Visiting Southampton

tabascored

We will be staying in Southampton for a few days before embarking on QM2 for NYC. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to see. We have a car and plan on heading towards Cornwall. Any favorite pubs?

Thanks for any input.

Sue

There is a wonderful pub near that I went to on the Qm 2 July 04 voyage that is about 15-20 miles from Southampton. It's called the Mayfly. It's on the River Teste. There is a little bridge just outside the pub where there are trout and ducks swimming in crystal-clear water. The entire area is beautiful with the thatched-roof homes and the colorful flower gardens. I had the very best ale I have ever tasted there. I believe they brew it. The food was traditional pud food, but it was delicious. I had ham and new potatoes. When I arrive on June 15th this summer, I'm having the driver go straight there. Save some bread to throw to the trout from the bridge. I wish I could give you exact directions. I hope you enjoy it. Thread

I forgot to mention that there is an outside deck on which to sit, eat, and enjoy the river as it flows by. There are large willow trees downstream hanging over the water and swans swimming around. The water is so clear you can photograph the large trout. I continue to wish for June 15th. Thread

We have a stopover there for a day from Le Havre before leaving for NY. I assume you can leave the boat to stroll around, but does anyone know for sure either way. Would love to get off the boat for a bit and visit a pub and meet some locals if we can.

Especially being on the QM2 a visit to the Maritime Museum should be quite interesting. There are remains from and information about the maritime history of Southampton and many ships including the original Queen Mary and the Titanic.

As Southampton has lost more than 500 people on the Titanic many memorials remember them. Thus the Titanic trail is also very interesting. Note: Her deperature point was just next to the current berth at the Queen Elizabeth terminal. The trail leads along the port and through parks and the historic main street.

Another nice walk is alongside the walls including the remains of many medieval houses and vaults. Free guided tours are offered every day in the season starting in front of the bargate, the historic main gate to the city. Just check on the net for exact times.

The medieval merchant house is almost 800 years old, is fully reconstructed and demonstrates the way of life back than. Audio guides are available.

I am not sure if the Tudor House, built in 1492, has been reopened.

There are an archeological museum, an art museum and a number of interesting churches as well.

More information can be found at

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/

http://www.visit-southampton.co.uk/

There a number of special pubs in Southampton including the Duke of Wellington, which has been a pub since 1490, and the Grapes, which used to be frequented by liner staff.

Enjoy your visit.

If you are heading towards the West Country you will probably want to take the coast road A35 from Southampton towards the west. About 40 miles west of Southampton you will come to Dorchester which is the area where Thomas Hardy lived. The country side around here is absolutely beautiful and typifies rural England. I particularly recommend the swanery at Abbotsbury. There are a number of excellent pubs in the area some which have rooms.

About 60 miles further west you will come to Exeter which is a lovely Cathedral City and is the gateway to Dartmoor - a wildly beautiful National Park.

Cornwall is about another 80 miles beyond that.

Have a wonderful trip!

As already mentioned by Carlmm, definitely go to the Maritime Museum if you are a ship enthusiast.

The best exhibit there is the wood paneling that shows Honor and Glory Crowning Time, from the Grand Staircase of the Olympic - sister ship of the Titanic. The same wood work was on the top landing of the Titanic's Grand Staircase, which surrounded the clock.

Watch out where you park if you rent a car. We found a 50 pound parking ticket on my windshield because I did not know about the payment box way up the street (I am used to U.S. method, where parking meters are right in front of the parking spot, and I had no idea I was skirting a parking fee). My written request for relief to the City of Southampton went unanswered and they got me through the rental agency, who added the bill to my credit card. Seems like Southampton could benefit from a lesson on treating tourists a little nicer. This time around, we are promptly heading for the Isle of Wight when we get off the ship.

