not going to stick my nose in that girl's belly button (so to speak!).

It is still very popular. Several models have them in many of the fashion catalogs. I have my navel pierced and as much as I love it I wish that someone had warned me how bad it can scar when you choose to have children... which I hope is a long way off for a 16 year old... Unlike pierced ears the hole never truly goes away... it will close up quite quickly though.. just make sure that she researches it before consenting.

Me personally i would not let my daughter do that. Sexual predators dont need any more excuses. If she was 18 its her body until then its still my responsibility:D and yes i'm pierced and tattooed and her father.

As far as style i dont see it as much as i used to.

Seeeuuu

Jeff

I think we don't see much of it around here anymore because the trend of low cut jeans paired with cropped tops is over. Girls are now wearing tunic length tops, so you don't see many belly buttons anymore. They may still be pierced, just not available for public view.

While I'm not a big fan of piercings, at least you can get rid of them, unlike tatoos. I don't have an attitude about others getting piercings or tatoos, I just wonder how many people will regret them years from now. I know, for myself, I can't think of any marking that I would want on a permanent basis. I might think it's cool for the moment, but I think I would change my mind after a while.

Seadancer, do you really think people invite predators because of their appearance? I've always thought of sexual predators as evil people who prey on the vulnerable, regardless of their clothing, makeup, style or whatever. If it is clothing or style that entices them, why are elderly and children targeted? We need to get past the attitude that sex crime has anything to do with sex and that it is an evil act, the victim has no fault. I put absolutely no blame whatsoever on the victim and I do not excuse the predator as "sick", because that just gives them an excuse for their acts. They are evil criminals who deserve to be locked up forever, period.

Sorry to the OP or anyone else for my getting off topic, I just feel strongly on this issue.

Hi kathy

I feel a little more strongly than you about it. I beleive in the death penalty.

Yes i do believe the victims have to take some responsibility . Especially in the case of girls. They dress to attract attention and sometimes its not what they bargained for.Do think it would stop if they all dressed respectfully(of course not) but lets not tease the wolf or he will get you.

Seeuuu

Jeff

Belly button piercings are still popular it seems. Almost all of my friends have one. I had mine piereced when I was 17 and then had to take it out due to life guard training at the time. I had just got it pierced when they sent me to training so it didnt allow it to heal properly...it was constantly in water. About 3 weeks ago I decided to get it done again for the summer. I love it...even more so now since I've lost 55-60 lbs. Its really encouraging me to tone up and lose the last 15 lbs or so that I want. If anyone is planning on getting it done, make sure you allow enough time for it to heal b/4 heading to the beach or on a cruise. Thats one reason why I got it done when I did...we are cruising to the bahamas in august!

I think it is a very personal thing. Many see it as kind of tacky or trashy, no matter how popular a trend it is. I think she should think about whether or not she wants to be seen that way. And no, this isn't coming from her grandmother, I'm only 19, and pretty liberal, LOL. That being said, if she has one, but doesnt go showing it off all of the time in super tiny/tight clothes, I don't see how anyone would have a problem with it :)

I think piercings or tattoos are a personal decision (yes, even piercings because of health and scar tissue). Personally, I have two tattoos (planning on a third--all with great personal meaning) and have been toying around with the idea of a belly button piercing, but I don't think I'll ever actually get the piercing. I would say if she (or anyone really) is going to get a tattoo or piercing, to make sure to get what you want and for the right reasons, not just because it's popular.

I haven't seen too many belly piercings lately...I've seen more tattoos than piercings on my college campus but that could be because of new trends and where I live.

I got my navel pierced about 1 1/2 years ago when I was 43 & I love it. It can be sexual arousing for both me & DH. I have a cruise ship charm dangling from it. Like manyhave said it's a personal thing.

266594851_3_435_604359051.jpg

Well thanks for indulging my curiousity. I'm not personally a fan of the look, either for me or my very tiny 20 y.o. daughter. She begged for one for quite a while and I did not permit it - it was something I believed could wait till she was older if she still wanted it - and now that she is, she has changed her mind. An older acquaintance of hers showed her the big scar that resulted from a pregnancy and that really changed her mind. Maybe it's because we live in the north -- I don't see a lot of girls in beachwear or swimsuits, and most of the cruises I've been on have been a MUCH older crowd. So I wondered if people were still getting it done or wearing their rings. I'd always be afraid it would snag on clothing and get yanked --- it looks like that would REALLY hurt.

I don't think they are as fashionable as they used to be. The style now is to wear longer tops that don't expose the naval, but the tops tend to be form fitting so a naval ring would show through as a lump. I haven't paid that much attention but I haven't noticed many lumps. Since summer is approaching, I think the exposed navals will come back so I may notice more naval rings.

Okay, so this is a jewelry question, not a clothing question and I'm not sure that piercings fall into the category of items that can be considered in or out of style.

A friend of mine mentioned to me the other day that her 16 y.o. daughter wanted her navel pierced. My first thought, though I kept it to myself, was that I thought that was a trend whose day had passed. Or maybe it's just more popular in some parts of the country/world than others.

If I picked up a fashion magazine would I see models wearing navel jewelry?

What do you think? This is just to satisfy my curiousity - I am certainly not going to stick my nose in that girl's belly button (so to speak!).

In a word "Trashy".

zqvol, That's not very nice. While some people may look trashy to you, others may think they look cute.

While I'm not a big fan of them, I have seen some on real skinny girls with very flat tummies that look real cute.

I've also met some real trashy people with no tatoos or piercings. Don't always judge by appearance.

I think more have them then don't! I had mine done for my 40th and LOVE IT!!! Makes me feel "sexy" . Most people who have them (at least after the newness wears off) don't feel the need to dress to show them. Mine peeks out at times and when I wear a bathing suit it is there.

There is a model in the current Victoria's Secret Catalog that has a navel piercing and it is saggy looking. It looks like she put in something top heavy and the upper hole has stretched, like when an earlobe stretches. It is pretty gross.

Archived