Do kids have to have a SeaPass account?

Buggy

Hi there,

Going on NOS 8/12/06 and am curious as to whether the 16, 13, and 10 year olds have to have charging privileges with the SeaPass card? I'm afraid I'll end up having to work my debt off for several years on the ship afterwards! :confused:

If setting up rules and parameters for your kids doesn't work, then YES, you can have their cards turned from combination room keys and charge cards to just room keys. Just go to the Purser's Desk after boarding and ask for three room keys, and take their original SeaPasses away from them.

No but if they don't have a seapass account then they can't order sodas, play in the arcade, or do a lot of other stuff which might get a little frustrating. If you are worried, set up their accounts with cash. Let them know exactly how much they get for the week and make them keep track of it (watch it yourself as well) and tell them when it's gone it's gone.

I set a limit on my kid's cards. They can do it at the pursers desk.

You may can do it online when you do your online forms. Not sure.

Missy

As far as I could see there was no place for you to pre-set each cards limit online but you can do it at the purser's desk once you get on board. Having access to funds made it easier for my children to have a good time without always asking me to order them sodas or go to the arcade.

WARNING!!Parents have posted on this board and reported very bad outcomes with what you all are suggesting.

I am not saying that it happens all the time, but here is what has been posted here:

Parent goes to Purser's Desk, and "puts a limit" on the kid's Sea Pass. Thinks that it's all taken care of. (whether in cash or credit card) In fact, the kid charges and charges and charges and nothing happens.

Just be alert. Just because you THINK that you have sealed the deal, you can't let up on your vigilance. Check the account AT LEAST once a day. If you are on Voyager or Radiance class, you can check as often as you like on the TV. On other ships, just go to the Purser's Desk and ask for a printout of your account as often as you like.

Check the account AT LEAST once a day. If you are on Voyager or Radiance class, you can check as often as you like on the TV. On other ships, just go to the Purser's Desk and ask for a printout of your account as often as you like.

Ohhh, I thought all the ships had the account thingy on the t.v. :mad: I talked with my 16 yr. son about this, told him his daily allowance & told him to keep all his receipts so I could check them, but he does tend to forget stuff...(I still have to put his lunch in his pack each day before school or he'd never bring one!)

I guess I'll be going to the purser's desk each night just to ease my mind! :D

Christine - Don't worry about that being a chore. With the exception of one ship, I have found that the staff at the Purser's Desk can be the FRIENDLIEST people on the ship. I never mind dropping by the PD and chatting with my buddies, and asking for my printout. Be friendly, and it will be returned to you tenfold. :)

Disable Charging at check in, or on board at the Purser's desk.

Don't trust RCCL's limits.

You can ask for an account printout at the purser's desk too...which will give you a current summary of charges (and where they were charged)

Christine - Don't worry about that being a chore. With the exception of one ship, I have found that the staff at the Purser's Desk can be the FRIENDLIEST people on the ship. I never mind dropping by the PD and chatting with my buddies, and asking for my printout. Be friendly, and it will be returned to you tenfold. :)

Thanks Carol, I did look at that as being a chore! You've eased my mind! I trust his spending, I don't think he'll take advantage, it's just that I don't believe he'll remember everything, or remember where every receipt went to....:) Being on a budget, I'll have to keep an eye on things!;)

Why do they bother having limits if they really don't adhere to them? It defeats the purpose. I was really excited about that idea, too. :mad:

I'll just have to tell the kids to watch it, but I know they will be very excited as this is their first cruise, and that usually leads to forgetfullness. I think I'll have them check their accounts as well, each day.

Thanks for all of the helpful feedback!!

We're heading out on Sat on the Voyager. For our 12 yr old, we have taken his cash, put it on a Visa Gift Card and attached it to his Seapass. This way we don't have to worry about the limit restriction. We don't have to worry about the settling up of the cash the night before we disembark and he is not on our credit card.

I just set my kids up for cash on-line. When I get there, I take it I go to the purser's desk and give them the $40 for each child. Then the last night, I go and collect the left-overs. Is that right? If the child tries to charge more than is in his account, does the charge get rejected? Also, if my 17 yo wants to add more, can she go to the purser on her own, or do I have to add it for her? thanks....leaving Friday, sailing Monday!!!

Why do they bother having limits if they really don't adhere to them? It defeats the purpose. I was really excited about that idea, too. :mad:

I'll just have to tell the kids to watch it, but I know they will be very excited as this is their first cruise, and that usually leads to forgetfullness. I think I'll have them check their accounts as well, each day.

Thanks for all of the helpful feedback!!

We ended up not putting limits on our kids' passes but did tell them that if they went over the limit we set, they would be paying us back out of their allowances! It worked really well...my daughter was bugging me to find out what her balance was to ensure she didn't have to pay! Having them check their balances on the TV is a good idea, gives them an idea of what they have left to play with. We're going to do that again on our next cruise too.

It's more a flaw in RCCL's system than human error.

Anyways, there really isn't that much to buy on board (this is coming from a teen), just watch those internet bills.

Archived