Tallinn Card

I have just found details of the Tallinn Card (www.tourism.tallinn.ee/fpage/explore/tallinn_card)

It costs about 8 Euros for a 6 hour card and seems to be fabulous value. You can buy it in advance (in the UK anyway) at www.octopustravel.com for £5.50 and I think we will do this to save our precious time when we arrive.

It covers all public transport in the city and some sightseeing buses and entrance to loads of museums etc and also an audio tour of the old city.

Does anybody know whether we can get a city bus from the cruise port ?

Thanks

Kathy

Hi, Kathy - thanks for posting this link. We have been spending so much time researching St. Petersburg and London, that we haven't researched Talinn or any of our other stops for our Jewel of the Seas Baltic cruise in August.

I browsed the Talinn Card website, and noticed two things of which people should be aware: the prices are going up as of April 1st 2006, so the 6-hour card goes from E6 to E8, and the 24-hour card goes from E16 to E22.5. Also, and more importantly, some things are NOT included with the 6-hour card: the city tour, the hop-on/hop-off bus, the audio guide tour, the bicycle tour. Those are just the ones I noticed since that's what we'd be interested in, but you should review the things you want to do to see whether they're included. That just means that you'd have to get the 24-hour card for a one-day cruise visit, which still seems like a good deal.

I don't know about a city bus, but from reading the boards it seems as if most cruise line have free or low-cost transfers to the Old Town, from which you could start your touring.

It is a shame the audio tour is not included - I missed that the first time I looked through. The red, green & blue line hop-on-hop-off buses do seem to be included (but the longer city bus/walking tour is not). I found a map of the red line one and it has pick up points near the port area.

We were on the Jewel last summer and used the city cards for many of the ports (London, Oslo and Stockholm cards saved us A LOT of money!)...but Tallinn? We didn't get it. We used instead Rick Steven's Scandanavia book, which had a great walking tour of the city. We did that instead and got to see much of the town. We did purchase tickets to the top of the church to see the views, which was on the Tallinn Card, but that in itself wasn't enough of a reason to buy the card.

We were on the Jewel last summer and used the city cards for many of the ports (London, Oslo and Stockholm cards saved us A LOT of money!)...but Tallinn? We didn't get it. We used instead Rick Steven's Scandanavia book, which had a great walking tour of the city. We did that instead and got to see much of the town. We did purchase tickets to the top of the church to see the views, which was on the Tallinn Card, but that in itself wasn't enough of a reason to buy the card.
Like Jodi, we bought cards at other ports, but didn't think the Tallinn card was worth it or necessary. Celebrity provided a free shuttle to the old town. The old town is very walkable, and I'm not sure there are even any buses running in the old town itself. Also like Jodi, we used Rick Steve's book for info on the sights in the old town. Having said that, read the info re: Tallinn card carefully and decide for yourself.

My wife and I are traveling to Tallin this summer. We will only have about 7 hours to see the city. What are the main attraction? Should we book an excursion with our cruise or should we go it alone?

Thanks in advance!!:D

Archived