Belize ain't America- be careful of beaches and taxis

N20man

Hello to all

My family was on the Carnival Miracle and went cave tubing. It was nice and he is well respected and gives young men good paying jobs On our way back we saw two young girls 18-20 yo? running to the tender. there looked very scared.Here is the story from one of the families who was with the parents of the girls. I was told this right after it happened.

The two girls where with their families at a beach on their own. the familes went back to town and the ship and told the girls to flag a taxi down in about 2 hours. the young girls did and a blue van stopped for them. The man with a pony tail took them almost to town and told the girl closest to the door " go get $300.00 if you want to to see your friend again" pointing to the other girl who restrained. the first girl was dropped off at the port and ran into some friends from the ship she was terrified and told them her story- one of them went back to ship notified Carnival along the way and returned with their parent. the first girl stayed on shore with the rest of the family got port authority who contacted Belize police.

The police asked the girl if the guy had a pony tail and was driving a blue van. they appearantly know this guy. THe parents of all the girls arrived and spoke with police. The pony tailed guy showed up with the 2nd girl and the police interveined and spoke with pony-tail man. The police told the parnts that the girls owned this guy money for ??? and a $300 fine would solve problem.

One of the dads said he was a Lawyer and this was a Bulls%^& shakedown grabbed the girls and told them to run. the parents all left.

This is when we saw the girls running.

Moral of the story- Belize is not Kansas you dont have rights. Belize is sorta like the Arizona Territories from 100 years ago lots of guns not a lot of jobs. -

From our State Department-The incidence of crime, including violent crimes such as armed robbery, shootings, stabbings, murder, and rape, is on the rise. The Embassy has noted an increase in recent years in reports of crimes against tourists at resorts and on the roadways and river ways. The incidence of crimes such as theft, burglary, purse snatching and pick-pocketing rises around the winter holidays and spring break. Several victims who resisted when confronted by criminals have received serious personal injuries, including gunshot wounds. Although the majority of reported incidents are in Belize City, crime occurs in all districts including tourist spots such as San Pedro, Caye Caulker, and Placencia.

Sexual harassment and/or assault of females traveling alone or in small groups has occurred this past year. Several American travelers have been the victims of sexual assaults in recent years. At least one of these rapes occurred after the victim accepted a lift from an acquaintance, while another occurred during an armed robbery at an isolated resort.

To minimize the risk of being targeted, visitors should travel in groups, stay off the streets after dark, in urban and rural areas, and avoid wearing jewelry, or carrying valuable or expensive items. As a general rule, valuables should not be left unattended, including in hotel rooms and on the beach. Care should be taken when carrying high value items such as cameras, or when wearing expensive jewelry on the street. Women's handbags should be zipped and held close to the body. Men should carry wallets in their front pants pocket. Large amounts of cash should always be handled discreetly.

Armed robberies of American tourist groups have been reported near the western border with Guatemala in the past few years, several of which escalated to sexual assault. In the past, criminals have targeted popular Mayan archeological sites in that region. Visitors should travel in groups and should stick to the main plazas and tourist sites. Although there are armed guards posted at some of the archeological sites, armed criminals have been known to prey on persons walking from one site to another. Victims who resist when confronted by these armed assailants frequently suffer personal injury. The number of armed robberies on river ways in the western districts increased significantly in early 2005.

Travel on rural roads, especially at night, increases the risk of encountering criminal activities. Widespread narcotics and alien smuggling activities can make remote areas especially dangerous. Though there is no evidence that Americans in particular are targeted, criminals look for every opportunity to attack, so all travelers should be vigilant.

Rather than traveling alone, use a reputable tour organization. It is best to stay in groups, travel in a caravan consisting of two or more vehicles, and stay on the main roads. Ensure that someone not traveling with you is aware of your itinerary. Travelers should resist the temptation to stay in budget hotels, which are generally more susceptible to crime, and stay in the main tourist destinations. Do not explore back roads or isolated paths near tourist sites. And remember always to pay close attention to your surroundings.

