China Visa Requirements

R&Rcruisers

Hi Folks.

We are cruising on the Sapphire Princess Oct 2 2006 from Beijing. The next two stops are also in China.

Does anybody know what the China Visa Requirements are for this ? I've heard from some that a singe entry visa is all that is required. While others have indicated that a multiple entry visa is required.

Has anyone done a cruise like this ? If so, please advise what the visa requirements were.

Many Thanks !

R&Rcruisers

I'm on the Pacific Princess this June - Bangkok to Beijing and it was made clear we needed a double entry visa. The pre-cruise docs had a link to the US State Dept. as well as a visa service. I have read posts from travelers who were not allowed off the ship in the second port because they had a single entry visa.

Hey, R&R,

We are booked for the July 16th Bangkok to Beijing cruise and we have additional time in Xian and on the Yangtse, but we were told by our TA that when we send in the final payment, Princess will forward the necessary papers to us for filing with the Chinese embassy. I'm assuming they will forward the appropriate paperwork to you as well. You do have the option of choosing just the single entry, but you won't be allowed off the ship at the second stop. personally, I couldn't see going all that way and not getting off the ship, but each to his or her own.

Hope this helps a little

Charlie

Hi Folks.

We are cruising on the Sapphire Princess Oct 2 2006 from Beijing. The next two stops are also in China.

Does anybody know what the China Visa Requirements are for this ? I've heard from some that a singe entry visa is all that is required. While others have indicated that a multiple entry visa is required.

Has anyone done a cruise like this ? If so, please advise what the visa requirements were.

Many Thanks !

R&Rcruisers

I went round and round with Princess, the State Dept. and the Chinese government in 2003. (Finally cancelled the cruise, as they would NOT give me a MULTIPLE entry visa-different from a double entry)

These are the rules. IF you enter China by any means, do three CONSECUTIVE stops in China, then leave China, you only need a single entry Visa. However, if you enter China (by air, land, train, or ship), go to stop 1 in China, then go to another country (my cruise went to South Korea), then go back to China, you will need a DOUBLE entry visa.

It is also my understanding that you will now not even be allowed on the ship if you do not have the proper visa. Not just "not allowed" to get off the ship.

Look at your itinerary. If you are going to ANY other country (even an island that is not owned by the Chinese) you MUST have a double entry visa.

Don't bother calling Princess-they are as clueless as their passengers. And their visa service-Zierer-is almost as bad. Got four different answers from four different people. Am I glad I didn't take their advice!! I would still be locked in a Chinese prison.

We are doing the 16 day Beijing to Bangkok cruise June 30 on the Pacific Princess. The previous poster is correct, you will need a "DOUBLE-ENTRY" VISA IF your ship is leaving China, stopping at another country, then going to a Chinese port again. We are leaving Beijng, then Korea and Japan, then back to Shanghai, China, hence the need for a double-entry VISA. The Double Entry VISA costs $75 per person. I chose to go to the consulate in Chicago so I could personally control my Passport rather than sending it to a visa service to do it for me (plus they charge a hefty fee for taking care of it for you.) I could just see my passport getting lost in the mail right before I was to sail! Can you say "Nightmare???" Now, you can ONLY get the VISA NO SOONER that 90 days before your last entry into China, so be careful that you don't get the VISA too soon! It might not be vaild when you hit your last port.

The Chinese DO NOT make it easy! I read the Chicago Chinese Consulate's website thoroughly before I made my plane reservations for TWO trips to Chicago, two weeks apart. One to drop off the application, one two weeks later to pick up the visas. I am going back to Chicago on April 28 to pick up my passports/visas. The website NEVER said when you are to pay the fees, but I found out you actually PAY the fees at the pick-up, not the drop-off. Plus, NO WHERE did the website say you could leave a FedEx envelope at the Consulate, and they would FedEX your passports and visas back to you. That would have saved me a second trip to Chicago had I known that. But, again, I would have run the risk of my passports/visas getting lost. Oh well, I love Chicago and I will enjoy the second trip.

