Cruise West Japan- any reviews

DoctorTom

Dear Pacmom, Thank you so much for a great review and good info. And Tom, from what I've read you might want to get a slip-on of some type (no laces) for easily getting them on and off at shrines, temples, restos, etc. And Cruise West says "lots of socks." I spoke to a woman at Cruise West's headquarters who had been on this trip; asked her about Croks (luckwarm reaction--"maybe if they're black") and she suggested normal clogs. There's some mention of this in the docs.

But, hey, why not Croks?

Dotti

Tom,

You have to take off your shoes for the tea ceremony and the "mother's" house tour in Kanazawa. Crocs or sandals are good. Also have to take them off for Matsue and Hemeji castles. But you also must have socks on. Bring an ATM card and get yen in Tokyo. Your next real chance will be in Nagasaki. You will probably get to Nagasaki on a Sunday. The only place we found for ATM was the train station--second floor. The exchange rate on the pier at Nagasaki was terrible--one to one. The more urban places took credit cards. If you plan to bring any Saki or whiskey home buy before the duty free store--cheaper out on the economy. The island of Miyajima has a great 1000 yen store--glorious kimonoed dolls, purses and silk scarves. The Japanese economy is booming--things so very much more expensive than last visit.

You will be told the evening before if you will be taking off shoes. If Jen doesn't say anything, be sure to ask. I would definitely bring something rubber-soled for wearing on the ship. Will be interested to hear your impression about the trip. Safe travels and ENJOY!!!!!! Pat

About shoes----there is plenty of time to unlace shoes at all places requiring shoeless entry. People on our cruise had all types of footwear. Sturdy walking shoes are really needed. You will cover lots of ground in 10 days--wish I had worn a pedometer. Pat

Dear Pacmom, Thanks for more great info! What did you do "solo" in Nagasaki and Takamatsu? Did you have any guide? Did you eat ashore?

And would you recommend going on your own at any other ports?

I loved your "1000 yen shop" info. Any other good shopping tips?

Best,

Dotti

Dotti,

On the pier at Nagasaki htere was a TI center. We got a map, tram info and directions to a internet cafe and a church. Those 2 things accomplished, we wondered around. I went back to the ship and Terry went to the shrine of the 26 martyrs and to the train station for an ATm. We had heard that the climb to Glover Garden was steep, so knew I wouldn't make it. At Takamatsu, Sue-san, one of our guides gave us directions to the shopping arcade. We also found the gardens and Castle--all within a 10 min. walk of the ship. That day, we got our city map at the ANA hotel. I am a knitter and was looking for the Japanese yarn Noro--never forund it. Like everything else I wanted, it was probably in Kyoto. We didn't eat ashore except for a few snacks.

Also on Miyajima, there is a small cake-the maple leaf. The one with chocolate filling is soooo good. I brought a small box home--wish I had brought more. We had very warm weather, so just about every place we went, we found soft ice cream. It was wonderful--especially the peach and the green tea. There are also 100 yen stores--a good source for origami paper. Don't forget to try to walk through a department store--NYC stores pale in comparison. Also the supermarkets are a fun place to wander and try to figure out what some of the stuff is.

Travel safely and ENJOY. Pat

Dear Pat,

Thanks for your quick reply and for all the additional info. Good to know! Sorry to hear that you didn't find your yarn. I've started "beading" and will be on the lookout for beads. Will finish packing today for 9:00 car pick-up tomorrow morning to JFK for our nonstop flight to Tokyo. The time has come at last!

Arigato.

Dotti

• 3 weeks later...

Roy-e-e-e,

We were on the 2nd of Oct cruise---the ports fascinating--bus trips too long. We sent cruise west a 3 page letter re:expedition leaders as they are called. If you want more specific info, email at momcooney@woh.rr.com. I'll be happy to answer your questions. This is still a very new itinerary, so they are still working out the kinks. Some of the guides on the buses were hard to understand, but if you spoke one on one they were wonderful. By the time (2 cruises later), Dr. Tom and Scott and Zelda cruised it could have been different. We went on our first day's excursion fully expecting to go to a working silk factory. I do some weaving and would have been fascinated. We were told that we were going to the L.C. Tiffany museum instead. The museum was fantastic. This was the first of lack of real info. We went to every briefing, but one. We unintentionally fell asleep before the zodiac briefing. But there were others who missed it and Andy gave us a short order drill. The ship, crew and Captain were outstanding. There was never an alternative given, even when we were docked right downtown. As I said this is their frist year with the itinerary, by next spring it should be wonderful. Safe travels. Pat

We are recently back from the Oct 20th Japan cruise. We had a great time overall, but I agree with all of pacmom's observations. I will try to write a detailed review once I am over the jet lag and thinks have calmed down at work - maybe this weekend.

