Need seamstress help ASAP

HarleyGirl

Help! I found a wonderful dress but the bust is 40 inches and I'm 36 inches! It is possible for a seamstress to take up that much? It's a spaghetti strap, long straight dress. I love it but they dont have my size. I am pretty sure the rest of it would be okay. Of course I'm taking a big risk ordering it online. I did call a tailor and they would not even answer the question without seeing it. I just wanted a general idea of whether it was something I could work with or not. Thank you!

Help! I found a wonderful dress but the bust is 40 inches and I'm 36 inches! It is possible for a seamstress to take up that much? It's a spaghetti strap, long straight dress. I love it but they dont have my size. I am pretty sure the rest of it would be okay. Of course I'm taking a big risk ordering it online. I did call a tailor and they would not even answer the question without seeing it. I just wanted a general idea of whether it was something I could work with or not. Thank you!

Usually one size is the max you can alter without completely changing the integrity of the dress.

Four inches is too much so without seeing the dress, I would have to say no.

These things always happen to me! And usually the dress is too small! And this one is way too big--go figure! Thanks for your help. I figured four inches would be too much, but I'm a complete idiot when it comes to sewing so I had no idea.

There is always the possibility that the dress isn't actually 4" too big, and w/o trying it on there is no way to know. If it is a slip style dress, it probably can be altered enough to fit you. I sew a lot, and have found dress measurements all over the place, from 1" smaller than stated to 3" bigger than stated. The worst thing that happens if you order it is that you have to pay shipping to send it back - unless it's a dress on ebay!

Probably way to much to be taken it, but if you think it can be done, call a seamstress before you buy the dress to see what the will charge. I bought my daughter a second hand formal dress for $3 at the goodwill but it was to long, i took it in to see how much they would charge to hem it and they wanted $40, no way, so i finally found a friend to hem it, it took about 20 min. and it was free.

I could have bought myself a cheap sewing machine and done it myself for that price.

Archived