Best way to book?

rainbowhays

After reading many posts I get the impression that many of you regular cruisers receive a good service from your TA's. I also note that those of you from USA almost have a personal relationship with your TA's.

As my experience is totally different, in that our high street agent does nothing but make the reservation and take our money, offering none of the service you seem to get, I was wondering two things.

1) What makes a good TA and how do you find one?

2) Can I use an American agent even though I live in England?

I hope you can help me, Thanks

Yes, you can use a US agent. I have many clients in the UK and other parts of the world.

Keep in mind that the UK and US use two different tariffs. Many times air inclusive from the UK will be considerably. cheaper than doing your own air and booking through the US tariff.

Also if you book using US tariff you are bound by the US contract of passage and not the UK, which is more stringent and skewed towards the passenger.

Your best bet is to price both ways and see which works out better for you.

Sometimes it is not US. Drives me crazy at times, but the client must do what's right for them.

And not to sound like Mum, but you should always purchase travel insurance to protect your vacation investment.

I am lucky to have a fabulous ta! She gives great service and is available a tremendous amount of hours. Some of my friends from the UK now use her and have no problems. They generally price the trip through the UK agents and then talk to her. Most times she can do better for them.

As far as to how to find a great agent, I think you need to get input from people and go by recommendations, then talk to the agents you're considering and go with the one you think you 'click' with. You may have to try more than one, but a good ta is worth a lot. A GREAT ta is worth her weight in GOLD!!!

I agree with Gail, a good ta can make a huge difference, and not just with the initial price of the cruise. My ta keeps an eye on the prices and if the price goes down makes sure I get a refund. I never have to worry about it. She's very knowledgible about cruises so I value her advice. I would also talk to friends who are happy with their ta and talk to different ones until you find someone you feel comfortable with. Before I found the one I use now I had some very bad experiences, so I'm very grateful to have such a good one now!

Terri

After reading many posts I get the impression that many of you regular cruisers receive a good service from your TA's. I also note that those of you from USA almost have a personal relationship with your TA's.

As my experience is totally different, in that our high street agent does nothing but make the reservation and take our money, offering none of the service you seem to get, I was wondering two things.

1) What makes a good TA and how do you find one?

2) Can I use an American agent even though I live in England?

I hope you can help me, Thanks

Hello

We are from the UK and recently booked a Celebrity Cruise with an American travel agent. Their service was second to none, and after a few days of wondering IF we would show on Celebrity's reservation system, we saw that we were indeed holding a reservation.

Our tickets have arrived (a month before our cruise) and I can't see any problems - but perhaps I ought to confirm that all went well on our return!

I don't think I can give the travel company's name (and oh how I agree with you on British travel agents - utterly useless!) but they are based in Florida and have C D in their name!

I have a friend who used another American travel agent, V2G, and was pleased - no snags with her plans.

JMO, but I think when most of us, like teedee and I, speak of travel agents we are not speaking of the online discount companies where you get whoever is on duty. We are talking about real people who have you as clients and work with your best ineterests at heart. Lots of people like online agencies but to really get service (like when my ship was 5 hours late, I missed my flights and had to get home, my ta got on the phone and not only got me home but did it at a good price), I prefer to deal with one person.

I use to book all my cruises through a quick online travel agent. That was until the cruise lines got together and instituted the new policy which forbids travel agents from discounting the cruises. Now I book directly with the cruise line. It gives me the power to control my booking without having to rely on someone else. I kind of like it this way.

Archived