Tom

Tom,

Wecome back. Don't know about you and Michael, but it took us almost 2 weeks to get back on EDT, and then we switched to EST. Looking forward to hearing about your trip. Did you meet Scott n Zelda--hope so.

Rest up--the holidays are upon us. Pat

• 1 month later...

We're booked and confirmed for Sept 26, 07. I suspect we will be too early to view the 'fall colors'. I'm finding the posting's expremely helpful from those of you who went this year. Trying to decide if we want to stay a few days extra on our own to visit Kyoto. Either way we have to get transport to Norita for flite back to the US.

Are US dollars accepted in most places or do we need to pay with yen ?

Looking forward to reading Dr. Tom's report as that's the cruise we almost took this year.

Jean

Glad to see that you will be going next year. Definitely go to Kyoto on your own. The bullet train stops there and will take you to Tokyo where you get the train to Narita. In fact unless you want to rest, go to Kyoto as soon as you get off the ship. That last day we were taken to another feudal castle with a very strenuous climb just to get to castle building. Kyoto is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

You will need yen--some of the smaller cities do not take US money or credit cards. There is an ATM at Narita that accepts US cards. There is also one at the train station in Nagasaki and also Kobe.

Please don't hesitate to ask more questions---will try to answer them. I amd also waiting to hear Dr. Tom and ScottnZelda's impression of the cruise. Travel safely. Pat

• 3 weeks later...

How about some more reviews.We are seriously considering this cruise however my husband has some mobility problems and we are a bit concerned. It sounds a bit strenuous.He will have no problems on the ship but cannot do a lot of walking or climbing.Does anyone skipthe strenuous parts? He loves Japanese food. Is it served on the ship?

Bette,

The crew makes every effort to ensure that anyone with mobility problems gets as much out of the cruise as possible. The 2 castles are not for anyone with any walking problems. The included tours in Nagasaki are very strenuous---we went on our own to the parts of the town we wanted. We also thought the walking inTakamatsue would be too strenuous, so we walked all over on our own---all level walking. Hiroshima and Miyajima are definitely doable---one of the most wonderful days on the trip. Found Tokyo tiring--only because of jet lag. Go a day early. The last day before Kobe was very long--45 mins on a bus to a garden (beautiful), then 45 mins more to the town of Kurishiki. The town was very level, beautiful canals, lovely shops(not real touristy stuff). Then almost an hour back to the ship. The captain's dinner was that evening plus the debarkation talk. Way too much for the last day. But if you didn't go off the ship in the mornings, you got to see nothing at most of the ports.

The food on the ship was not oriental at all. It was wonderful!! Service was great. A wonderful crew. My favorite place to eat was the buffet on the 5th deck with outdoor seating. We had the opportunity to sample 3 different types of Japanese food at lunches off the ship, plus the Korean BBQ while in Korea. If we had only known how late the ship sailed from Hiroshima, we would have had dinner ashore. Another favorite of the group on our cruise was green tea ice cream. Many of us could be seen with ice cream cones, even at 10am.

The rooms, mini suites, had a frig stocked with water and soft drinks--no charge. The beds quite comfortable. Bathroom a good size. We were in the bottom deck--it was fine. There were no complaints about the ship itself. Our big problem was that the expedition leaders seemed to lack any real knowledge about the ports--Internet cafes, ATMs, churches, money changing facilities, alternative things to do in the port, especially if the included trip was too strenuous. The internet on the ship was terrible. We had a doctor on the ship--he went on all the excursions. I think if I had any real medical problems, I'd be on his bus. It is a very port intensive trip; you see parts of Japan you might not ordinarily see. I would definitely take time to spent a few days in Kyoto (skip Kobe). Easy to do on your own. It is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

If you have any more questions, I'll try to help. Travel safely and enjoy. Pat

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

We are booked on the Oct 22 2008 cruise and have been told numerous conflicting tales about getting the bullet train from the docking area back up to Narita .. any one done it? Is it as simple as asking crew to get a taxi and then buying ticket at bullet train station? We are allowing 7 hours leaving station around 9:15 to make a US flight at 3:55 pm .. enough time?

don.brown@brownchild.com

I am so glad my husband found this thread! We are going on the Japan trip the 8th/9th of October after being in China for 3 weeks. My SIL has been on this ship twice, Alaska and Galapagos, and really enjoyed it. I just wanted to give some info on the Bullet Train. We are not doing the extension that includes the Bullet Train because the seats are "coach" and you have no outside view. You can get 1st class tickets yourself, as we did. Really looking forward to this trip, have only been in Norita!

Archived