Patouche - Extreme Machine - the Baths - April 6, 2006

zydecocruiser

Some great photos. Great to see Joe and Julie again. Your "hero" guide looks like Shane, did he get his snake tattoo yet? :D The cat named Shamwari was originally named Patouche back when Frenchie and Claudia were the owners. One of the fastest sailing cats in the BVI. Sure am going to miss being down there this year.:(

Dunno. Here is another pic, although he was not the primary target. :p

wBj6Fabc2BRyVEi2v5ejPygOWKKDG5fh0300.jpg

Yes they have all the snorkeling equipment.

One of the guides jumped in and got a picture for one of your frequent floaters of a baracuda and I was wondering if it turned out or if I could get a copy it

Zydecocruiser, WOW WOW WOW and oh WOW! GREAT pixs ! DH and I have a trip planned and I have been trying to explain to him what exactly the Baths were. Do you think you did better with your private tour than with ships ? Just wondering which way we should go. What led you to choose this tour company, if you don't mind me asking, of course. Just planning ahead and would like to make the most of our time.

Yes I'm sure I can get you a copy. We are having a group photo party in May and everyone brings doubles of their photos to share with each other.

I will send an email asking who got that one and make sure they print an extra. Send me your info.

Renee

rdonte@cox.net.

Thanks Renee :)

Zydecocruiser, WOW WOW WOW and oh WOW! GREAT pixs ! DH and I have a trip planned and I have been trying to explain to him what exactly the Baths were. Do you think you did better with your private tour than with ships ? Just wondering which way we should go. What led you to choose this tour company, if you don't mind me asking, of course. Just planning ahead and would like to make the most of our time.

It was a no brainer for me. AllenF volunteered to organize a charter and I said sure I'd go. We ended up getting combined with the Frequent Floaters, which was fine.

I think we did way better, but your mileage may vary. Many factors including how many cruise ships are in port. There were two at Tortola and at least 1 at Virgin Gorda, so lots of people. I understand they ran low if now out of rental snorkel equipment at the Baths. If you bring your own, it's a don't care.

One thing I really liked about Patouche is that we swam into the beach instead of having to take taxis to the Top of the Baths and walk down the stairs to the beach and ten of course, to walk back up when leaving. A waste of time and energy as far as I'm concerned.

Probably some other factors.

• 2 months later...

I'll add my thanks too! Posts like this are so helpful when planning. We are considering contacting Patouche to set up something for our CC group next June - looks like a great time!! :D

My husband is a very nervous swimmer and from what I've seen Patouche helps people like him - can anyone give me information that I can pass on to make him more comfortable with this? thanks

I'll add my thanks too! Posts like this are so helpful when planning. We are considering contacting Patouche to set up something for our CC group next June - looks like a great time!! :D

My husband is a very nervous swimmer and from what I've seen Patouche helps people like him - can anyone give me information that I can pass on to make him more comfortable with this? thanks

Tell you DH not to worry.. I had one in my group that had never ever been in the ocean and could not swim. They offered her a life ring in addition to the waist belt. Her DH and another friend stayed with her and one guide stayed very near. It is not a difficult swim in as the current helps take you right to the beach. She expressed that it was not that difficult to get back either just had to kick while in the life ring. You also have the option to stay on the boat if he is more comfortable with that. I would encourge him to take the life ring and go for it. It was amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Those are some great pictures! I noticed that there are wooded stairs and ladders now in the Caves at the Baths. When I first visited the Baths 15 years ago, there were no stairs, no ladders. You just climbed on the rocks. The stairs have to make it much easier. Now, I'm going ot have to re-think my time ashore. Do I go to the Baths, or Cane Garden Bay?

Mortal man shouldn't have to make such decisions.

vincenzo:)

Hello,

How long was your charter? Was it a half day or full day? Also, where did you pick up the boat from? Do you have their information so I can call them? I would love to see the Baths but don't know how to get there or if I will have enough time too. My ship is only in port from 8 am to 6 pm.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I love the pictures that you posted as well. They are beautiful.

Thanks,

There are a couple of routes or more through the boulders. You can still "rough" it if you wish. Or try both (or more)?

From St Thomas, it is pretty much a full day's trip and the two I know of also make a snorkel stop and might leave too early for you, but there have to be more. Also there is ferry service from St Thomas.

http://www.captainnautica.com/

http://www.limnoscharters.com/

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived