Packing for Alaska

killer32

Last year we did an end of May cruise and I made sure I had jeans a few sweatshirts and a waterproof jacket. We got lucky and never needed the jackets for rain and the weather was so nice!!!!!a good pair of gym shoes too for walking. You will love it!!!!!

Without packing a ton of stuff, I highly recommend layers for Alaska. I haven't gone there on a cruise in May but have in June and twice in September.

AK never does get real warm, and is known for it's abundance of rain. Not necessarily downpours, but more like the drizzles. I do recommend taking a small umbrella for shopping in port.

We have been very lucky in our cruises to AK to not have much rain, but it is often grey and cloudy. Cool too, but you don't need a parka!

If you are going to be seeing a glacier (I don't know which ship you're on) it is VERY cold out on deck while at the glacier(s). You don't want to have to go back inside to warm up just when you are seeing wildlife in the water, icebergs and glaciers. You'll be happy that you have something to keep your head, hands and legs warm.

It seems to me that the cruises to AK are more laid back than other itineraries. You will likely see more casual clothing and less formal attire on the ship.

I hope this helps! We are going on the Star in June. Only 9 weeks from tomorrow, but then, who is counting!

Hikini:D

Went on an early May cruise. One port wore shorts and tee shirts. One port rained. For the most part the weather was great. A rain slicker is good, as are overshirts. Tee with a shirt over the top. Hat, gloves (a must) good outdoor shoes. On board, just the usual cruisewear is fine. Check weather.com and you can see the forecast. Also check the average temps and you'll have a good idea what to expect.

Without packing a ton of stuff, I highly recommend layers for Alaska. I haven't gone there on a cruise in May but have in June and twice in September.

AK never does get real warm, and is known for it's abundance of rain. Not necessarily downpours, but more like the drizzles. I do recommend taking a small umbrella for shopping in port.

We have been very lucky in our cruises to AK to not have much rain, but it is often grey and cloudy. Cool too, but you don't need a parka!

If you are going to be seeing a glacier (I don't know which ship you're on) it is VERY cold out on deck while at the glacier(s). You don't want to have to go back inside to warm up just when you are seeing wildlife in the water, icebergs and glaciers. You'll be happy that you have something to keep your head, hands and legs warm.

It seems to me that the cruises to AK are more laid back than other itineraries. You will likely see more casual clothing and less formal attire on the ship.

I hope this helps! We are going on the Star in June. Only 9 weeks from tomorrow, but then, who is counting!

Hikini:D

WHEN IN JUNE ARE YOU GOING?:confused:

We have been to Alaska twice over the Memorial Day Weekend the last two years. The first year we went it was cloudy, cool and sort of rainy every where we went. Last year, it was sunny and warm except when we went to Hubbard Glacicer ( Very Cold until we stopped). Last year the Captain said we had the brochure weather which was true. As someone else suggested, I would pack for weather from Early Spring to Late Fall and have winter things (gloves, ski cap, etc.) if you are planning to view Glaciers from an open deck or a balcony. Regardless, you will never see such beauty any where as you see in Alaska. We are going back again this year but in September instead of late May!!!!!!!

Archived