High seas from Seattle?

Robin7

We've cruised twice to Alaska. Once we did an Inside Passage round trip out of Vancouver and once we did the Inside Passage southbound out of Seward. I heard that the seas can be rough going from Seattle. Is that true? I got sick on the r/t out of Vancouver until we actually got into the Inside Passage. This time we're going out of Seattle and we'll be leaving on July 28th. What are the odds of high seas?

Robin

We were on the Zaandam R/T Vancouver last year at the end of May. We were due in Juneau at 11:00 AM, but arrived early and took the berth that was supposed to be for the Oosterdam doing the Seattle R/T.

The reason the Oosterdam was late was because of the high seas on the outside of Vancouver Island.

However, any open ocean sailing in the North Pacific can be rough, or could be a walk in the park.

We have booked the Oosterdam R/T Seattle this June and will just have to wait and see what the seas bring. The entire first and last day of sailing will be around Vancouver Island and.....who knows?

If you're prone to seasickness, take whatever works for you. My wife likes the patch.

I have done the Seattle R/T twice. First Time we had 20 Ft seas + and last year in Sept, the seas were calm and temps in the 70's all the way to Alaska and back. In Sept, we seen lots of Whales-Orcas and Grays.

We did the R/T Seattle itinerary last May and there were a few days when we experienced some rocking. I am prone to motion sickness. I ALWAYS take Bonine and it does the trick. I take it the night before the cruise and every night during the cruise. Have never been sick.

We did the RT out of Seattle last September on the Sapphire and our first day out on the open seas, it was very rough--about 20 foot seas, I believe. I woke up in the morning to the hangers sliding back and forth in the closet. I was never frightened...my DH & I actually went to the Promenade deck to watch the ship hitting the waves and predict which waves would get the biggest splashes....I know it sounds a little silly, but it was fun....and we are the parents of teenagers.:D I did take Bonine and ginger tablets the first couple of days!!!

Bronine/dramanine always seems to do the trick for us but you have to take it before the rocking gets going. If motion starts to bother you, head outside into the fresh air.

I always react to the rocking motion like turbulence in a plane. It really won't hurt you (unless severe) so enjoy the ride.

I have heard that if you tip the Captain an extra $20 USD, he will go another route so you can avoid those rough seas. You just have to do it discretely, if any of the staff or crew sees him take the $$$ he has to put it in the tip pool for all to share, so be careful no one is around when you slip him the $20 :)

I've sailed out of Seattle and Vancouver. The roughest we experienced happened to be out of Vancouver. It was windy and the inside passage held it like a funnel. So you can't count on it either way.

-Monte

I have heard that if you tip the Captain an extra $20 USD, he will go another route so you can avoid those rough seas. You just have to do it discretely, if any of the staff or crew sees him take the $$$ he has to put it in the tip pool for all to share, so be careful no one is around when you slip him the $20 :)

tedjazz, seriously I have never heard of such a thing. Someone must have been pulling your chain. A capt IS NOT going to change itineries for a $20...or whatever, for that matter!

I've sailed out of Seattle and Vancouver. The roughest we experienced happened to be out of Vancouver. It was windy and the inside passage held it like a funnel. So you can't count on it either way.

My husband reminded me that the sailing I was sick on was during a storm. We had 19 family members with us and two of the grandmas also got ill, one bad enough to require a trip to the infirmary. UGH.

I've been fine on other cruises (to the Caribbean and Mexico), even with moderate seas. I just hate to take anti-seasickness pills because they make me soooooooooooo sleepy. I guess I'll take the new Dramamine which promises less sleepiness and hope for the best.

(Although it wiped out my 10-year-old at Disney World in December. He got sick on Mission: Space so we gave him some. Even after drinking a Coca Cola with caffeine in it, he still crawled into his younger brother's stroller and slept for a while. Poor kid!)

Robin

My husband reminded me that the sailing I was sick on was during a storm. We had 19 family members with us and two of the grandmas also got ill, one bad enough to require a trip to the infirmary. UGH.

I've been fine on other cruises (to the Caribbean and Mexico), even with moderate seas. I just hate to take anti-seasickness pills because they make me soooooooooooo sleepy. I guess I'll take the new Dramamine which promises less sleepiness and hope for the best.

(Although it wiped out my 10-year-old at Disney World in December. He got sick on Mission: Space so we gave him some. Even after drinking a Coca Cola with caffeine in it, he still crawled into his younger brother's stroller and slept for a while. Poor kid!)

Robin

I too get sleepy from anti-seasickness meds. Take the meds the night before you cruise and then every night while on the cruise. I switched to this method many years ago and have had great success with it.

Oh great........I hadn't even thought about sea sickness on an Alaskan cruise. We are doing a R/T from Seattle. I just assumed that because it was an inside passage trip that we wouldn't be in the open ocean. What do I need to expect? We are sailing May 27.

We were on the Disney Magic when that huge wave hit NCL and did damage. Our ship felt that also. It was amazing to be in your bed and then in the air :eek: . I hope that I never experience that again!!!!

Is Bonine bought over the counter?

Yes. You should be able to find it at any pharmacy. The generic name is meclizine, which can sometimes be bought over the counter as well for much less money. Meclizine is also the active ingredient in the NON-DROWSY type of Dramamine.

Yes. You should be able to find it at any pharmacy. The generic name is meclizine, which can sometimes be bought over the counter as well for much less money. Meclizine is also the active ingredient in the NON-DROWSY type of Dramamine.

We have sailed to Alaska twice out of Seattle on NCL and the first night is always the worse. We start taking the NON-DROWSY type of Dramamine/Bodine two or three days before we get on the cruise and we have never felt any type of sea sickness. Good Luck and enjoy your cruise. Alaska is beautiful no matter what time of year or how rough the seas/passage might be!!!!!!!

Archived