Americans visiting the Belize-Guatemala border area should consider carefully their security situation and should travel only during daylight hours. Vehicles should be in good operating condition, adequately fueled, and carry communications equipment. Persons traveling into Guatemala from Belize should check the Consular Information Sheet for Guatemala and the U.S. Embassy web site at http://usembassy.state.gov/guatemala for the latest information about crime and security in Guatemala.

A lack of resources and training impedes the ability of the police to investigate crimes effectively and to apprehend serious offenders. As a result, a number of crimes against Americans in Belize remain unresolved. Nonetheless, victims of crime should report immediately to the police all incidents of assault, robbery, theft or other crimes. Tourists may contact the Belizean tourist police unit as well as the main police office for assistance.

Young Girls should not be left alone in foreign countries (remember Aruba?) Police in other countries may be extremely underpaid and looking for shakedown money.

I have been with US Government for 23 years -the naivity of US citizens never ceases to amaze me. :eek:

be careful.

I thought Belize was very interesting but in a scary sort of way....yes, beautiful water and the potential to be another tourist meca but I would not venture out of the port area.....we did cross the gate and went into the little flea market area that is right across from the port area....I probably would not do that again, as locals tried to block the entrance to the port area from us when we were returning to the secured area....I guess they figure your money is gone once you are back in the secured area...a policeman guarding the gate saw what was happening and physically removed the two locals from our path...I would never under any circumstance allow my daughter to venture out alone in Belize or any other country for that matter....

We are cruising again to Belize and thought about taking the City tour excursion with the cruiseship but I am rethinking that decision.

We really enjoyed our time in Belize.....

but I had been forwarned to book an excursion and not venture off on my own....so we went cave tubing all day in a beautiful country setting....it was absolutely breathtaking walking through the rain forest, tubing and at the restaurant where we had lunch.....

Belize City itself did not look like a place I wanted to spend alot of time.... I would go again but follow the same guidelines we did last time....

I had 5 teenage girls with me and I will tell you there is no way I would have left them alone in any port we were in but least of all Belize....

We, too, had problems at the gate area. We had done the Carnival Altun Ha/River Wallace Tour. We has some time left, and considered going to a store the guide had shown us that was only 2 blocks away. We went to walk out of the gated area, and were so harassed by folks hanging around outside that we decided not to go.

The police came over, and shut the gates. My daughter (11 at the time), just wanted to get back to the ship!:mad: For comparison purposes, it was far, far worse than Jamaica.

Sounds like Carnival needs to either add a day at sea or find another port until the folks at this port get the message...behave or we won't come back.

I was trying to remember the Southern Caribbean port where this was a problem. They literally had the police forming a ring around the "entrance" to the ship area holding back the "locals". My youngest son and I were just going right "outside the ring" to get a refrigerator magnet (we collect one from each port). One of the officers was kind enough to walk the 20 steps with me to purchase it. Even with him there, the locals swarmed the minute we got past "the line". They scared my son and then "bubba momma mode" took over. Apparently a firm "back off now" (with my witch face) did the trick. We purchased the magnet and walked back without anyone else approaching us. I definately will never cross another line like that again with my son...especially just for a magnet.

We will be on the Miracle in October. Looks like Belize will end up being a day of enjoying a quiet ship.

That's really scarry! I wasn't planning on doing anything more than just shopping at the port area here. My grandmother is cruising there this month so I'll have to find out what she thinks of it. I know they're meeting some Sisters of Charity of Nazereth nuns and may go outside the gates. My cousin that is an SCN is going and the nuns have a school or something there. Should be interesting to hear about.

• 2 years later...

Crime in America actually per capita is lower than Belize. Rapes in Kansas outside of Kansas City lower than National Average. Belize hmmm not reported as much data hard yo find. Guns in Arizona, Lots and lots I hope so with Mexico becoming a failed Narco-State.

any parent that would leave young girls alone, on a beach, in any country (including the U.S.) should have thier head examined!!! to put those girls in that danger is unforgiveable. to do it in a foreigh country is worse.

it's not belize's fault that those girls had stupid parents.

BUT i don't recommend just wandering about any foreign country. the tours are great. we did a ship tour and, always, felt safe.

just because you are on vacation, don't forget your common sense.

