Florence on Monday

My July cruise to the med. visits Florence on a Monay when most of the major museums are closed. Does anyone have any experience with being in Florence on a Monday and what museums might be opened?

Not sure what is open or not as far as museums go,but there is still PLENTY to see and do in Florence w/o going to a museum.

Here's a list from The Florence Museums' Website: http://www.firenzemusei.it/00_english/servizi/index.html

The Duomo and S. Croce Church (as well as other churches) will be open, and Florence is a great city just to stroll the streets. There are wonderful statues and fountains in the Piazzas (esp. in the area of the Uffizi), as well as the large outdoor market, shops (which we didn't get into) and of course Ponte Vecchio. Even with the major museums closed, I think you will find that there will be lots to do and see in Florence on Monday.

We also took a bus up to Piazzale Michelangelo for great views of the city. It was an easy 20 minute walk back down the hill to the centre of Florence.

If you haven't been to Florence....don't miss it :)

And it looks like some things are open depending on which Monday you are there. We went to the Bargello Museum and it was a great museum. Also it looks like the Boboli gardens are open too on some Mondays. We visited those too.

We were there on a Monday in 2004. Almost everything was closed and we knew this beforehand. Therefore, we spent part of the day in Pisa and Lucca before going to Florence. In Florence we had lunch ,went to a couple of the churches and the synagogue. We also went to the Ponte Vecchio and just walked around and did some shopping, including at the leather market.

Thank you for your help - we have been to this region before and have done the surrounding towns and the churches as well, so I was hoping for a lesser known museum or other attraction to take advantage of. I think we will do as suggested and wander the beautiful streets again, but also take the bus up to Fiesole - we have not been there.

thanks again

Maggie Mae

My July cruise to the med. visits Florence on a Monay when most of the major museums are closed. Does anyone have any experience with being in Florence on a Monday and what museums might be opened?

Yes, we were in Florence in 2003 on a Monday. The Uffizi, Accademia, Pitti Palace were all closed. Churches and shops were open.

Archived