muster drills

oldmancurtis

I wish the big cruise lines could do like the small ships and do a "roll call" at muster. It would take forever, but it shows me that the line really knows who is missing or at the wrong station. I can only imagine how long it could take to do something like this on the Freedom of the Seas.......

"Muster drill will be from 1600 to 2330 this evening. Dinner sacks will be handed out when you reach your muster stations":o

When I was on Galaxy a while back, getting people together for the drill took so long that by the time I made it out to the lifeboat area, they were telling us to turn around and go back in because it was over! :eek:

Funny this thread is here. I was on the April 8 Zenith cruise and have some words about the muster drill, especially after the recent episodes on other ships. Our muster station I believe was the Rendezvous Lounge. All the parts from the announcement of the drill, and being directed to the muster station was done very professionally. These people take this part seriously and seem to make it so they aren't being over-the-top about it. The part that might be the most important is where they fail miserably. This is the part where the direct you outside to the lifeboat, line you up, then you "listen" to the captain, or other Officer on the 1MC (loudspeaker?) about the procedure. Because of the lack of supervision I could not hear anything that was coming from the speaker because of how a bunch of people around me were talking. When the drill was over a women in front of me had asked if I heard anything. I remember the same thing happened on the Carnival Inspiration last year so it isn't a Celelbrity only issue. This is a procedural issue. I'm quite sure the Captain and the Coast Guard would not be very happy to know that manypeople have no idea what they are saying during this drill. That was the only bad experience I had with my cruise. So, if you feel comfortable with knowing half the safety instructions then it will be okay! :)

I wish the big cruise lines could do like the small ships and do a "roll call" at muster. It would take forever, but it shows me that the line really knows who is missing or at the wrong station. I can only imagine how long it could take to do something like this on the Freedom of the Seas.......

"Muster drill will be from 1600 to 2330 this evening. Dinner sacks will be handed out when you reach your muster stations":o

On all my Royal Caribbean cruises, even on the Voyager class, they've checked people off on a list as you arrive, that way they don't have to wait and call people's names once the drill actually starts. They do it by cabin numbers as your cabin number is on the front of your life jacket.

As Wrona mentioned, our experience with muster drills on RCI has been that they check off your cabin number as you enter the muster area. Probably a lot more efficient than calling out cabin numbers and checking everyone off that way. How many occasions have you misheard the numbers called and started to respond when you realized that it wasn't your number that was being announced?:)

After the Star Princess incident, one would hope that passengers will pay more attention to what is going on during the drill and listen to the information which is being provided. At least we should be spared, for a while at least, the threads asking for tips on how to skip the drill.

As Wrona mentioned, our experience with muster drills on RCI has been that they check off your cabin number as you enter the muster area. Probably a lot more efficient than calling out cabin numbers and checking everyone off that way. How many occasions have you misheard the numbers called and started to respond when you realized that it wasn't your number that was being announced?:)

After the Star Princess incident, one would hope that passengers will pay more attention to what is going on during the drill and listen to the information which is being provided. At least we should be spared, for a while at least, the threads asking for tips on how to skip the drill.

I was on a cruise the day after the Star Princess incident aand several people thought they could skip the muster drill. That night coming back from dinner, I passed several cabins that had notes in their doors advising them when their make-up muster drill would be. I was just laughing as I know some of these people thought they had gotten out of it.

Archived