Paul

We're staying in a hotel in Southampton which I believe has parking facilities, but THANK YOU for the heads up. We'll probably do a walkabout there. We plan to visit all the places mentioned. My husband come from a long line of whalers, sea captains and sailors so this will be very interesting for us. The first of his family left Southampton in 1629 on the Lyon's Whelp headed for Plymouth MA.

Paul, we considered going to the Isle of Wight. Have you been? A friend of my was born there and it always intriqued me.

Thanks for the website, Carl and to you Mick about the A35 and the mileage. We may want to stay somewhere along the way for the night.

Regards,

Sue

Of course, these are just SOME people's opinions, but you might want to check out this website. http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/15/15320/Mayfly/Chilbolton

Sounds like you should eat before you go!

I wonder if any of these complainers are on the cruise critics!

Karie,

who was intrigued, but the landlady sounds like the soup ****!

Thanks for the information. We are arriving one day early for departure on 5/29 for TA voyage on QM2. We are booked at the Grand Harbour Hotel. Anyone have any information on it or any other good hotels or restaurants in Southampton?

If you want the 'river experience' without leaving Southampton, you could try the White Swan in Mansbridge. It is on the river Itchen, you can see swans, ducks etc and usually there are fish to be seen. They have a garden to watch all this from & if you arrive at the right time they even provide food for you to feed the birds (yesterdays stale bread). There is also a carvery restaurant.

You can even go plane spotting :D its right under the flight path for the airport - that said it is a nice area to sit and have a drink

it doesn't seem to have a specific website but the following mention it:

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2899539-white_swan_the_southampton-i?action=describe

http://www.hants.gov.uk/eastleighramblers/ItchenWay/WalkThree.htm

Karen

(Apparently there is also a WiFi hot spot there !

http://www.ezgoal.com/hotspots/wireless/f.asp?fid=156619

)

Paul, we considered going to the Isle of Wight. Have you been? A friend of my was born there and it always intriqued me.
Sue,

I was there for a couple of days on business in February, and stayed in Cowes. Cowes is a great little town. It seems like the perfect place to take our small tribe (6 of us) because we will not need to bother with a cab or multiple taxis every time we want to go somewhere. Cowes is the kind of town you can walk around in without the need for a car (although we will need a 2-3 taxis to haul our luggage to the B&B). The Red Funnel Ferry departs only about a quarter of a mile up from where the QM2 docks.

Best of all, the town looks out on the Solent - where all the great liners of the past have come down on their way out to the Atlantic. The ships pass right near the waterfront - surprisingly close, and it is an impressive view.

Cowes is also the home of the photography shop "Beken of Cowes" which is a three generation business of photographers who are the keepers of original plates for hundreds of classic liners shot from just off the waterfront of the town. I purchased an 8 x 10 sepia of the Titanic, printed directly from the original plate, while I was there. The detail in the photograph is spectacular. There was an 11 x 14 of the Normandie on their wall that I was enamored with and may splurge for when we return.

If your plans are still flexible, I would recommend it. The ferry rides are about 30 minutes for foot passengers; an hour for cars.

Paul

The ferry rides are about 30 minutes for foot passengers; an hour for cars.

Paul

Paul, are you saying the ferry is so long (or so slow) that the front end where the walk-ons are standing gets there a half hour before the aft where the cars are parked? <LOL>

Gee, Maybe you could just get on one end of the ferry and walk to the other end and get off at your destination!

Ooops, no, that's RCCLs new ship Freedom of the Sea, launching in May. It will leave new York, you walk to the other end and you're in Miami! (P.S. I can't understand why ANYone would want to be free of the sea! I LOVE it out there!)

Karie,

whose tongue is planted quite firmly in her rosy cheek!

Paul, are you saying the ferry is so long (or so slow) that the front end where the walk-ons are standing gets there a half hour before the aft where the cars are parked? <LOL>
Karie,

Well that would be interesting. Actually, there is a smaller, more nimble ferry that takes just foot passengers and can do the trip in almost half the time that the larger car ferry takes.

Paul

Archived