Phillipsburg to Marigot to Orient Beach..taxi rates needed

syndyj

Hi,

this will be my second visit to St. Maarten and I have searched all over for recent taxi rates but can't find any! We would like to take a taxi to Marigot spend some time there then take a taxi from Marigot to Orient Beach.

Has anyone done this before, if so how much time is spent getting from place to place and what were the taxi rates?I know the local buses go to Marigot and I have no problem taking the bus either.Any tips are welcomed.

There is (was?) an official St. Maarten taxi site, but recently it seems to be down as often as it is up.

If it is not working, I grabbed this screenshot of their rates a while ago. It should give you some idea of pricing.

Thank you so much for the screen shot, I did try the taxi website but the site is down.I am bookmarking your link. :)

I did that route on my 2005 cruise (Phillipsburg-Marigot-orient Beach).

As I recall, it was approximately $18-$20 from Phillipsburg-Marigot, and another $18-20 Marigot to Orient.

However I was traveling "solo", so might be less if you can find someone to share a ride with.

Also: there is a sign posted at the taxi stand at the pier area with all the taxi rates posted to several destinations.

Tip: Be sure to have your camera ready for a "kodak moment" as you approach Orient Beach. The view is absolutely BREATH-TAKING!!

Enjoy!

Annie

• 2 weeks later...

I am a big fan of the jitney bus service on St Martin. They're 13-seater 'church vans' that cost tourists $2 per trip segment, pay when exiting. They are clean, civil, and a good way to rub elbows with the residents. (some buses have air conditioning, some do not)

Bus stops are marked in Phillipsburg on Back St (signs say Bus Halte). On the route, people get on and off where ever they need to. Buses have signs in front window with destination, Marigot, Grand Case, etc.

Getting to Orient Beach was not exactly door to door. We took the bus marked French Quarter, and told driver where we were going. (travel time, 30 min max in light taffic) He kindly left the main route by about 1/2 mile to drop us at the entrance of the Orient Beach community. From there it was a few blocks to the beach concessions. He advised us for the return, to walk up the street back to main road because the buses don't normally leave the route looking to pick up people. That walk was pretty, but gently uphill in the blazing sun and about 1/2-3/4 mile. From there, we caught the next bus to Marigot (travel time, 20min in light traffic)

Anyway, taking the bus from Phillipsburg to and from Marigot is more straightforward and convenient than to Orient Beach, but it was a fun little adventure.

Archived