Reflections of a First Time Cruiser

sarahruth23

I just returned from my first cruise on the Carnival Liberty to the Eastern Carribbean. I was SO nervous about going. I thought that I would be seasick, that I would be homesick (I don't like to travel), and that I would feel trapped and claustrophobic because I couldn't get away. I packed LOTS of clothes against all advice, and scheduled excursions at every port -sometimes two a day - even though everyone said I was over-booking myself and I shouldn't do so much.

Well, guess what? Every one of my fears came true. Every single one. And I had a wonderful time! It was fantastic. For the seasickness, I used the prescription patch behind my ear AND SeaBands and that kept it pretty much under control. Of course I was homesick, but I emailed every day and called often. More importantly, there was so much fun stuff going on and everyone was so nice and I felt sooooooooo relaxed that it overrode the homesickness. Yes, sometimes I felt trapped because I couldn't get off the boat. But I could always go explore another new area and ports were always coming up. I probably shouldn't say this ;), but I wasn't a bit sorry that I took too many clothes. It made me feel better just knowing they were there if I needed them! (I took two medium sized suitcases, a garmet bag, and a backpack) I had a BLAST on every one of my shore excursions and in all of the on-board activities that I participated in. I wouldn't trade one in for anything, and I still had plenty of time to lay out and take naps.

Here's my best advice - do everything that you want to do. I went with a large group of people (23) and the best thing that I did was do exactly what I wanted to do, whether they were doing it or not. Most of the time, someone else wanted to do it with me. If they didn't, I made new friends. Cruisers are very friendly :) And I found that many of the same people were on my excursions, just as my friend who went to beaches at every port found the same people on hers.

Here's my second best advice - if you are into laying out on deck, find a waiter on the first day or two and tip him extra. You will have a friend for the whole trip. We met Aleksander on our first day. We were generous with our tips, and every time we turned around, he was there. We ordered buckets of beer and every half hour he came back with fresh ice to keep them cold. I didn't drink a lot, and every now and then he would slip me free sodas. There was nothing he wouldn't do for us. It seemed like he was always there. I would be wandering through the ship and I would see him and he would say, "Sarah! I will take you to your friends. They are here." He came to visit us at dinner even though he worked the other dining room. It was so sad to come home and not be able to bring him with me!

Third best advice - get a room with a balcony!

Wow, there I go again, being long winded. Although I don't really enjoy traveling and probably won't cruise again, I had a wonderful time. I am so glad that I did it. I'm sure you will be, too!

Thank you, Sarah, for that very nice perspective.

This is the first cruise for DH, DD, and DD. I haven't cruised since I was a teenager. Your perspectives were very nice. Good for you - you did what you wanted and didn't regret it. We should all be so confident!

Thanks again!

I'm very happy to read you had such a wonderful time. Some of it I can relate to, some not.

I don't miss home one whit, of course I have my family with me, or if it's just DH and I, I love the time away from our kids. I trust our relatives to care well for them, plus they are almost old enough to take care of themselves.

I pack light, but like you, I started out packing for every eventuality. After a few cruises, I "got it" and started packing lighter. Sure, you don't have as many choices, but you learn to live with it and appreciate not having all that stuff to pack and organize.

I'm sure your bar waiter loved you, all the extra tips he was getting from you :) . I hope you did realize the tip was already included on the bar tab, right?

I hope all your cruises in the future are wonderful, you sound as though you may be hooked now!

Although you sound like you had an awesome time, you close by saying that you probably won't cruise again. Why not?

Sometimes I read through too fast and I missed that in her last paragraph!

Wait a couple weeks, she just may be back reading the boards again and dreaming of another cruise ;) . My second was 2 years after the first, but since then we've gone on at least one or two a year.

I just went on my first cruise during Valentine's week this year, and it was one of the most incredible experiences I've ever had! The new friends I made, the shore excursions, the food, everything was incredible. I had cruised with a group of 35 single Christians, and we all agreed on two things:

1. We had to do this again.

2. We had to take a longer cruise - four days just wasn't enough.

Well, Matter of the Heart Christian Singles are doing it again for 2007!

And the only thing I would do differently? I'll have to get at least an oceanview stateroom. Interior was adequate enough, but it would be nice to have a room with a view.

I really appreciate you sharing your experiences. Our first cruise is quickly approaching (although not soon enough! :p ) and I love hearing what other first-timers have to say about his/her cruise! It makes the waiting hard but the anticipation so much more exciting!!

I'm really enjoying reading about everyone's first cruise experiences. :)

My family will be taking it's first cruise to the Eastern Caribbean in June, and I can hardly wait!

(I've been reading this message board all day, and I'm still not tired of reading it!)

• 1 month later...
I'm really enjoying reading about everyone's first cruise experiences. :)

My family will be taking it's first cruise to the Eastern Caribbean in June, and I can hardly wait!

(I've been reading this message board all day, and I'm still not tired of reading it!)

I know what you mean by being on the board all day and never growing tired of reading it. We are not cruising until January and I am getting absolutely no work done because I cannot leave this board!

God I'm glad I'm not the only one addicted to this board. I cannot stay off it my husband is already sick of hearing about this cruise and we don't go until December 23rd on the Sapphire Princess! I even lay awake at night wondering if my qusetions are being answered! I've got it bad.:eek:

I just returned from my first cruise on the Coral Princess on Monday and I am already in the process of planning my next one. My sister thinks I am crazy. I had a great time, but 4 days was not long enough. Next time I am doing nothing less than 7 days.

I just returned from my first cruise on the Coral Princess on Monday and I am already in the process of planning my next one. My sister thinks I am crazy. I had a great time, but 4 days was not long enough. Next time I am doing nothing less than 7 days.

Then you'll be saying 7 days isn't long enough and booking 10 and 11 day cruises. I am now at the point that 10 and 11 day cruises aren't long enough... I want a 14 or 15 day cruise. :D :D

Thanks for that great review. I am so glad to hear that you had a great time. I had my first cruise last year on the Zuiderdam and it was the best vacation I ever had. This year we leave June 28 to see the Mouse Guy in Orlando with my son, 2 grandchildren, son's girlfriend and her son for 9 days. The DH and I drive to FLL for our cruise on the CB July 8th which I am sure I will need by then.:D

Great Review!!! I have a Question.... you said you called and emailed daily....how did you do this and how much did it cost you??? I too am nervous about being homesick.... I am leaving my 3 lil ones 1,3,and 5 year olds... I am afraid the momma will come out in me but daddy and I need the get away.

Thanks!!!

Gotta agree with you there. I went on my first cruise in February - 4 days on the Carnival Fascination. All of us in our group (35 in all) agreed that 4 days was not nearly enough. I now have a reservation (along with several others from our original group) for a 5-day cruise in February of 2007!

Archived