Just how bad is King's Wharf?

I Luv Crusin

Kings Wharf is the old Dockyards. With the high speed ferries you are 20 minutes from Hamilton and one hour from St George. Horseshoe bay is 1/2 hour by bus...its ok. It Beautiful Bermuda. I would rather dock at the other Bermuda ports but its better than the Bahamas.

I'm just starting my Bermuda research for fall 2007. I noticed that there is a 5 day Royal Caribbean cruise that docks at King's Wharf. Is it worth it? Plus and minuses.

thanks!

It's Bermuda, clean and beautiful. The only draw back might be the location for night life and the Distance from St. George. However it does have watersports, limited shopping, arts, and a museum. The time spent on a bus from the dockyard to the beaches is just as long from Hamilton, and a lot closer to the popular beaches than St. George.

I've been to all three and I would gladly go back to either anytime.

I'd have to agree with captNcrunch I love any part of Bermuda. We loved the Wharf's area and DH loved the museum and glass blowing factory and took the bus to Horseshoe Bay and ferry over to Hamilton & St. George's. From what I understand they have a water park at the end of the Wharf area that should be good.

This year we're doing the Empress and staying in St George's & Hamilton and can't wait.

Enjoy, Debbie

I found the shopping very "ho-hum" on King's Wharf, the glass blowing factory very disappointing, and the fort-- well just another fort. But I really loved the snorkel park.

Even if the area isn't for you, it's easy enough to get around Bermuda. Lots to do.

Surfgirl, isn't it funny how we all have different opinions.;) I loved the glass blowing factory, my DH thought I was crazy I sat there for an hour just watching, now of course he loved the fort and I was like you, just another fort, must be a guy thing.

Debbie

Don't forget the Frog and Onion! Worth being in Kings Wharf for that alone! I would rather dock in Hamilton, but as other posters have said, Kings Wharf is fine. Very easy to get around Bermuda. I think Kings Wharf is much better than St George's.

We took the Empress of the Seas in 2003 and docked in Kings Wharf. From there, we rented a scooter and went all over. Although you have to be really careful on those scooters! :eek:

Anyway, we are looking at the 5-day out of NJ on June 11 and it only docks in Kings Wharf. But, we'll just rent the scooter again and do what we did last time. We had a lot of fun in Bermuda and on that cruise!

From what everyone says, there are many ways to get over to Hamilton!

Oh, one more thing... my husband LOVES the Frog and Onion Pub. He's been there 3 times, myself once, and it was fun! Will definately stop in if we make this cruise on June 11! :D

yeah, swizzle inn was fun and so was Frog and the Onion! And there is one in Hamilton too..... Hog Penny??? :p

I hope we can book this Bermuda cruise leaving June 11! We have to wait for my husband's new schedule to come out on May 8. :mad:

Bermuda is a beautiful place to visit and you'll love it there no matter where you dock at.

King's Wharf is nice for your first visit. You can easily walk around and enjoy the shops and history of the area. Shopping (IMHO) is not that great and I would rather go to Hamilton. The Frog & Onion is the hot spot and probably the only place open at night. You'll definitely see many passengers as well as crew. Last time we docked in KW, DH/I took a walk after dinner and it was very nice/peaceful. I was able to get some great pictures of the ship at night and plan on doing that again in September.

Bermuda's transportation system is wonderful and we use that whenever we visit the island. The bus stop/ferry is a short walk from the ship and it's not that expensive.

Another hot spot in Hamilton is Flanagan's. You can sit outside on the balcony and have a great view of Hamilton Harbor if no ships are docked in Hamilton. It's also fun to people watch on Front Street. It's one of our favorite hangouts since we can get Kilkenny (beer) there.

Depending on what your schedule is you'll definitely have to visit Horseshoe Bay Beach. It's gorgeous and one of the top beaches in Bermuda. You can get there via. bus.

Good luck with your research!

Another hot spot in Hamilton is Flanagan's. You can sit outside on the balcony and have a great view of Hamilton Harbor if no ships are docked in Hamilton. It's also fun to people watch on Front Street. It's one of our favorite hangouts since we can get Kilkenny (beer) there.

:D :D We just ate there on Saturday! The food was great and they give you so much!!! Also, and this may sound nuts, but I was dying for a fountain Diet Pepsi since all we had on the ship was Diet Coke in the can! We did sit on the balcony and it was beautiful being able to look out over the water in Hamilton and watch the water taxi come and go! I would love to go back someday and spend some more time there!

Bermuda is a beautiful place to visit and you'll love it there no matter where you dock at.

King's Wharf is nice for your first visit. You can easily walk around and enjoy the shops and history of the area. Shopping (IMHO) is not that great and I would rather go to Hamilton. The Frog & Onion is the hot spot and probably the only place open at night. You'll definitely see many passengers as well as crew. Last time we docked in KW, DH/I took a walk after dinner and it was very nice/peaceful. I was able to get some great pictures of the ship at night and plan on doing that again in September.

Bermuda's transportation system is wonderful and we use that whenever we visit the island. The bus stop/ferry is a short walk from the ship and it's not that expensive.

Depending on what your schedule is you'll definitely have to visit Horseshoe Bay Beach. It's gorgeous and one of the top beaches in Bermuda. You can get there via. bus.

Good luck with your research!

LetsParty,

Tell me more about the bus/ferry transportation system. Is it a package deal where you can use both bus and ferry? Do you remember how much it is? Can you pretty much travel the whole island this way?

We are on the 5/14/06 NCL Crown.

We were last in Bermuda in September of 2004 -- at that time, a one day pass for the bus and ferry system was $12, and it went to $28 for 3 days. Yes, you can use both the bus and the ferry with a pass, and yes, you can get around the whole island between the two.The ferry rides are a real find --- the trip from KW over to Hamilton is lovely and gives you great views of some of the beautiful homes and scenery that line the harbor. And in answer to another question -- the Swizzle Inn is top notch but it's across the island from KW, very close to St. George. It's pretty close to the caves and the perfume factory, however, if anyone is venturing over there.

4crazycruisers:

On RCI, we were able to obtain ferry/bus passes on the ship which was something new. It saved us time waiting on line at King's Wharf. Maps of Bermuda were offered as well. Not sure if NCL offers this.

Listed below is the fare information that is valid for the ferry/bus.

http://www.seaexpress.bm

Once you're at the website, click on "fare information".

We used the bus one way and the ferry the other. Both rides were nice since you were able to get a tour of the land/sea. You can use ferry/bus to tour the entire island on your own. We've done this several times and loved it.

If you other questions please let me know and I'll do what I can to help. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.

ChiChi27:

So happy that you had a great time at Flanagan's. That is one of my favorite places to hang out and have a few pints. It's a tradition to stop there on our cruise. I'm not able to get Kilkenny in the states so I get my fill in Bermuda. Sitting on the balcony with a pint is wonderful. I can't wait to go back there in Sept.!

Archived