Bahamas/Carribean cruise recommendations

cococrust

Hi all

Let me share a short background first. This vacation is planned with 4 people in mind (2 young adults [mid 20s] and my parents). My parents are in their 50s and they are not US residents. Anyway, I have been planning a short (4-5 day) Bahamas/Carribean cruise for this coming June for all of us (to spend time together and relax). Because of time constraints, the dates have to be between June 1st and June 10th. This cruise will be our 2nd one (1st is onboard Princess Cruise to Alaska 2 years ago). At first thought, I was going to go for a short Mexican cruise, but the itinerary doesn't really entice us, so the focus has changed to Bahamas/Carribean. We are also based out of Los Angeles, so flight arrangements is also another factor.

Used the internet to search through the different cruises that suit our schedule but I can't decide on which ones to go for. Hopefully the wonderful people in Cruise Critic can help. (Really hoped I had found this site before we went for our last cruise, though it was really enjoyable).

Option 1

Caribbean/Bahamas 4 Days • Royal Caribbean Int. • Majesty of the Seas

- This cruise begins from Miami and stops at Nassau, Key West and Coco/Little Stirrup Cay

- Depart on June 5th and return June 9th (fits our schedule very nicely)

Option 2

Caribbean-Western 4 Days • Carnival Cruise Lines • Fascination

- This one also begins from Miami, but it will made stops in Key West and Cozumel with a day at sea

- Same schedule as option 1

Option 3

Caribbean-Western 5 Days • Carnival Cruise Lines • Celebration

- Begins from Jacksonville and stops at Nassau and Key West with 2 days at sea

- Depart June 3rd and return June 8th (I am not too keen on this one as it has 2 days at sea)

Option 4

Bahamas 4 Days • Royal Caribbean Int. • Sovereign of the Seas

- Departs from Port Canaveral and will stop at Coco/Little Stirrup Cay and Nassau (stops for a day in Nassau)

- Depart June 5th and return June 9th

Last option

Bahamas 4 Days • Carnival Cruise Lines • Sensation

- This one departs from Port Canaveral and will stop at Freeport and Nassau (also stops for a day in Nassau)

- Depart June 4th and return June 8th

We have never been to the Carribean/Bahamas, so truthfully I don't know which options is the best for us. My parents aren't too active so they do not plan to do a lot of water activities. Both me and my sister are looking forward to some sort of activities (not too much) while we are at the ports.

Also, is it better to plan the flight arrangement by yourself or have it booked together with the cruise. I am mainly using the Yahoo Travel site in my gathering of information. I might also book thru the local AAA office here if it is better.

I am sorry if my questions may sound stupid or inappropriate, but please help me plan a nice and relaxing short vacation for my parents. Appreciate all inputs. Have a good day.

A few additional questions

What are the immigration requirement for travelling on the Bahamas/Carribean cruise?

As my parents aren't US residents, do they need any type of visa?

What kind of weather can we expect?

First off, if you're flying in from LA, is a 7 day "completely" out of the question. I'm just thinking that flying that far for just 4 or 5 day cruise seems to be not enough time to really relax.

If it is " completely" out of the question, then I'd go w/ option 1 because it has 3 stops. I've only been to Key West out of the 3, but we didn't do any excursions. Son was on crutches so we (he) just hobbled around and hit the port shops. The good thing about any cruise is you can be as active or inactive as you want. So you youngin's take off on the jet skies and Mom & Dad can take a bus tour. You get my point.

I've always had t/a get the flights, although I did them myself for next cruise. Couldn't pass on direct flights that dropped $500.00(ish) in one day.

Seeing I'm from Canada I'm not sure about the travel documents, passport definately. I'm sure you'll get a lot more people in here to help with that.

Weather, You get what you get and don't blame the ship, LOL, as some people actually do. Yes I've heard them. However I suspect quite warm.

Hope you have a great time and I bet Mom & Dad will show you "youngin's" up on the dance floor.

Hi there! We were on the Majesty 4 day cruise last year at the beginning of June. The weather was gorgeous...though the first tropical storm of the year blew in on our way home. With all the stops there was lots to do. Check out some of the other boards here to get ideas on which excursions are good. We wandered around Nassau...though our tablemates took a tour excursion that sounded like lots of fun. CocoCay was a fun day at the beach, and in Key West we took in lots of shops, the Conch Train Tour, Aquarium and Ship Wreck museum. There are plenty of things going on onboard to please you and the folks. The shows were great and we had lots of yummy food. Hmmmm, makes me want to plan another cruise just remembering all the fun we had! :o) Enjoy!!

