Duty Tax and Customs

Az_Redneck

I can't remember the exact dollar figure, but we went over by about 800.00 in jewelry. The customs agent just said we didn't owe anything and sent us on through. I guess if we hadn't declared it and had got caught we would have owed a lot.

I have a similar question. I am cruising on a short 3 night cruise to the bahamas next month. I already know that you are allowed one liter of alochol per each passenger that is over 21. Does anyone know how much the duty would be for each extra liter/bottle I bring back?

I have a similar question. I am cruising on a short 3 night cruise to the bahamas next month. I already know that you are allowed one liter of alochol per each passenger that is over 21. Does anyone know how much the duty would be for each extra liter/bottle I bring back?

I found this on the US CUSTOMS Website...

...Additional quantities may be entered, although they will be subject to duty and IRS taxes. Duty is generally 3% of value and the IRS excise tax is generally between 21-31cents per 750ml bottle of wine, 67 cents/champaigne, and $2.14/ hard liquor.

So the short answer to your question, about $2.14 per bottle... But sometimes they will just let you slide.

I was getting ready to say it`s about $2 on liquor. When I have declared overage, they just wave me through......don`t want to do the paperwork I guess. The only thing is, it`s so heavy if you are flying.........:cool:

The site says that if you bring a laptop made in Japan, you might have to pay a duty on it if you can't prove you owned it prior to your trip. Same goes for cameras, CD players and the like. :eek:

Does anyone claim all their stuff prior to going on the cruise?

The bahamas is pretty easy on bringing home a second bottle, as long as 1 is produced in the bahamas.

Duty would be accessed at about 10 - 30%, but they don't collect if it's under $10.

You can't bring home high proof liguor if you are going to fly back home. 151 is banned from airlines.

The site says that if you bring a laptop made in Japan, you might have to pay a duty on it if you can't prove you owned it prior to your trip. Same goes for cameras, CD players and the like. :eek:

Does anyone claim all their stuff prior to going on the cruise?

This holds true in many ports. If it looks like you bought it at port, you'll end up paying tariff on it.

Always declare or document things. Even that new digital camera can be suspect. Bring a reciept if you thing it might be in question.

Same with watches, jewelry etc.

The bahamas is pretty easy on bringing home a second bottle, as long as 1 is produced in the bahamas.

Duty would be accessed at about 10 - 30%, but they don't collect if it's under $10.

You can't bring home high proof liguor if you are going to fly back home. 151 is banned from airlines.

Took me a minute, but I can understand. It's probably because it's so flammable. I was in a Japanese Teppan Room one time and the chef at our table threw a flammable liquid on the shrimp he was cooking and it made a large plume of fire for all to ooohhh and ahhhhh at... I asked him what it was and he said "Japanese gas-o-reen".. Later he told me it was 151.. Lethal stuff you can run your car on if you had to.

That's interesting. Where did you learn about that? I've checked both the TSA and FAA prohibited items lists and there is no mention of it being prohibited. When we've gone through check in with liquor, we've never been asked to open the box or declare it's alcohol content.

Archived