Am I being unreasonable?

cossitt

In September 2002, my girlfriend and I took a 7-day Princess cruise through New England. After boarding, we arrived in our cabin to find it in less than ship-shape condition - soiled bedding under one of the beds, a horrible mess in the toilet bowl and a 2'x3' puddle on the carpet in front of the bathroom doorway. We immediately called the purser's desk and a manager and room steward were dispatched to clean things up. The next morning, the puddle was larger and the growing dampness produced a sickening stench. Two more calls to the purser's desk were placed and a large and very loud fan was brought into the cabin to try to dry things up. That night, the water was receding but the smell remained. Another call was placed to the purser's desk. As we were getting into bed, a construction crew and a ladder arrived to do a couple of hours' work in the ceiling. By our third day on ship, the carpet had dried enough that we could now place things on it and the smell seemed to have dissapated. For our troubles, Princess sent a bottle of wine to our cabin.

On my return home, I sent a letter to my TA and to Princess stating my dissatisfaction with our living conditions on the ship for three days. Princess agreed and extended us each $175.00 towards our next cruise, along with $50.00 each onboard credit to be applied to any Princess cruise booked through the end of October 2003.

Unfortunately, due to a lengthy illness and death in my family and one in my girlfriend's family, we did not book another cruise until the end of 2005. I thought I would give it a shot and contact Princess to see if there was any way they would consider extending their offer of credit. Their answer was an emphatic no.

My question is, should an extension of goodwill such as was given us by Princess have an expiration date on it and why would our commitment to Princess be any less valuable to them in 2005 than it was in 2003? Am I being unreasonable in wishing to pursue this matter further?

In September 2002, my girlfriend and I took a 7-day Princess cruise through New England. After boarding, we arrived in our cabin to find it in less than ship-shape condition - soiled bedding under one of the beds, a horrible mess in the toilet bowl and a 2'x3' puddle on the carpet in front of the bathroom doorway. We immediately called the purser's desk and a manager and room steward were dispatched to clean things up. The next morning, the puddle was larger and the growing dampness produced a sickening stench. Two more calls to the purser's desk were placed and a large and very loud fan was brought into the cabin to try to dry things up. That night, the water was receding but the smell remained. Another call was placed to the purser's desk. As we were getting into bed, a construction crew and a ladder arrived to do a couple of hours' work in the ceiling. By our third day on ship, the carpet had dried enough that we could now place things on it and the smell seemed to have dissapated. For our troubles, Princess sent a bottle of wine to our cabin.

On my return home, I sent a letter to my TA and to Princess stating my dissatisfaction with our living conditions on the ship for three days. Princess agreed and extended us each $175.00 towards our next cruise, along with $50.00 each onboard credit to be applied to any Princess cruise booked through the end of October 2003.

Unfortunately, due to a lengthy illness and death in my family and one in my girlfriend's family, we did not book another cruise until the end of 2005. I thought I would give it a shot and contact Princess to see if there was any way they would consider extending their offer of credit. Their answer was an emphatic no.

My question is, should an extension of goodwill such as was given us by Princess have an expiration date on it and why would our commitment to Princess be any less valuable to them in 2005 than it was in 2003? Am I being unreasonable in wishing to pursue this matter further?

In view of your circumstances it certainly would have been nice if Princess had extended their offer to you.

However I would speculate that you were the victim of the Pandora Box theory.......if they make an exception to you....they have to be consistent with others.

In my opinion yes. Sorry.

Back in 2002 you were extended an offer that could be applied through the end of October 2003.

Like you said, you thought you "would give it a shot". Good for you. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

They said no. So... It is a done deal.

I know it would be nice to bend the rules occasionally, but then again, they give you ONE YEAR and one year only to use those options. They don't break the rules.

I am sorry there have been problems and you couldn't book within the time frame they gave, but you know, that really isn't their fault.

I would just forget about it, there just isn't much you can do. When the offer they gave expired, it is gone forever.

It is kind of like those that don't book insurance, and they have something terrible come up and they think the cruise lines should do something for them, it just doesn't happen. :(

Tough question, tougher answer. I too, would be extremely unhappy and maybe even a little #%&*@! with a cabin in such condition.

Seems to me most circumstances warrant a slightly different response.

Couple of Points.

Princess did respond with an offer and you accepted that offer (even if a bit skimpy IMHO!)

You did not meet the terms, and it was 'given' to compensate for a problem.

If you're 'given' a certificate with a time frame attached, and you don't meet the parameters, I would say you lost it. However, if you buy or are given a 'purchased' certificate, there should be no expiration.

I guess that there could be an 'accounting charge' of say $5.00 per year to keep the certificate alive beyond a year from purchase if the giving company wanted to extend their certificate.

So to give you a direct answer, I would still pursue - but that's just me. There should not be an expiration date on correcting a wrong.

From my personal experience and reading posts on these boards, Princess runs a tight ship.........since you accepted their offer I think you are out of luck.

But, thanks for posting because this will remind us all handel things when we are on the ship and not settle for a credit but demand immediate reimpursement in cash or credit on our shipboard acount. I agree with wecks I think what they gave you was skimpy and for goodwill the exp. should have been far longer than a year.

When you receive a future credit as opposed to a refund, what they're saying is "Please give us another chance to do this right."

They limit the time on these credits so that you'll return quickly and erase the negative impression and so that you'll increase your loyalty. If you don't return in a relatively short period of time, the impression you leave is that you're trying out someone else -- that you're not loyal.

Do I think you have a reasonable excuse for your delay? Of course. Do I think it is smart business for them to change their mind on this? No. On the other hand, I think if you had called them during the credit time-frame and explained that you were not vacationing anywhere that year due to an illness, they might have been willing.

