Brooklyn dock/Ellis Island

Kindlychap

I'd appreciate a word of advice from someone who is in a position to know.

It is possible that we might in future have a trip that stops for the day in New York. How feasible is it to get to Ellis Island, and then back in good time for "all aboard"?

Is the bridge to Ellis Island (from the near mainland) still there? Is it possible to drive up to it, and if so how long would it take in a taxi from either Pier 90 or Red Hook?

My wife very much wants to visit Ellis Island, but neither of us want to fly to New York just to do that.

Thanks for your help!

Hi, Rather than take a taxi all the way to Ellis Island I would suggest going to Battery Park, southern tip of Manhattan, (by taxi or whatever) and taking the ferry to Liberty Island and Ellis Island. they run round trips and you just spend as long as you want then catch the next boat to the next stop.

Can't remember the cost but probably still have the tickets somewhere. Unless someone else knows?

Regards, Colin.

There is no bridge to Ellis Island so you would not be able to arrive via taxi or bus. So to continue from Colin's suggestion above, when arriving at Battery Park:

You will need to take the Downtown Circle Line which runs ferries with stops at both Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. You can purchase tickets in Battery Park at the Castle Clinton (will see signs for it) or go online at: http://www.statueoflibertyferry.com

The tickets are good for trips to both islands. There are also ferries which depart from South Street Seaport (also downtown Manhattan - can walk from Battery Park - which is has a wonderful maritime museum that is also a must visit. You might be able to take the ferry back to the seaport.

The ferry has half hourly service from 9:30 am. Your ticket entitles you passage to both islands (are ten min from each other via ferry). The only day the ferry is not in service is Christmas.

Jeannie

http://www.nps.gov/elis/pphtml/planyourvisit.html

here is how to get there. Take a cab to SOuth Ferry and take the Ferry over...the bridge was only during constuction. You'll have to take a cab back. Even during rush hour its a quick ride through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel($4.00 toll)

Sometimes there can be backups and you get stuck in the tunnel so leave plenty of time to get back to the ship. I would imagine all must be on board by 4pm as she usually sails at 5pm, so you would want to hop into that taxi no later than 3pm from the Battery. I would not chance leaving any later. There is a ferry leaving 2:20pm that arrives at Batttery Park at 2:40 which I think would be good. The next one leaves at 2:50pm and arrives at the 3pm cut off time. I believe you will be cleared very early off the ship - will certainly make the first ferry at 9:30 am. I think this will give you about 5 hours which will be more than enough time to do Ellis Island, you may be able to do the Statue of Liberty also.

At the present time there is a big construction project concerning the access roads from Battery Park to the Tunnel which have been causing backups. Usually this type of road construction in NYC goes on for some time, so it is possible this may still be in effect when you travel.

The toll is $4.50

Though one could take a cruise ship that stops in NY, or maybe a back to back crossing, there is LOTS to do in this big city to keep one busy for days. You would not have to fly to NYC just for this one place to visit.

Good luck to you.

Sometimes there can be backups and you get stuck in the tunnel so leave plenty of time to get back to the ship. I would imagine all must be on board by 4pm as she usually sails at 5pm, so you would want to hop into that taxi no later than 3pm from the Battery. I would not chance leaving any later. There is a ferry leaving 2:20pm that arrives at Batttery Park at 2:40 which I think would be good. The next one leaves at 2:50pm and arrives at the 3pm cut off time. I believe you will be cleared very early off the ship - will certainly make the first ferry at 9:30 am. I think this will give you about 5 hours which will be more than enough time to do Ellis Island, you may be able to do the Statue of Liberty also.

At the present time there is a big construction project concerning the access roads from Battery Park to the Tunnel which have been causing backups. Usually this type of road construction in NYC goes on for some time, so it is possible this may still be in effect when you travel.

The toll is $4.50

I am so use to e-z pass which the cabs have to use. Its listed as $4.50 but $4.00 with e-z pass but I wouldn't sweat either way. Because of the toll many people avoid it. Its still faster and cheaper bt cab through the tunnel with the toll than the Bridges without them. If you can get the tickets for the ferry on line it will save you allot of waiting time.

Though one could take a cruise ship that stops in NY, or maybe a back to back crossing, there is LOTS to do in this big city to keep one busy for days. You would not have to fly to NYC just for this one place to visit.

Good luck to you.

Thanks to one and all for all this information. My wife and I are not fans of New York, to say the least. Other than the Metropolitan Opera, there is really nothing there that draws us. She asks me to point out that having fallen over in front of Secret Service officers and seen them watch her and do nothing, she does not wish to return. I have spent five days in the city, most of which time I was in the Lincoln Center.

A member of her family went through Ellis Island, so you'll understand the interest. I have a friend who shares our view on New York, but also says Ellis Island is the one thing worth going for.

I don't have a problem with anywhere else that I have been to in America. Not even Las Vegas...... Indeed there are some lovely bits and some lovely people. Just not New York - probably the rudest city I have ever been to.

Archived