Things to do in Victoria

oh , victoria is beautiful! try to check out Butchart Gardens, they are stunning. and go by the Empress Hotwel downtown for tea. There are so many wondeful old bookstores, and antique shops in the down town core too, that yo can spend a couple hours window shopping.

I will second the suggestion for High Tea at the Empress. Check their website for times. But remember, this is not a "tourist haunt". Be prepared to be appropriately dressed (definitely no jeans or running shoes/sneakers). You will enjoy a selection of the world's most wonderful teas, and tea sandwiches and tiny pastries that my Victorian mother-in-law would have revelled in!! It's a great experience, but my advice is to not try to mold the experience to you, but to enjoy the experience for what it is....and you will have a wonderful time. In other words... politeness and MANNERS.

Regards

Should the weather be a bit inclement the Royal BC Museum presents the history of BC by having you walk through the woods, town & industry of the province. Also the Imax theatre is on site as well. The museum is right on the main corner of the Harbour.

We're on your cruise, too! There's a roll call if you'd like see what others are planning.

I'll second the Butchart Gardens suggestion. My husband, who is not a gardener, is still talking about them (we visited two years ago).

Last summer, we took one of the little harbour ferries (right across the street from the Empress Hotel) and ferried around the harbor and up to the Gorge Waterway. We got off at Fisherman's Wharf so we could have lunch at Barb's Fish & Chips, then picked up another little ferry for the trip back to town. Very cute, and you'll get good information about Victoria from the skipper.

Adele

• 1 month later...

okay, this is a little recycling but it is also current:

I am another one of those who live here in Victoria. If I may be as bold to suggest skip butterfly world, you can see a version of it at most zoo's. Undersea Gardens is okay but not as outstanding as one may think. One the other hand, I would definately recommend you see the Royal BC Museum - http://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/. It is located right on the inner harbour and will take about two hours to visit. It will give you a great idea of what BC is about from a natural and historical perspective. That may sound kind of dull but really it is quite interesting.

Other kind of must things to do;

Stroll the inner harbour - there's lots of buskers and a world class view. If you feel very wealthy go for tea at the Empress. There are many better and more economical places to have tea, but the Empress has the longest history and is very convient.

Go on a pub crawl by boat;

There is a little ferry boat running in the inner harbour that will take you so some of the best local pubs in town. Catch a taxi, or better yet a pedicab from the ship to Fisherman's wharf. Then jump on the Victoria Harbour Ferry - http://www.harbourferry.com and go over to Spinnaker's Brew Pub, from there after a pint, ferry it again to The Empress and lift a glass in the Bengal Lounge, off again to the Canoe Club. If you have time, you can go up the gorge to Point Ellice House - http://www.britishcolumbia.com/attractions/?id=72. IMO, it is the best place in Victoria for high tea and as an added bonus, its haunted. From there take the long ride up the Gorge to the Gorge Point Inn. There is a reversing waterfall there that most people don't know about. Finally head back to the Empress where there is more fun at Bastion Square.

Take the double decker bus ride, its a great way to see our city.

Victoria downtown is a wonderful spot for walking, it is not very big and there are lots of festivals during the summer.

Have a wonderful holiday,

I'm trying to decide if I should take a package tour, or go on my own, and price is one of the issues. Could anyone tell me what the charge is for Tea if you book with the hotel?

TIA

Katie:)

Hello Katie,

i just got off the phone with the Empress. If you come before the end of June it is $48 Canadian, then after then it goes up to $54. They suggest you make a reservation. There is a free shuttle the cruiselines offer into Downtown Victoria, the shuttle drops you right at the Empress. So this may work better for you. I am unsure the price the cruiselines chareg.

Hello Katie,

i just got off the phone with the Empress. If you come before the end of June it is $48 Canadian, then after then it goes up to $54. They suggest you make a reservation. There is a free shuttle the cruiselines offer into Downtown Victoria, the shuttle drops you right at the Empress. So this may work better for you. I am unsure the price the cruiselines chareg.

Thanks! That was just what I was wondering, and didn't think to call the hotel.

Katie:o

another local here.

If you want a little cheaper version of what to do in town. You can walk to Beacon Hill Park which is free and very very beautiful.

Tea at Empress Hotel is grand, tasty, and rushed. You will have to dress appropriately but no one from here has tea there.

I agree with Blamar, Point Ellis House is great. Take the little water ferries there and have have a wonderful view of Victoria and I think a much superior tea.

James Bay Tea Room is behind the Parliament Buildings which are on the Inner Harbour. Very English tea.

Walk down to China town. Go to Antique Row on Fort or watch free glass blowing at the corner of Broad and Yates at Starfish Glass.

You can walk from Fisherman's Wharf through the inner harbour through the town. Interesting walk.

Walk around the inner harbour. Undersea Gardens are only interesting if you have someone who is under 4 in your party. My daughter thought it was too babyish when she was 4.

another local here.

If you want a little cheaper version of what to do in town. You can walk to Beacon Hill Park which is free and very very beautiful.

Tea at Empress Hotel is grand, tasty, and rushed. You will have to dress appropriately but no one from here has tea there.

I agree with Blamar, Point Ellis House is great. Take the little water ferries there and have have a wonderful view of Victoria and I think a much superior tea.

James Bay Tea Room is behind the Parliament Buildings which are on the Inner Harbour. Very English tea.

Walk down to China town. Go to Antique Row on Fort or watch free glass blowing at the corner of Broad and Yates at Starfish Glass.

You can walk from Fisherman's Wharf through the inner harbour through the town. Interesting walk.

Walk around the inner harbour. Undersea Gardens are only interesting if you have someone who is under 4 in your party. My daughter thought it was too babyish when she was 4.

Thanks! I'm printing this post out to take with me to Victoria. Your ideas sound great.

Katie

Archived