By the way, if you go to a consulate, be prepared to stand in a long line to drop off your VISA application. I waited about two hours in line to get up to the ONE window accepting applications. Take a book to read while in line! There was no line at the pick-up window, so I am hoping that won't take long. The operating hours aren't very conducive to customer service either... 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and again 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. They are only open Monday through Friday as well. Oh...make sure everything is filled out correctly on their forms (can be downloaded from the Chinese Consulate website.) They aren't forgiving if you don't have something done correctly! You have to have a 2" X 2" passport photo to submit with your application, so be prepared for that.

I'm sure many people use the VISA services, but I preferred doing it on my own.

One more thing, if you go to a consulate, you can only go to the one that is assigned to your state. I go to Houston frequently, but I couldn't use that consulate, as Kansas is assisgned to the Chicago consulate! The communists are so FLEXIBLE! :)

I can cross the visa off my list on April 28! Woo Hoo! Our trip has had the final billing, so only about two months to go til departure!

David

FLTXKS@aol.com

Folks,

Many thanks for all your good advise. As you can see, there seems to be a few that think a double visa is required, and some that think a single visa is required.

For our cruise, we will be flying in to Beijing, then cruising to 2 other ports in China - then on to Korea, then to Taiwan, and finally Japan.

Since we have 3 consecutive stops in China, and then never return, I believe a single entry visa is all that is required. If this is not the case, then we would need a multiple entry visa (3 entries) - and from what I can see, there is no multiple entry visas for tourists. See the chart below.

Detailed information of Chinese visa

Visa Categories Entries of Visas Validity Duration of Stay Journalist Visa (J-1) Single 3 months / Journalist Visa (J-2) Single / / Study / Student Visa (X) Single 3 months / Residence Visa (D) Single 3 months / Tourist Visa (L) Single / Double 3 months 1-60 days Crewmember Visa © Single / Double 3 months 1- 30 days Transit Visa (G) Single / Double 3 months 7 days Visit / Business Visa (F) Single / Double / Multiple 3 months 6 / 12 months 1-60 days

So for a 'double' entry tourist visa, we would not be able to go to the last (3rd) port in China (Shanghai). Crazy isn't it ?

I'm hoping some folks that have recently taken a cruise like ours, with 2 or 3 consecutive stops in China, will give us the benefit of their experience.

Thanks again everyone !

R&Rcruisers

FLTXKS posted "Now, you can ONLY get the VISA NO SOONER than 90 days before your last entry into China, so be careful that you don't get the VISA too soon! It might not be vaild when you hit your last port."

Does that mean if our last China port is Shanghai for 2 days, 10/5/06 & 10/6/06, we would count back 90 days from 10/5/06 to get the beginning date we are able to obtain our Chinese Visas? So, if 90 days is the earliest we can start the process, I assume we can also start the process 60 days from our last entry in China to start the process... right?

Once we obtain our Visas, how long are they valid?

Thanks for the help!

Sandy

FLTXKS posted "Now, you can ONLY get the VISA NO SOONER than 90 days before your last entry into China, so be careful that you don't get the VISA too soon! It might not be vaild when you hit your last port."

Does that mean if our last China port is Shanghai for 2 days, 10/5/06 & 10/6/06, we would count back 90 days from 10/5/06 to get the beginning date we are able to obtain our Chinese Visas? So, if 90 days is the earliest we can start the process, I assume we can also start the process 60 days from our last entry in China to start the process... right?

Once we obtain our Visas, how long are they valid?

Thanks for the help!

Sandy

I'm wondering if the rules have changed (AGAIN). I am looking at the first visa I got for China. L visa (tourist-double entry). It was issued Sept 28, 2005. But says right above the issue date, ENTER BEFORE March 28, 2006, which is 6 months. The website states 90 days, and I have two more Chinese visas issued after the first one. Second on issued Nov. 6, 2005, ENTER BEFORE-Feb. 6, 2006. The third was issued in Feb. 2006, but it is a multiple entry business visa, good for 2 years.

You may only stay 30 days on each entry, even for my business visa. I have heard from multiple people that have multiple entry visas that they take the train across the Vietnamese border, then return the next day. New entry, another 30 days in China.

