NYS to Cape Liberty Port

meredith

We will be spending a few days in New York City before our cruise, staying in the Times Square area, does anyone know how long it will take us to get to the cruise port in New Jersey? I have to assume that we will be taking a cab, right? I have only been to NYC once...so I have no idea, just thought it would be a fun thing to do before the cruise, take in a show, go to Central Park, do some touristy things, maybe some last minute shopping! Thanks for any help!

...even though "the City" is only a stone's throw from the port in Bayonne, you will have to allow enough time for traffic, which can be a nightmare!! And yes, I believe your best bet is to take a cab. ~~B~~

Depending upon the day & time of day will make a big difference.

It should only tkae about 45Mins but do allow 1 - 1 1/2 hours.

Lincon Tunnel traffic can be a nightmare, go early anway , your paying for the the ship so enjoy it.

Thanks for the info, as I looked back at my post i realized my typo (which happens frequently!) should have read "NYC, not NYS", anyway, looks like we don't need to spend the last night in New Jersey, we'll just leave the city early in the morning! Thanks again!

It doesn't say where you are staying in NY but you really can't get on the ship before 11 and you really don't want to leave by 10 because the rush hour still is on. Also its shorter to the Jersey pier in Bayonne through the Holland Tunnel. Check what a car service(limo) would charge becuase you will have to negotiate with the cab driver- the NY TLC hasn't set a rate to the Pier unfortunately(offer them the meter plus $15.00 and toll). Its really not far from the end of the Holland Tunnel less than 5 miles.

We'll either be staying at the Westin Times Squuare which is on 43rd street or the Raddisson Lexington, which is on Lexington. Would either of those be beter in reference to the Holland tunnel that you were referring to? Also, we live in Texas and have never taken the train, can you do that with luggage for the cruise?

Either is ok although the Westin is slightly closer. The Radisson will be in a quieter neighborhod at night but the Westin is well sound proofed. They cabs will try to get you to take the Licoln Tunnel which is longer. I personally wouldn;t take the train. You can do that but its a hassle with luggage. I would try seeing what a limo would cost,

The Lincoln Tunnell leaves you about 10 miles north of the ship area.

Then it's either route 3 to the turnpike to the turnpike extension.

The holland tunnell is right on the turnpike extension and a lot closer.

Depending on what day your trip leaves the city area - Saturday is not a killer traffic day.

A weekday could be a bit more conjested.

But the majority of the traffic is headed into the city not out.

It doesn't say where you are staying in NY but you really can't get on the ship before 11 and you really don't want to leave by 10 because the rush hour still is on. Also its shorter to the Jersey pier in Bayonne through the Holland Tunnel. Check what a car service(limo) would charge becuase you will have to negotiate with the cab driver- the NY TLC hasn't set a rate to the Pier unfortunately(offer them the meter plus $15.00 and toll). Its really not far from the end of the Holland Tunnel less than 5 miles.

Smeyer418

Thanks for the above info...our DD lives in Upper East Side Manhattan, and will be cruising out of Bayonne in Oct with us(we're in PA). Its better to get a cab or a limo car service, negotiate,and the Holland Tunnel. Any other options? Thanks!

Can anyone reccommend a good limo service? We will only have 4, so we would not need a huge car, but after reading the replies, I think a limo might be easier than the train and cabs and such.

Skip the train. It would be NJ transit amd you would be hauling your own stuff....there isn't much room for bags and they really scrutinize them.....my mom & were on opposite sides of the aisle, with our bag in the space next to us. The conductor practically had them stop the trian in the middle of the track because it was unattended. DUH..I am sitting RIGHT NEXT TO IT!

ALso, I am not sure of where you'd have to exit the train and how to get from the station to the pier.

I suggest looking on line for a limo service...try http://www.limos.com they list a lot.

Another option would be to call the concierge at the hotel and ask them to see if they could get some info for you.

I hope you have better luck finding a good rate for a car to pick you up. I've contacted @ 20 different services and the cost is crazy. We're trying to get from Chatham, NJ to the new cruise ship pier - Pier 12 in Brooklyn for a July cruise. We've given up on the car thing and plan to just drive our car to the pier and park there for $162.00 for 9 days. Seems crazy to pay so much and live so close. The sedan was going to charge that much or more for the one-way trip then we'd have to do it again once we docked. Ridiculous in my opinion. Careful when you contact them to have them explain about additional fees for luggage, tolls, etc.

Hi

Noticed that you are doing Bermuda in May, we are going in July..If you can, please let me know whats the best stuff there. We are BEACH people and would love to see the PINK Beaches. Plan to do a tour(7 nights from Philly on the Empress)docking in Hamilton and St.George. Any info would be appreciated!:D

Hey, Meredith, we're also in Flower Mound and looking at the Explorer late May. Let us know what you ultimately decide on for transportation as we'll probably fly in on Saturday and stay over and then need transportation as well. What date are you sailing??

Johnathon & April

Hey dfw4,

We are sailing August 6th, trying to get one last trip in before school starts up again! I'll let you know what we come up with, but since y'all are going first, let me know if you find anything. Thankx!

Meridith OT for Bermuda but we are also doing A Bermudian Cruise May 27 and will be spending 3 1/2 days in the City. We are doing the on off bus(Did it in Europe and it was fabulous)It is the open decker 2 story bus.Price is reasonable and gets you to all the points of interest.If you would like any more info let me know.

By the way we are taking a limo from the Port into The City post cruise as our friends that live in New Jersey will be going straight home.(They will pick us up at Newark and we will go to ship together.

Ann

Hi Barbara....I have never been to Bermuda so I have no idea what beach to hit!!! I figure maybe we can pick up a little tour and find one......or maybe a day pass at a hotel.

As for you fellow may 28 explorer people, visit our roll call.

We were just up in the Newark/Elzi area this week so if anyone has hotel questions for there, fire away.

Archived