Steadiness/rockiness of ships

CJcruzer

In reading this thread, I'm reminded of something that sets me to giggling every time. At the conclusion of the Captain's reception, or the Mariner Reception if it's on a formal or informal night, and after we've all had the free hooch, the early seating dinners rise up and start walking toward the diningroom. Many times, there is a side-to-side motion to the ship at that moment.

I watch as the ladies perched on their high heels go ------> and <------

all the way down the hallway and in perfect unison. Fun to be part of and fun to watch.:D

well now, that explains it...now I know why high heels weren't meant to be worn on a ship !!! :)

I'll bet that like most of us you will come to love the motion of the ocean. If you worry about becoming seasick, you might want to plan to take one of the motion sickness meds like Bonine each evening, beginning the night before your cruise, just as insurance. Better to take it as a precaution than to try to stop the seasickness once it starts. Also, don't let your stomach get really, really empty. (As if that were possible on a cruise.:) )

Actually, it is between the ears but not in the mind -- I believe that it has to do with the sinuses and our internal balance mechanisms. That is why it takes a few days to acclimate and a similar amount of time after returning to land.

When I return to terra firma after 10 days on a sail boat my sinuses will continue to slosh with the expected seas for over a week -- a sensation just as bad as the original sensation from the seas. I do not believe that this is imaginary -- just differs from person to person.

I have found that if my sinuses are clear I will acclimate to the seas much faster than if I am breeding stuffy sinuses.

Archived