Folks,

Many thanks for all your good advise. As you can see, there seems to be a few that think a double visa is required, and some that think a single visa is required.

For our cruise, we will be flying in to Beijing, then cruising to 2 other ports in China - then on to Korea, then to Taiwan, and finally Japan.

Since we have 3 consecutive stops in China, and then never return, I believe a single entry visa is all that is required. If this is not the case, then we would need a multiple entry visa (3 entries) - and from what I can see, there is no multiple entry visas for tourists. See the chart below.

R&Rcruisers

Everyone is in agreement, I think. Multiple stops IN CHINA, not leaving the country, require a single entry visa. Double entry is required on MOST cruises, as you enter China, then go to Japan or Korea, then back to China.

As you pointed out, there are NO multiple entry tourist visas.

Just logged onto the Chinese Consulate page for Los Angeles. In the Q&A section it states: The Visa is valid for 90 days from the date it was issued.

It also states: If applying and picking up Visas in person, you can pay by cash or money order... no personal checks accepted.

Obviously, giving yourself some validity leeway time, from the time you leave the last Chinise port, is definitely in order.

Sandy

I would only add that the Consulate really likes you to bring your Itinerary. Then THEY can tell you which (single- or double-entry visa) that you need.

I am bringing my Princess confirmation plus my information from my T.A. for my pre-cruise (7 days) in Beijing. We will be flying (R/T) to Xi'an for 2 nights so that may be considered a stop - I dunno. I didn't see the photo requirement, so thanks, again, for that.

If you are comfortbale handing over your passports to a Visa service (and don't mind paying their "upcharge,") then, by all means, that is the most painless and efficient way to get a Visa. However, since I seem to live in a "Murphy's Law" world, I could just see my Passport getting lost along the way with me scrambling to get a replacement moments before my plane leaves for China! :) Handling it personally made sense for me.

I did take my itinerary with me to the Chinese Consulate, but they didn't seem to want a copy.

There were signs all over the Consulate Visa office to MAKE SURE you weren't planning on entering China 90 days PAST the DATE the VISA application was TURNED IN! Apparently, they use the date that you actually hand them the application, not the date the VISA is given back to you (5 days, at least, later.) Hence, my caution to make sure you are within the 90 day window.

We arrive in Beijing on June 26, so I could have gone as early as March 26 to submit my application at the VISA office.

Happy Sailing!

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I just saw on another thread that a double entry visa may be required on the Oct 2 Princess Sapphire sailing. Even though this sailing goes from Beijing to Dalian to Shanhai (all China ports without going to another country) the point is that between Dalian and Shanghai that the ship would be going through international waters.

see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=208263&page=16 for more information.

Thought you might be interested ...

R&Rcruisers

I rescheduled my cruise and after reading all these posts was concerned I'd have to send off for another visa to be within the 90 day window. My visa is stamped valid March 28 - use before September 28 - six months.

I just logged on to the China Consulate web site - what it says there is the single entry visas are good for 3 months - the double entry visas are good for 6 months.

I rescheduled my cruise and after reading all these posts was concerned I'd have to send off for another visa to be within the 90 day window. My visa is stamped valid March 28 - use before September 28 - six months.

I just logged on to the China Consulate web site - what it says there is the single entry visas are good for 3 months - the double entry visas are good for 6 months.

Please don't interpret the 6 month expiration as meaning you have 6 months to use the visa initially. The actual rules in effect in China state the FIRST entry on a double entry visa MUST be made within 90 days of visa issuance. Then you have another 90 days to enter again, before the visa expires. But you may be able to change the issue date on an unused visa for a small fee, IF you go to the Consulate.

Chinese visas are totally frustrating and confusing. I made many, many phone calls to China-to the US Embassy in Beijing and the Chinese government AND 5 trips to the Consulate in Los Angeles trying to procur a MULTIPLE (3 or more) entry visa for my cruise. Got different answers almost every time I interacted with the Chinese. Finally gave up and did a land tour my first trip to China.

