A free Nassau shore excursion - April 8, 2006

zydecocruiser

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I was wondering if you could tell me if the gardens/ zoo are within walking distance from the ship, and if the scene looked safe for a person to go alone. Also, how does the traffic look there? The group we are going with wanted to rent a car and tour around (that's why I was wondering if it would be safe for me to get dropped off at Adastra and picked back up) Thanks!

Hi,

I was wondering if you could tell me if the gardens/ zoo are within walking distance from the ship, and if the scene looked safe for a person to go alone. Also, how does the traffic look there? The group we are going with wanted to rent a car and tour around (that's why I was wondering if it would be safe for me to get dropped off at Adastra and picked back up) Thanks!

Nassau is not the place to rent a car/moped... stick with a taxi. Honestly not much to see in the "boonies" and everywhere else you will have parking problems. The "zoo" is in walking distance. More than 300,000 live in/on Nassau and traffic is hectic to say the least. GBI is twice (or more) the size and has around 50,000.

Now on GBI renting a car could be nice day.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Trying to bump this post up since it's EXACTLY what I was looking for and was surprised that the last (solitary) post was from 2012, and from before that 2008 :(

I was looking to do a self-guided tour because I have no interest in wandering around aimlessly, going to Atlantis, or swimming with dolphins (wellll, maybe the last one but I'm not so willing to part with my $$$). I figured there might be other cruisers out there heading to Nassau that would be interested in this.

A bunch of the links are dead, so I did some sleuthing and found the relocated links:

Walking Tour, Historic Nassau (Text)

Walking Tour, Historic Nassau (Map)

Original photos and information by Zydecocruiser

Hey Klag . .

Good for you. Thanks for the reposts of the walking tours.

We have no plans to return to Nassau anytime soon but tops on my 4 trips have been lunch and touring the grounds and cigar factory at the Greycliffe Inn with a visit to the Art Gallery of the Bahamas before or after. We even walked to the library and to the Historical Society. Also walked along the beach to the landfill area for a great lunch of conch fritters. Never felt unsafe though there are some aggressive street vendors. Just know where you are going and walk with a sense of purpose is my rule.

Once at the straw market is one times too many in my book. And once is enuf for Atlantis too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD