steps/stairs

TracersQQ

I have moderate to severe Athritis is the right side of my lower body (Back, hip knee foot), this leg is, also, 1 inch shorter than my left leg and my Femur bone has a severe curve to it. I am really worried about all of the steps while the ship is rocking. Does anyone think (I will use the handrail) that I will have a problem? Because of this difference in my legs, it has really messed with my equalibrium and I'm not too steady on my feet when walking on a surface that is normal (Such as in the rain when the cement is slightly slippery or on ice, hills and uneven surfaces also cause me problems.) I wasn't too concerned about the ships rocking, but when I saw pictures, there seemed to be a lot of steps into dining rooms and such, I know there are elevators to go to a higher or lower deck. I hope you all understand what I'm trying to ask. Thanks in advance for any replies.

If you have problems with steps you will be able to avoid them unless you are on a very small ship. On the day you board, before the ship leaves the dock go to where the maitre' d is located and tell him/her that you have problems with steps and need a table without a step. They should be able to accomodate you. One of the hardest things I ever did was get a rolling walker. I both hate it and love it but when I use it I don't have to worry about falling and my real fear is that a broken hip would end my ambulation all together. Have you considered using a cane or a walker? If you tell us what ship you are on someone who has been on that ship will be able to tell you what to expect.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I use a cane when I know that I will do a lot of walking. I fear of falling, as well, because I will be layed up for several months. There is just too much to experience in life for me to be layed up - ;) . Anyway, if it helps I will be on Carnival, Victory. By the way, I thought they assigned you a table, I didn't know that I could ask the Maitre' d to seat me somwhere specific.

The Carnival Victory is ver accessible and very little rocking unless of course you get into very high seas. Usually I can't detect any movement at all unless I watch the water. I have MS walk with an unsteady gait so I use a cane to steady myself or if my MS is having it's way I use my scooter. The crew is great and always willing to help. If you need a medical device to give yourself more confidence go for it. I went the other route for years and it just isn't worth it. You will be surprised how many others just like you there will be. Go Enjoy!

The Victory as stated is a brand new ship and very modern. There are automatic doors to help you too. Do use a cane on board at all times. Check your program when you get to your room and also you table number. Go see the Mait'd immediately when he/she is available. Check out where you table is and have him/her change it if it is to far or crowded area. They will accommodate the disabled and medical problems as soon as possible. If you are a group ensure that you have everyones room numbers and filos numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

I may sound dumb but I just don't know what this is. :o I am a first time cruiser and we will have to go to the dining room to make sure I can navigate to my seat ok as I will be using a wheelchair or a rolator. I did not realize we would have to have information for the others in our party but it does make sense. Thanks for your help.

Archived