Xpedition-Quito Question

FlightMedic555

We're in the process of arranging for the flight to Quito for our Xpedition cruise to the Galapagos (not until March of 2007). The "normal" arrival time allows for one full day in Quito with tours arranged by Celebrity. Does anyone have an recommendations as to whether coming in to Quito a day earlier which would allow 1 day on our own and the second full day under the auspices of Celebrity as a good or bad thing? What is there to do in or around Quito that might be good for us to do that would benefit by our arriving a day early??:confused:

When we looked at the Xpedition trip a year ago, the program was pretty fixed. You get to Quito on Friday, most probably in the evening since that seems to be when most of the US flights arrive. On Saturday, you take a city tour which includes the Park at Mitar Mundi ( the Equator ) and dinner Saturday night ( I think). Sunday morning you fly to the Galapogos and join the ship.

Our problem was that we were already going to be in Ecuador prior to the cruise on a service trip in the Andes and wanted to join the group at Quito Airport on Sunday Morning. No dice, apparently Celebrity has contracted for the whole package and we would have had to pay for the Hotel Rooms on Friday and Saturday, as well as the tour and dinner ( which we would have done for the third time the weekend before.) We passed and cancelled the booking.

The City tour is pretty well done, IMHO, and I'm not certain that you would gain a lot by being in Quito a day earlier ( Thursday?) except for having one additional day to adapt to the altitude.

Hope that's of some help to you.

I agree with Ed that it might be helpful to have a day to get used to the altitude. I'd also try to get tcts on the early flight to Quito. The late flight often finds the airport fogged in. We spent one unplanned night in a hotel in Guayaquil, arriving at Quito the next meeting after the city tour and catching up with our group for lunch at the Crater restaurant. AND I did have a problem with a terrible altitude headache the first night. Some on our cruise went to Otavalo but I think the market there is on Wed so they missed the main reason for going there.

Otovalo Market is on Saturday and is not to be missed if you can help it. I would suspect that you would also go to Cotocachi which it the leather market. Beautiful things at good values. Also some not so good values as you might well expect.

More information here: http://www.ecuadorexplorer.com/html/otavalo.html

We arrived in Quito a day early as we were using AA FF miles ... Arranged to stay at the Marriott, they were very accommodating - the Marriott shuttle met us at the airport in Quito and the reservations folks advised on booking a room so we wouldn't have to move when we shifted from our bill to Celebrity's.

We booked a private day tour that went north of Quito on Friday with Grey Line through Martin Slater's agency (Sangay). We thought the day very worthwhile as it afforded the opportunity to learn about some local customs and it did include a stop in Octavalo. The artisian market appeared completely set up and open (the animal market is Saturday only) , but since its not the normal market day the crowds were gone.

Celebrity does a good job of hitting the Quito city highlights on Saturday. Sheila also makes a good point about flight arrivals into Quito. Flights usually diverted to Guayaquil, although some folks on our trip spent a night in Panama .

Frank

We arrived a couple of days before and this gave us a chance to take a full day trip to Cotopaxi which was interesting . It also gave us a chance to relax in preparation for a pretty hectic schedule .

Emdee, Hi. We are coming one day early and doing the 11 night - giving us 2 days to do tours on our own. I was thinking of visiting Cotopaxi NP the final day. What tour did you do and how was it? I've seen one described where you hike around a lake in the shadow of the volcano. I'm not really interested in going to the refuge (it's hard to get photos of a mountain when you're on it).

Hi Kamper, we took the Gray line private. The tour was OK. Overall interesting. Took us first to a museum about Cotopaxi . Then to the lake (almost dried out) where you can walk around and then up the mountain. We stopped at about 15,000 feet as my daughter was feeling giddy. On our return we stopped for lunch at a hacienda belonging to a grandaughter of a past president . Shabby genteel decor but fabulous views of cotopaxi.

Overall a good day - something different. They bring out the lamas if you want to feed them or for a photo op as well.

The best vie of cotopaxi was on the day we returned from Galapagos. As our bus was driving back to the hotel we got a spectacular view - wish the weather was clear the day we went but couldnt be helped.

Have a great trip

Archived