Good luck. If you use your original visa, be prepared when you actually get to Mainland China that the immigration officer may follow the China rules and not allow you to use your visa. If so, you will have to go to Hong Kong and get an "instant" visa. Takes at least 6 hours, IF you apply before 10:00AM.

Oh, the joys of dealing with a Communist country!!!

Thank you for the response. You're right, this is very confusing and I really appreciate the input. If I read this correctly, I think I'll be okay within the time frame you mention. My visa is dated March 28 - my first stop in China is Hong Kong June 22, then Shanghai June 25 and finally Beijing on June 30. I believe either Hong Kong or Shanghai doesn't require a visa to enter - don't recall which one, but in any case, it sounds like I will be "barely" okay. Is that how you would see this?

Thanks again,

Pat

Thank you for the response. You're right, this is very confusing and I really appreciate the input. If I read this correctly, I think I'll be okay within the time frame you mention. My visa is dated March 28 - my first stop in China is Hong Kong June 22, then Shanghai June 25 and finally Beijing on June 30. I believe either Hong Kong or Shanghai doesn't require a visa to enter - don't recall which one, but in any case, it sounds like I will be "barely" okay. Is that how you would see this?

Thanks again,

Pat

It sounds like you are OK, just "barely". HKG does not require a visa, just a passport. Enjoy!!!

PLEASE LEARN FROM OURMISTAKE. WE WERE ON THE CRYSTAL HARMONY MARCH 2005. WE GOT SINGLE ENTRY VISAS. WHAT A MISTAKE. WE WERE TOLDTO LEAVETHE SHIP IN NAGASAKI AS FOR CHINA.IT WAS GOINGTO DALLIAN AND WE HAD USED OUR SINGLE ENTRY VISA.WE LEFT THE SHIP FLEW BACK TO HONG KONG SPENT THE NIGHT GOT NEW VISAS AND FLEW BACK TO SHANGHI TO REJOIN THE SHIP. THIS COST EACH OF US $3000.00

a very expensive error.get multiple entry visas

PLEASE LEARN FROM OURMISTAKE. WE WERE ON THE CRYSTAL HARMONY MARCH 2005. WE GOT SINGLE ENTRY VISAS. WHAT A MISTAKE. WE WERE TOLDTO LEAVETHE SHIP IN NAGASAKI AS FOR CHINA.IT WAS GOINGTO DALLIAN AND WE HAD USED OUR SINGLE ENTRY VISA.WE LEFT THE SHIP FLEW BACK TO HONG KONG SPENT THE NIGHT GOT NEW VISAS AND FLEW BACK TO SHANGHI TO REJOIN THE SHIP. THIS COST EACH OF US $3000.00

a very expensive error.get multiple entry visas

What an absolutely HORRIBLE experience!!! Did Crystal stand for any of the expenses? Probably not, but just curious. Did Crystal not state that you needed a DOUBLE entry visa? Or did they just state in their documentation that you needed a Chinese visa? HAL's world cruise initial documentaion just states "Chinese and Vietnam visa's needed".

Even if I thought I didn't need it, and especially after reading your experience, I think I would get the DOUBLE entry visa. Small price to pay for sanity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------When we were in St. Petersburg two summers ago, our tour company, Red October, took care of our visas.

When we in Turkey, about six years ago, Princess took care of our visas.

Thanks so much to this board!!!!

Has anyone else used the place that Princess recommends for the visas?

I'm a little wary about mailing our passports -

(My husband said that we are not traveling to Chicago to get visas -)

Also, are there any special shots that we need for this trip? We never traveled to the Orient before -

I picked up our passports and visas at the Chinese Consulate Visa Office in Chicago on Friday. Smooth pick up...only had to stand in line for about 30 minutes. They had signs up that they would be closed May 1, 2, and 3 for "International Labor Day." I don't recall seeing that notice on their website. I can't imagine how furious I would have been if I had flown to Chicago on May 1, 2, or 3 and found that they were closed!

The Chinese Visa is actually a page glued into the passport with entrance dates, expiration dates, etc.

I'm sure the VISA services are good. I just am one of those "hands on" people who prefer to manage my own affairs.

Happy Sailing!

Archived