Thanks so much for your responses. I don't want to appear to be an ungrateful wretch and realize others have far more serious issues to deal with than do I (i.e. those from the ship fire) but I guess I was just hoping that Princess might consider an extension on the credit. I guess the old adage still holds - you snooze, you lose.

Diane.

Thanks so much for your responses. I don't want to appear to be an ungrateful wretch and realize others have far more serious issues to deal with than do I (i.e. those from the ship fire) but I guess I was just hoping that Princess might consider an extension on the credit. I guess the old adage still holds - you snooze, you lose.

Diane.

Diana - I still say you should take the time if you have it to give. Princess gave you compensation for a definate wrong. That should not expire. I do agree with Mary Poppinz that you should have contacted Princess. I think that would have helped you. Worth the effort if you have the time.

You did say that the $350- was towards your next cruise, so that could still be good, I would check and make sure. What you're going for then is $100.00.

Good Luck.

When you receive a future credit as opposed to a refund, what they're saying is "Please give us another chance to do this right."

They limit the time on these credits so that you'll return quickly and erase the negative impression and so that you'll increase your loyalty. If you don't return in a relatively short period of time, the impression you leave is that you're trying out someone else -- that you're not loya

IMO If they want a persons' loyalty they should have taken care of the problem right away and given them cabin credit on their present cruise.

They did not provide a clean room as was promised, princess got by cheap and they know it. Once the onboard bill was paid princess was only out a bottle of wine....terrible customer service.

Thanks, wrecks, for the words of encouragement! I certainly have nothing to lose so I'll give it a shot. Again, appreciate all the feedback!

Diane.

Just remind them that the only way they can have you as a satisfied guest is to provide that credit........good luck

Thank you, land lover. Princess stated in their last letter to me that they "hoped I will continue to consider Princess Cruises for my future cruise holidays" so I'll reply to their letter and see if they are willing to bend at all. As always, the posters' feedback has been most helpful to me.

Diane.

The one thing I have to say is that Princess tries to be consistent in enforcing their word. If they start making exceptions for everything, things will be a mess.

I would rather have them enforce their word on everything so that people know exactly what they are dealing with.

In view of your circumstances it certainly would have been nice if Princess had extended their offer to you.

However I would speculate that you were the victim of the Pandora Box theory.......if they make an exception to you....they have to be consistent with others.

And so they should given similar circumstances!

It would seem that the time to have approached this problem would have been prior to the expiration of the offer. Surely the OP knew at the time that she would not be able to meet the deadline.

Realizing that we all forget these things during times of trauma in our lives, it is understandable. But, as others have stated, just where does a corporation, such as Princess, draw the line on when to make an exception to their rules. They must deal with this sort of situation daily, with the need for strict enforcement of their policies.

Many have stated here that Princess is usually not flexible, thus, it would seem that further negotiating would probably be futile.

If the OP has the time, and inclination to do so, it certainly could not hurt. However, the original offer seems so minimal as to be rather fruitless at this point.

Hard call - but I think Princess probably should stick to its guns - and not grant an exception.

They made an offer, and you did not follow up in a timely manner, albeit you probably had good reason not to do so.

"Contract" or not, one has a "reasonable expectation" of certain things, like a clean cabin, etc....Lot's of things are not in a "contract"..That does not mean you are "Out of luck", When you book a cruise certain things are implied, such as basic sanitary conditions being met....Apparently this was NOT met...

Diane,

There are always exceptions to the rules...and you can be an exception if you are willing to put in the time and energy. It will be more difficult because of the time lasp....but not impossible. Be very specific on how they can make you a satisified guest, in yourt first paragraph tell them what you want, today, to make you happy.

L:) ri

"Contract" or not, one has a "reasonable expectation" of certain things, like a clean cabin, etc....Lot's of things are not in a "contract"..That does not mean you are "Out of luck", When you book a cruise certain things are implied, such as basic sanitary conditions being met....Apparently this was NOT met...

Amen.

Here's what I would try to do:

Find a cruise you are interested in on Princess. Find a comparable cruise on another line. Then call Princess and explain that you are deciding between the two, but given your prior experience you are reluctant to book on Princess again. But gee, if they would honor this prior certificate for you, it would really make your decision easier. I would just call the main number and not any person that you have previously had contact with. Who knows if it will work, but it's worth a shot. I would also politely ask to speak to a higher-up if the person who answers the phone can't help you. Be polite, but persistent. Good luck!

I appreciate all the interest everyone has taken in my situation. I understand those who say I should have dealt with this before the offer expired but I guess my mind was just on other things at the time (not an excuse, just by way of explanation).

I will make contact with Princess again about this. Is it felt that speaking with them by phone rather than through a letter would be more effective?

Diane.

I would tell Princess that I would have no intention of sailing with them again, unless my 'perks' were re instated. I would also add that I would continue to voice my displeasure, if Princess did not comply with my request, but I would also state that if the matter was resolved, I would inform Cruise Critics Good luck. john

Maybe I just got lucky or something. I got one of those promotional booking credits of $100 posted to cruise savings account. The credit was to expire in June 05. I had a cruise booked for May 05 and was going to use the cabin credit on that cruise. My mom was ill and we had to cancel that cruise. I called the Captain's Circle phone line and explained the situation. I was put on hold and a supervisor came on the phone and told me how sorry he was about our cancellation and extended the promotion approximately a year out. I went on a cruise this past November and was able to use the credit. I was extremely happy with Princess and thought they really did the right thing for me. I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but I have been on over 20 Princess cruises. Sometimes it just depends on who you happen to get on the phone.

Archived