Just got back from the NCL Spirit yesterday. Did two different tours in Belize - one was the city tour/airboat ride that we booked at the port. Good time, very informative and the kids loved the airboat ride. On returning back to port, we dropped off the kids and the wives and the guys took a taxi to the Belican Brewery and did the brewery tour. Returned back to port and had red beans/rice/chicken at the little shopping area outside the port, really good and very spicey. We felt safe the whole time. It must be said though, that we were guys. I would not have felt safe taking my wife/daughter on the brewery trip, or any trip with a cab driver. Stick to the regular tours.

Belize is fine as long as you are smart. I have never felt unsafe there, but I never wander alone through Belize City. I know it's not a smart thing. The fenced in area is there for a reason, and please use common sense! Only leave it if you are with a tour if you are unsure.

I am not saying I doubt your story, but I am not aware of any beach you can take a taxi to and from the port area. That part does not sound correct.

Belize is fine as long as you are smart. I have never felt unsafe there, but I never wander alone through Belize City. I know it's not a smart thing. The fenced in area is there for a reason, and please use common sense! Only leave it if you are with a tour if you are unsure.

I am not saying I doubt your story, but I am not aware of any beach you can take a taxi to and from the port area. That part does not sound correct.

i was thinking the same thing...our tour drove by a sea wall with a very narrow beach...wasn't a pretty beach at all. have heard a couple of hotels have beaches. othewise it's a tender over to a caye. the part of telling kids to " flag down a taxi"...?

I suggest looking here at this news website and then go to the archives and do a search on tourist mugged. Yes some are old but some are not. It kinda gives you a idea of the kinds of crime that they have.

Below are some pics we took when we walked into the city.

Trees are used instead of 2x4 on this new downtown building and what you see will be holding up the second floor.

The last pic shows us walking over the bridge into the city

http://www.channel5belize.com/archive_key_results.php?pageNum_sresult=0&totalRows_sresult=506&keyword=tourist+mugged&Submit=Search

legendcruise041.jpg

legendcruise043.jpg

legendcruise039.jpg

• 5 months later...
I suggest looking here at this news website and then go to the archives and do a search on tourist mugged. Yes some are old but some are not. It kinda gives you a idea of the kinds of crime that they have.

Below are some pics we took when we walked into the city.

Trees are used instead of 2x4 on this new downtown building and what you see will be holding up the second floor.

The last pic shows us walking over the bridge into the city

http://www.channel5belize.com/archive_key_results.php?pageNum_sresult=0&totalRows_sresult=506&keyword=tourist+mugged&Submit=Search

legendcruise041.jpg

legendcruise043.jpg

legendcruise039.jpg

They are not using TREES instead of 2 x 4s....

The tree branches are used when concrete is poured....

Once the concrete is set, the branches are removed.

The wood used for the supports doesn't have to be lumbered wood as it will not be part of the building when construction is complete.

Wendy

Ok I am scared.

I was nervous about Belize from the start but had heard a lot of encouraging things. We have a tour booked through te ship to Lamanai. But I am getting more nervous.

Who in their right mind would leave teenagers alone in a foreign country?

I also have a tour booked through the ship....what else is there to do in the Port area? I don't think I will be venturing out after our tour.

some shopping inside the gated area and a few bars. The last time we were there they had a "wine tasting" that was free. I will NEVER try Cashew Wine again! :eek::eek::eek:

Ok I am scared.

I was nervous about Belize from the start but had heard a lot of encouraging things. We have a tour booked through te ship to Lamanai. But I am getting more nervous.

Who in their right mind would leave teenagers alone in a foreign country?

Seriously, don't worry, you'll be fine. In an organized group, or even with a private tour guide arranged through a reputable agency, you'll be fine. I wouldn't venture deeper into the country on my own on a cruise schedule (might if I had my boyfriend with me if I were on a land vacation and had the luxury of time on my side), but on an organized tour you'll be fine.

Honestly, leaving a teenager alone is a stupid idea even in unfamiliar parts of the US- especially areas where tourism is common and therefore there are probably people prepared to take advantage of an unprepared tourist.

Archived