Skybar on Mercury

teedee

I was looking at the dailies from a recent Mercury cruiser that someone was nice enough to post & noticed that the Sky Bar was closed. Does anyone know if this was a temporary closing due to the sanitizing that was being done on the ship or is it permanant. The dailies were from one of the sailings with problems from the Norovirus. We are on the April 28 sailing and have been planning our sailaway get together from the Sky Bar but we're wondering if we should go somewhere else.

Terri

Terri, does it actually say 'Closed' or is it just not listed with the bar openings?

It was open when we were on. That's the deck 12 outside bar, right? I was surprised that even on sea days the pool bars didn't open until 11 or 12.

I don't think it's closed as in you can't sit there, just no bar service. But there will be bar servers to get you drinks in that area,[/font

I had to work harder on Mercury than on most ships to find an open bar!

Be sure and try the Margarita tasting at the Palm Springs Bar about 11:30 on the first sea day. They will give you tortilla chips but no salsa, at least not on our sailing. They also have a Daiquiri tasting but I didn't go to that one. Can't remember the day. They're both $9.50, plus 15%. Six drinks to taste. Didn't do the Martini tasting due to the Martini Bar not being really comfortable.

One thing you guys need to remember. This isn't the Caribbean. More than likely your sailaway will be pretty cool! So you need to figure on some warm clothes. Especially on deck 12!

We did not get warm weather till around noon on the first sea day. Also plan on kind of choppy seas for your last sea day. If anyone gets seasick that will probably be the time.

To me this was a very different experience than the Caribbean! They advise you not to swim in the Pacific because of powerful waves and undertow.

I used a french terry sweat suit. I felt I needed the longer pants. You know me. I'm the original shorts and bra top girl! But this time I had to cover up!

You'll need the same the last half of the last sea day and also while disembarking.

on the Mercury next March, my dh and I. Any input on what deck? I am looking at the Sky Deck, but notice most of the rooms are connecting. Is that anything to be concerned with? Btw, Gail, you are going to love HAL.

Marie

Marie, you will find a little more noise comes through the door, even closed, than will come through a solid wall. Of course, if the people next to you are naturally noisy it could be bad. It was noticeable but not annoying in my case.

I heard of people complaining of more noise than usual on deck 10, under the buffet.

I was on deck 8 and had no problems. Except the bleaching and wheezing, of course!

The Panorama Deck, which it sounds like that is exactly where you were. I have not cruised Celebrity since the Horizon cruise(due to the solo pricing mainly) so that is why I am considering this cruise with dh. I DO love HAL, as I just got off the Oosterdam last month with my sister. I was considering the Oosterdam again and then saw where the Mercury was sailing during the same time frame. Leaving out of San Diego really appeals to me, easy, easy. Dh and I cruised on the Zuiderdam in Dec(his first HAL).

I just think it is awful what y'all went through on your cruise, just awful.

Marie

I just read on a Galaxy thread about some insides on Deck 8 being a little larger, is this the same for the Mercury, and if so, do you have those cabin numbers? And, do you know just how much larger they are? Thanks.

Marie

Archived