Alleson

I have done #1 and really enjoyed it. There is lots to see in Nassau, walking tour, Straw Market, Atlantis, is worth seeing while in Nassau. I have been to Cozumel, but not since the hurricane. Others will have to speak what you can now do there.

Wow. Really appreciate all the inputs. Yeah. In a ideal world, I would like the cruise to be at least 7 days, but my parent's busy schedule and mine doesn't allow for that. I have been reading some stuffs and I am leaning towards option 1 and 2. Key West is probably one of the port that is considered a must in the cruise. How about Cozumel and Nassau? Are they comparable? Which one offers the best value? One of the other factor that I considered is also the port of departure. To my understanding, the airfares to Miami would be more widely available and competitively priced, if compared to the other ports (such as Jacksonville, Port Canaveral). Is it true? I am considering flying a day earlier if I am arranging my own flights as I dont wanna risk missing the cruise.

Please keep all the inputs coming in. I will also pop in regularly to share what I find from the internet and the T/A. This way, I hope it will also help others who are in the same situation as I am.

~breezes~

cococrust

I would recommend one out of Miami...you have 2 airports that are easily available/less costly than flying into Orlando (port canaveral cruise) or Jacksonville (jacksonville cruise)...

I am looking at the Majesty as well, I have been to Nassau, Freeport, Key West, Cozumel, but not Coco Cay (which I'm very excited about). Key West is def. a place to try to stop at, not water intensive, but lots of things to see/do. I love Cozumel, been there 3x, not since the hurricanes, but I just go there to go to the beach and carlos & charlies and just get super drunk, usually stumble back to the boat and pass out/miss dinner...probably not what you're looking for for this particular trip, but there is other things to do there as well, that is just what I do...

I'm really looking forward to cruising on the Majesty though...

As far as flying, you could get away with catching a redeye out of LA, getting to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale airport at like 6-8am, and getting on the boat that day, but keep in mind you may be jet lagged and tired that first day (I have to fly from Las Vegas, so I feel your pain, I just refuse to waste an entire day on an airplane and will deal with being tired (don't want to be on a plane from 7a-7p during the day, would rather be on a flight that leaves at 10p and arrives at like 8a...or you could catch the redeye, arrive early the day before your cruise, and go to a hotel and relax for the day and be primed for your cruise the next day...

Can't help you with any of the other things though, I always book through RCCL (although this time I may go through a travel agent to try to get free travel insurance...) and haven't traveled with any non-US Citizens...

Thanks there, tbone81. Hmm, right now I am pretty set heavily on the RC cruises. But I noticed that the cabin sizes on Carnivals are larger than RC. Does that really matter? (my last cruise, i got a deal on a suite and this will be my 1st time getting an outside stateroom). Cabin size won't matter too much for me as I would spend little time in it, but my parents might probably spend more time in it so comfort is a priority for them.

I have noticed that getting my own air arrangements are cheaper, but is it very risky? I know that the advantages of booking everything together with the cruise are that the cruise line are responsible for getting you to the cruise (in the event of any mishaps) and that if they arrange you to fly the day before, the hotel stay and transfers are all included. Would saving $150 or so be worth the risks? I am kinda risk-averse so I usually only go for risks if there are big gains (who doesn't :D)

Is Key West really a port that I can't miss? some members of my party are leaning towards option 4 as they think that there are more things to do in Nassau and aren't really that interested in what Key West have to offer. One last question that I need to ask is regarding travel insurance. Is it better to get it from the cruise line or get it elsewhere? What are the steps needed to be done if I am getting it elsewhere (I assume insurance fee will just be added to the total cost if I book it with the cruise line).

Thanks a lot for all the inputs. I am a total n00bie and really appreciated all the wonderful replies from the veterans :)

Nassau is a really neat place....the Atlantis is a must, carriage rides, straw market and lots of shops near the ship......

Cozumel....although heavily damaged by the hurricane.... is coming back....Paradise Beach is a beautiful beach to spend the day at.... you will have to tender there if it makes a difference and not in Nassau

If you could swing a 7 day cruise, The Miracle out of Tampa is wonderful....

If you do Miami, definitely check flying into Ft. Lauderdale. It is cheaper by far....

I have taken option 1, was a very nice cruise. I loved Coco Cay and found plenty to do in Nassau and Key West. Love the Majesty of the Seas.

DH and I are in our 50's and do not spend alot of time in our cabin. We both prefer Royal Caribbean to Carnival and don't mind that the cabins are slightly smaller.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your cruise.

Archived