Info on Halifax, Nova Scotia

My DH and I are taking a trip on the CAT ferry from Portland, ME to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia in July. Can anyone tell us how far away Halifax is? Read so many great reviews here and would love to spend a few days in Halifax. We are planning to rent a car and drive. Any suggestions on hotels would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

We went a few summers ago, on the late, lamented Scotia Prince, which also landed at Yarmouth. We started out for Halifax and got on the entrance ramp to the Trans-Canada highway. After a few miles, I realized this wasn't the entrance ramp...it was the highway. In other words, it takes maybe three or so hours as I recall, but it is mostly a two lane highway and goes to three or four lanes on some hills. 100 kph isen't as fast as it sounds and you could get behind some other traffic. Then again, in this part of Canada you could also drive for miles without seeing another vehicle. My point is, it's a few hours on a two lane "expressway" where the time you make could depend on traffic. Watch for mounties doing radar checks and don't rush. We always feel laid back in the Maritimes. :cool:

Hi East Coaster,

I have been living in Halifax for the last 8 years and must say you are making a wonderful choice in visiting the area. It's a small city with lots to do, great restaurants and great hospitatiliy.

As hvsteve1 said, the trip to Halifax does take about 3 hours on the 103 highway. And he is correct that it can be a relatively slow and often monotonous drive. Alternatively, you could start on the 103 and then take the #3 highway at Bridgewater. This highway runs somewhat parallel to the 103, but is the scenic route hugging the shore line mostly and passing through many towns and villages including Lunenburg - a UNESCO world heritage site. You can get a map sent to you from the Nova Scotia tourism site http://www.destination-ns.com/forms/guide.asp.

As for hotels in Halifax, that depends on whether or not you want to stay downtown in the city. There are several chain hotels (Marriott, Sheraton Four Points, Radisson, Delta) in the downtown core. Most are full service hotels. The Prince George hotel is also lovely. All are within walking distance of many restaurants, the waterfront - a walk on the boardwalk is a must, and so on. Alternatively, there is a new Choice hotel on the outskirts of town - about a 10 minute drive to downtown, Quality Inn & Suites. Prices are much more economical, service is good and the rooms are very nice.

If you need any more info, please ask away.:)

Thank you hvsteve1 and Scotia Cruiser. We will probably start on #103 highway and then take #3 highway just to see the scenery.

We have tickets to do the Antique London Bus Tour of Halifax which was included with our package but we also want to wander and see Halifax for ourselves. I don't know much about Halifax so would it be wise to stay downtown and tour by walking? Or stay on the outskirts and tour by driving? We are past cruisers (mostly Caribbean) so when I booked this tour I thought of Cruise Critic to get information.

Also, can you recommend any seafood restaurants? I know from living in Gloucester, MA which is a small fishing town on the coast, that when tourists arrive in the summer they usually go to the high priced restaurants on the water where us locals do not go. Meals are much too overpriced and not as good especially for seafood as ones not far from shore. I read about Beavertails and am anxious to try them!

Thank you for your help!

If you haven't done so, log on to http://novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx to get a lot of info and order some tour guides. Canada designs driving routes through areas that are self-guided tours. When in July are you going? The first week of July is the International Military Tattoo http://www.nstattoo.ca while the next week or so usually has the Highland Games. There is always somthing going on in season. We drove there and left the car parked for three or four days. Halifax is quite compact and walkable (but hilly) and there is also plenty of public transit.

hvsteve1 is correct. The downtown core of Halifax is easily walkable. There is even a free hop-on/hop-off bus called "Fred" that moves about the downtown core if you've had enough walking for the day or the weather is not cooperating ;). My preference would be to stay downtown and walk anywhere you want to visit. It is hilly, but unless you have mobility problems, quite accessible.

The International Tattoo is quite a site to behold. If you are here during that time and plan on seeing it, you will want to get tickets soon as they sell out rather quickly. The website hvsteve1 provided can help you with this.

As for seafood restaurants, there is a long list of great places to eat. You could try a great place on the waterfront called Harbourside Market. It is located on the boardwalk in Historic Properties and is popular with both locals and visitors. The food court (no chain restaurants) has many choices including Captain John's Fish Company which has great, reasonably priced seafood. Salty's is also nearby, but the food is a little overpriced IMHO. Further "up the hill" is a more upscale restaurant, The Five Fishermen. The seafood (including an all you can eat mussel bar) and service here are awesome, although you will pay more. McKelvie's restaurant is about a block back from the waterfront and also serves wonderful seafood in the moderate price range. For the best "Fish & chips" in the area, you will need to drive to Fisherman's Cove in Eastern Passage (about 20 mins. drive from downtown) and visit Wharfs & Wraps. They serve large portions, enough to share ;). On the Dartmouth side of the waterfront (with great views of the Halifax waterfront), Mcaskill's is a great choice as well. Once again, a little more upscale, but the food is quite good and the view is awesome! It can be reached by taking the ferry service from the Halifax waterfront - about a 10 minute ride across the harbour and about $2 per person.

Finally, you are right about the beavertails. They are good! The kiosk is located right on the waterfront boardwalk, but be prepared to wait your turn as it is quite popular especially in the height of the tourist season.

Have a great trip!!

We just got the map and guide of Nova Scotia. Wow, that was so fast. I have a lot of reading to do before our trip. We are going to come the second week of July so we miss the International Tattoo. If only I knew before we made plans.

Thank you once again for your great suggestions. I'm sure we are going to love Nova Scotia. We visited St. John's before on a short cruise from Boston and had a really nice day just exploring the town.

Archived