Things I learned from these boards

fotoguy

My cruise is over, that really sucks. But I thought I would share some of the things I learned from cruise clues that I think will benefit other cruisers.

1) Ask for a second mattress. The beds are as thin as everyone says and would have been difficult to sleep on if we had not known to ask for a second mattress. Someone wrote at one point that they asked for an egg crate and the steward looked at them strange, like they didn't know what she was talking about. I am sure that they didn't have a clue. Ask for a second mattress, you will sleep better.

2) Bring a bungee cord. If you have a verandah, bring a bungee cord to keep your door propped open if you want to enjoy the sound of the ocean while you are in bed.

3) Order your Drink of the Day EXTRA LARGE. It isn't but fifty cents or a dollar more, but it is well worth it.

4) Don't punch a hole in your Costa card. Despite what someone suggested several times before I went on my cruise, DO NOT punch a hole in your card and put a string through it to wear around your neck. It sounds like a convenient way to carry your card around, but if you punch that hole in the card, you will not be able to purchase drinks.

A hole in the card tells the bartenders that you are not of age to purchase booze.

5) Arrange a definite place and time to meet your CC friends. If you would like to meet the people you have been talking to on line here, set a definite time and place. The ship is large and there are a lot of people. Trying to find someone can be a challenge. Also, give your friends a description of yourself. It is amazing how everyone on board looks the same.

I learned so much more, but I can't think of any more right now. I have to get to...work. Boy that sucks.

Have a great trip.

Another thing I learned from these message boards was you CAN definitely "stash" some personal beverages in your carry on baggage without worry.

Being the overly cautious person I am, I did not want to break any rules and embarrass myself. So while at the first port of call, I stopped a Costa employee and asked her if the security people would stop me if I put some drinks into my carry on bag. She said that they wouldn't stop me.

So I got a couple of 12 packs of soda and a couple of bottles of rum and tequilla, put them in a carry on bag and ran it through the x-ray machine.

DO NOT FEEL GUILTY OR WORRY THAT YOU MIGHT GET CAUGHT! They do not stop you from bringing it on board and into your room. The soda alone saved me $50 easily.

We brought vodka and wine on board with no problem, but they did take my bottle of tequila in Cozumel. Wasn't an issue for me since I bought it for a gift and they did return it the night of departure.

They were confiscating quite a few bottles in that port, I didn't notice them taking any booze in any of the other ports.

Another good thing to bring is an extension cord or power strip, as there is only one outlet in each room.

-Ron and Jane

Costa Med March 5, 2006

Another good thing to bring is an extension cord or power strip, as there is only one outlet in each room.

-Ron and Jane

Costa Med March 5, 2006

On the Med what sort of power sockets are they - US two prong, European two prong or UK 3 prong? Thanks!

I just return from last week's cruise and I believe the bathroom shaver socket accommodated both 115V( 2 flat pins ) American and 230 V ( 2 round pins ) european and british ( 3 pins ) plugs. The one electrical unit in the stateroom also could handle all three I believe, including 3 prong American. There is definitely 230V available as the ship was built in Finland. I would bring an adapter to 2 prong european sockets just in case as I only used American style plugs being from Canada.

Archived